EURO 2008

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: EURO 2008

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

Were both teams being too defensive in the boring last night game? There are so little goal attempts compared to Dutch/Russian game. The only exciting part is penalties. Question - are the penalties really hard to stop or are those goalkeepers bit silly (like jumping wrong in opposite direction of the ball)?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Penalties are hard to stop ^^ The goal line is huge and the player can shoot anywhere, goalkeepers only defend it most of the times when the shot isn't good or is weak.

I don't think Spain has many chances, let's see if Turkey gets another miracle vs Germany, that would be amazing :D
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Deciding a game with penalties is like saying "Hey, know what? Let's just flip a coin." But it's not like they could just do another hour of overtime.

I think yesterday's game was so uneventful because Italy is a huge defensive team (not great at much else) and Spain is a big midfield team, so it was kind of a deadlock. Spain dominated passing in the midfield but Italy jammed their half of the field with players and kept the Spanish from accomplishing anything. On the other end, the Italians had too few players on offense to really do anything, and they don't have any great stars who can dribble around defenders and score.

I would be so happy if the finals were Turkey vs Russia. I wouldn't care who wins! But I've got money ($5) riding on Spain winning so hopefully they do win :P.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Deciding a game with penalties is like saying "Hey, know what? Let's just flip a coin." But it's not like they could just do another hour of overtime.

[/quote]

1968 (i think) was the last time a game was decided by flipping a coin. Penalties are a fair and sportive way to get a winner i think.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""][quote=""KingKaramazov""]Deciding a game with penalties is like saying "Hey, know what? Let's just flip a coin." But it's not like they could just do another hour of overtime.

[/quote]

1968 (i think) was the last time a game was decided by flipping a coin. Penalties are a fair and sportive way to get a winner i think.[/quote]

yes so it was. It was a semi final of EUro 1968 Italy vs Soviet Union, Italy won the flip of the coin in the end. This game is the cause of penalty shooting now.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Like my friend at work who supports Italy said: Spain played to win, Italy played not to lose..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

spain looked the better team last night and deserved the win, it was always going to be a dull match thats the way the hi ties ply. The semis should be a bit more open but theres alot to loose so lets hope they dont try to be to defencive.

i think it will be a germay spain final

Germany 2-0 Turkey

Spain 3-2 russia (after xt)

anyone who follows football will know penalties is the only fair way of sorting out a winner at the end of a match its all about pressure who wants it the most.

These r pro footballers hitting the net from 12 yards isnt hard is it?
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Last night I went out to local soccer club to see if penalties are that hard. The goal poles are far too big. Now I can see why those penalties are bloody hard to stop. 8O

Well, I have dared the entire local under-13 girls team to score the penalties and I am bit ashamed to say that I wasn't not able to save any penalties! This dare cost me R500. 8O Bloody girls! :evil:
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Would that be the Laptop or the car? :D lol
Mercedes R500, :O what a car!!! :D
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Aravinthan »

Lol, I play U-16 and just for fun( as we are top in the league) I went goalie. It hurted a bit in offense as we win 1-0 in shootouts. Because I am leaging the team and 2nd in league with 5 goals in 5 games. WEll I am proud to say i stopped their shots!! ALL OF IT. Well more likely 2.... 3 shots were missed. And one of the guy kikced badly and the ball rolling... lol. The other one touched the cross bar fell right into my hands lol. Thats what you call skills :)
A master Piece done by cleeduz
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Lol. No, I lost R500 (rands - South Africa local currency) due to the bet which I had with those bloody girls. :(
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

ohhh :( id prefer a Mercedes R500 personally :D lol
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Aravinthan »

lol
A master Piece done by cleeduz
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

rofl ^^
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Saving a penalty has more to do with luck than it has to do with the goalie's ability (though I am utterly impressed when a goalie manages it). That's why I think it's rather like flipping a coin.

Obviously it's better than actually flipping a coin, but it still comes down to luck more than anything else.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey