International football/soccer riots right in my own hometown

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: International football/soccer riots right in my own home

Post by Soccerman771 »

Think what you will, but 50+ nations joined us for the same reason. We have more untapped oil reserves in the US than the middle east has.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I say we need to get oil from alaska they have thousands of open acres that we could drill and it would not get in anybody's way. Hopefully it might reduce oil and gas prices. I can't believe it is over $4 a gallon when it was less than $1 a gallon when my parents were kids.
And to get back to the topic I don't see how anybody can get so excited over a game to start a fight.

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Does Oil start wars? I think the answer is yes; whether it started the current Iraq war is a subject for lively debate. I write essays and I have an essay in the works about "why nations fight." Of course there are the traditional reasons: (1) Property Acquisition; (2) Resources; (3) Religion; (4) Family strife/succession; (5) Commerce. But my thesis is that the deadly, modern wars start for more subtle reasons, like national pride/nationalism. The nationalism problem got bad with Napoleon and has only gotten worse in the following 200 years as nations continually solidified their identities.

Even taking nationalism into account, though, major nations won't go to war unless one key element is present: A large percentage of the population must feel that their "way of life" will be lost without resorting to violence. When people feel that their comfortable existence and "normal circumstances"--ie, working, saving, raising children, eating, "finding happiness"--may drastically change, they will take up arms to stop the threat. A good example is the American Civil War. If large numbers of Southerners did not feel that they truly would lose what they considered a "normal life," they never would have taken up arms against the Union. Revolutions happen for the same reason: When large numbers of people can't stand their everyday circumstances, they will violently overthrow their government. They want better "everyday lives." They want a chance to live comfortably.

Back to the point: soccer riots do not reflect strong social discontent. But they do show that human beings will fight and kill over the most minor matters! And innate human savagery is another question altogether.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Think what you will, but 50+ nations joined us for the same reason. We have more untapped oil reserves in the US than the middle east has.[/quote]

america (well everyone) is not producing enought oil Shell are selling more than there pumping each year. there are millions of wells but they r to small to drill not cost effective.

not thoughts facts