Civ Troubles

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Alanriah
Sergeant
Sergeant

Civ Troubles

Post by Alanriah »

Well my 1st ever civ was russains and i have been them since, but i have recently been finding out its getting tougher to beat civs in team and 1v1's. They always know im going to go musks or strelets or both and i always seem to be out-eco'd by any civ i play against. If anyone has any suggestions for a new civ i should be, preferrably one that would be an easy transition from the russians. Any help would be well appreciated, thank you. :D
Tatltael
Major
Major

Re: Civ Troubles

Post by Tatltael »

PLAY SIOUX
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I know what you mean about getting out-econ'd with the Russians. I learned the game with the Germans but played most of my competitive games with Russia. I had good success with their rush, but if it didn't work, the 270 food per vil issue would totally cripple me: I put all my food into the attack, leaving little food to get past 20 or 23 vils.

As far as a new civ for you, there are lots of choices. I think the Aztecs have a similar play style to the Russian rush... they have big early military shipments and have a barracks that is like a blockhouse (it shoots; it has only 2000HP; you can build it in discovery; and it builds slow). The difference is that the Aztec econ can boom up much faster than the Russian one (you really need to be Fortress before the Russian econ goes beserk).

If you want more econ-oriented civs, try the British, Germans or Dutch. If you are used to an all-out early rush, though, playing these civs will be a bigger change.

BTW- You also said your enemy always expects your muskets and strels. I'm guessing you also throw in cossacks? Personally I like strel/cossack as a combo. In late colonial, it is fantastic. Or springing 10 cossacks on an Aztec rush is also fun.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

if ur looking for "ease-of-use" gogogo japan awaits you, otherwise taste varies from player to player so the best thing you can do is go for some unrated games to try diferent civs.

Civs I would not recommend (give you quite a disadvantage due to semi-broken counter systems): Sioux (cetans), Portuguese (hasn't been decent since vanilla imho), China (has no counter to LI)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Aztec's should have the best transition from Russia IMO for reason's Kaiser mentions. The last thing this game needs is more Japan players. My suggestion would be to learn a mid-level civ like German/Brits/Iroq/China. They all can be top-level if played correctly and you won't stand to loose too much PR due to a transition. But do like endless says and go with a few unrated games before you "switch" unless you're related to Sporting_Lisbon..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Aztec's should have the best transition from Russia IMO for reason's Kaiser mentions. The last thing this game needs is more Japan players. My suggestion would be to learn a mid-level civ like German/Brits/Iroq/China. They all can be top-level if played correctly and you won't stand to loose too much PR due to a transition. But do like endless says and go with a few unrated games before you "switch" unless you're related to Sporting_Lisbon..[/quote]

Very true, tho i've resigned from the war against japan players, let them play, hopefully while they stil can :o
Alanriah
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alanriah »

Thanks guys, i think i will try playing as sioux, they seem like an effective military civ with a good econ. Now i gotta learn what a real sioux deck looks like.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

yay ;] their econ is o-k but their real strength is military / raids. ive been doing a semi FI type thing lately -- success has been crazy ^^
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Tatltael""]yay ;] their econ is o-k but their real strength is military / raids. ive been doing a semi FI type thing lately -- success has been crazy ^^[/quote]

each time I read one of your post u make me wanna go back playing the sioux 8)
now write a B/O :twisted:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I've been on the wrong side of that bow rider/axe rider mass too many times now ... if I thought I had the talent I'd try it myself, but it appears you need a 6th sense to keep dropping them into the enemy's base at exactly the right place.

Probably the most fun way of winning though.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I've been on the wrong side of that bow rider/axe rider mass too many times now ... if I thought I had the talent I'd try it myself, but it appears you need a 6th sense to keep dropping them into the enemy's base at exactly the right place.

Probably the most fun way of winning though.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Good luck with the Sioux. I'm scared of the axe/bow rider mass, too. I've only tried playing as the Sioux a few times and always found it hard to get enough food together for all that cav, with axes costing 160 food apiece. Thankfully they have good shipments. I have lost many German and Russian games to Sioux raiding or later-game wardancing (ie, bowriders and wakinas dealing out 50 damage or some obscene number like that 8O )
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)