Hotkey Guide

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Hotkey Guide

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

MrMilo has posted up a very imformative hotkey guide that can help even the most tech-blind people (emp) ;)

Here's a link to the thread:

MrMilo's Hotkey Guide

Check it out people, great guide.
BenS64
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Hotkey Guide

Post by BenS64 »

wow that was a great guide, nice find strokey!
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

Yeah, i read the whole thing yesterday, so in my next game i began practising with the regulars. What i might do is the same sort of thing as him but i dont fine a problem with some of the defaults such as / for explorer or t for town centre and v for make a villie.

I can definatly see how they help now once you learn them properly and i have began using them in my army, but i liek to do some of the micro myself and manually, as with the groups as units die they begin not to 1 shot kill the select targets.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Looks good but I don't recommend his hotkeys, they're a bit unnecessarily different, I mean, is it that hard to get that if you have a vill selected E builds house, B builds rax, S builds stable, A builds artillery foundry, Y builds mill, M builds market, D builds dock, etc, most of the times it's the starting letter. Ctrl E, Ctrl B, Ctrl S, Ctrl A, Ctrl Y, Ctrl M all select the defined buildings. I don't ue the hotkeys to select

Tc just use T, V for queue vill. Warchief/explorer I use / (in my keyboard it's ~) and A for asian ability, D for shot, F for convert..

The bar key for idle vill is a good tip. I dont use but i keep my eye on the up left corner to check for idle vills.

For those without microing skills, there is the attack move command :D You got your army, you see his army, you press Z, click right mouse button, and check how they micro by themselves (they attack the first target they see). This isnt good in all situations but it is very good when using cav cause they're to fast to micro.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Attack move is also good when you have a lot of ranged infantry. I used attack move once before in a clan 3V3 and my skirms took out 12 musketeers on the first volley. I wouldn't recommend using it when there's enemy cav around because you don't want your skirms shooting cav.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]For those without microing skills, there is the attack move command :D You got your army, you see his army, you press Z, click right mouse button, and check how they micro by themselves (they attack the first target they see). This isnt good in all situations but it is very good when using cav cause they're to fast to micro.[/quote]

Is this different for some people? I can put mine in attack mode by holding the Alt key and selecting my target. Parfait's VOD gives good tips on where and how to do this. Very useful when using Cav on Lt Inf.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Attack-move is my best friend. But I don't use it to excess; I selectively move and attack-move so that there are different distances between my RI and his troops. That makes the RI shoot at various targets, killing several, then I withdraw, divide my forces quickly and attack-move again. This really helps... provided your RI has adequate anti-cav protection. I think one of the hardest micro lessons is keeping your pikemen from running into the fray. You need to keep them in a control group and only send them in when you have to.

Attack-move with cav is even better. Just mix them up with some LI or villies, then hit attack-move. The results are devastating.

Hotkeys are great, too. I practice them all the time, even while watching record games. I use T for TC, then spacebar for villie: You can't miss the spacebar!! :o
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)