New approach to decks

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

New approach to decks

Post by ruminator »

Further to my request to join the clan proper (rather than just running interference on other peoples threads), I've decided that a change of approach is required. I think I'm only ever going to be a 2nd lieut/master sarge by rank unless I spam OP builds all the time, so want a new spin on the game!

So what I now intend to do is to change my decks around totally and not use military shipments, resource cards or villager shipments. I will effectively only play cards for something that I cannot build in game, so faster collection/unit upgrades/unique shipments like forts etc. Spahi and Mercs will therefore be allowed of course (so I thought maybe trying ottoman!), age up politicians with military will also be okay.

Am I mad? Do I have a hope of winning again? Any hints will be welcome. Colonial miltia will be a must in all decks I think!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: New approach to decks

Post by IndyBrit »

You aren't mad. I think you should step outside the box and have some fun with it - it's just a (Nav look away) game.

I think you're going to find that your deck doesn't matter all that much, and you'll probably have similar success with whatever you're doing deck-wise, as long as it fits in with the rest of your play. E.g. Schooners with no boats built is bad, but spahi are fine if you plan to use spahi.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""ruminator""]Further to my request to join the clan proper (rather than just running interference on other peoples threads), I've decided that a change of approach is required. I think I'm only ever going to be a 2nd lieut/master sarge by rank unless I spam OP builds all the time, so want a new spin on the game!

So what I now intend to do is to change my decks around totally and not use military shipments, resource cards or villager shipments. I will effectively only play cards for something that I cannot build in game, so faster collection/unit upgrades/unique shipments like forts etc. Spahi and Mercs will therefore be allowed of course (so I thought maybe trying ottoman!), age up politicians with military will also be okay.

Am I mad? Do I have a hope of winning again? Any hints will be welcome. Colonial miltia will be a must in all decks I think![/quote]

I think you're PR will drop at least 5 against the same skilled people. Resource shipments (especially w/ottos) and military shipments are key to turning battles and eco in your favor. Remember to have fun though. I agree w/Indy on that part. It's just a game! On a side note, is there a reason you haven't joined the clan?
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Looking to join clan now - just held off in case my old clan picked up! It didn't .....

I think I will be vulnerable to a hard rush, which is why I like someone like otto who tend to age up the earliest and so allow me to get a barracks down unhindered.

Looking at an otto water deck, I can have schooners, both fishing upgrade cards, economic theory, advanced docks and privateers (counts as mercs)without too much trouble. If someone doesn't check my deck and rush I could be gathering fish at about double rates after dock upgrades!

Another question though, trickle cards yes or no? I am unsure where they sit in my philisophy. Are they villager/resource cards or merely upgrades?

Hot air balloons will be a must have in all decks!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

trickle cards = yes. counts as vils and are unraidable.

Welcome to the clan..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Hey Ruminator, I just saw your CBall. We fell off pretty quickly didn't we. :-P

Welcome to N3O.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

So what I now intend to do is to change my decks around totally and not use military shipments, resource cards or villager shipments. I will effectively only play cards for something that I cannot build in game
Don't do it! That will only decrease your PR. I've tried it myself. Stick to more classic decks and playing styles and work on improving your technique instead.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]Hey Ruminator, I just saw your CBall. We fell off pretty quickly didn't we. :-P

Welcome to N3O.[/quote]

Sounds like mine. I left and then it was downhill for them from there. It took less than 2 months for the clan to basically dis-band. We had almost 80-90 members at one point. I just looked them up and there is one person in the clan (at member status) and it isn't anyone that I knew (and they haven't played a game since 1/22). I was an officer and pretty much knew everyone (80% at least).

I didn't know what a clan was supposed to be like until this one. :D
jtackel@hotmail.com

lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

Yeah this is a great clan, we don't even have to recruit, the members are coming to us :)

Welcome ruminator
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

I always try these complicated strategies that require this and that and look great on paper and fun to play, but against a classic age up build military guy, just don't work.

Every now and then, you do make something very powerful and complex, just have to think outside the box.

If your losing and having fun, what's the problem (assuming 1v1 here)?
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

i been wonderign when you're gonna join us hehe...welcome

nice deck idea, now tht im on my 360 my games now are purely fun...also the fact tht i suck and seem to not be able to get above m serge lol :(

nice idea best with ottos i agree.....maybe merc spam age 3?

wat about factories??
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I think vill and resource shipments are a must. As for military shipments, I can't remember the last rated game I played where I used one before age 4. In fact, (I play Brits) I don't have any military shipments in any of the decks I use. I have one deck that I use for 1v1 against Otto with military shipments, and that is it.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Ruminator: Welcome, but I don't think your strategy is going to work too well. Sure, it's a good idea to get things that you couldn't get otherwise, but their usefulness matters more. Don't limit yourself to those things.

Indy: I understand that it's a game, I was just frustrated that in a FFA you were going for me nonstop from the beginning, despite me using a joke deck for fun, which just screwed us both over in the long run because everyone else was building up and I never really got a chance to play. All I was doing is hitting town bell. It's just no fun. A game is supposed to be fun more than anything else, but even after I told you that you kept attacking me just as much as before.

Strokey: Military shipments are key. No matter what you're doing unless it's a turtle boom FI, military shipments are what will win you the game.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Strokey: Military shipments are key. No matter what you're doing unless it's a turtle boom FI, military shipments are what will win you the game.[/quote]

I think this is more true in 1v1. I play mainly 3v3's and I don't think it applies in the same way to team games with certain civs.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

In team, you want a strong rush. I'd say military shipments are even more important in team than 1v1. In team you need to spam, and whichever team spams more wins. (provided they make the right units, of course)
Groovy.