Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: The OP Aztecs and how to lame them

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Cyclohexane""]

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]
I think maces will do fine tbh, but only time will tell that.
If a unit is pop-space inefficient, work around that problem. It's not a good idea to mass to 200 pop (while your opponent does the same with better units). Move in sooner and keep pressure on, while replacing the cheap maces at high speed. Fight before pop-space becomes a real game decider.[/quote]

Like in Colonial? I guess my point was that against an Aztec in the next patch, you can gaurantee Colonial combat / rush even more than previous. Colonial Militia will go a long way at keeping those maces off your villagers (1 shot kill) and as the game drags on, thier chances for winning greatly decrease.[/quote]

I meant already in fortress age too. I'm used to work with maces, and tbh, I find em ok, so I expect them to do even better after the patch.
I've beaten Dutch turtle with CM by spamming maces faster than they can kill em. CM might one-shot kill em, but you kill their eco faster.
A while back I saw a rather good player (PR around 40 I think) who even used the age III mace shipment and the Temple of Centeotl Support card that boosts their HP by 25% (for 1k gold). until then, I thought that card wasn't worth it, but it seemed to perform well.
I will surely give aztec a good try :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]A) Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't necessarily mean it isn't lame when it does. Exhibit A: Mass Gendarme Cuirassiers

B) Just because you personally haven't been able to effectively mass Eagles in 1v1 games, doesn't mean it can't be done.

You all keep talking about how "weak" Aztecs are past colonial due to their units and whatever, but why are Aztecs considered one of the strongest civilizations in Treaty and FFA games? Because of their amazing boom and strong late game.

Anyway, I think the horse died a long time ago with this discussion.[/quote]

Gendarmes are also a good example of of a unit the opponent should not allow to be massed. Out of curiosity I took a look at your rated tad games to see what your experience is with these massed hordes of eagles you have no counter to. Surprisingly, you've been too busy laming chinese to have even faced massed eagles. You seem to have found the answer to eagles just like the rest of the 34% of eso playing chinese against the 6% that use Aztecs.

Mac
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Looking at my rated record means very little since only about 5% of the games I play are rated, Mac.

BTW, my point is that I don't agree with the idea that a strategy should be uncounterable if the opponent is allowed to reach a certain point.

Unless the opponent has totally crippled you, you shouldn't ever find yourself in a position where you simply cannot deal with whatever the opponent is using.

"Oh, I let the game get into Industrial, I guess I lose."

That's just as lame as certain civs being screwed on certain maps, or in certain matchups.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

very often fact are pulled way out of proportion... even gendarmes ain't an auto win in IV... you still need the eco, there are still good counters, etc etc etc...

face it, when only a small amount of games are affected by something potentially OP, there's no need to whine about it as if it's keeping you awake at night. If they fix it, good, if they don't (yet), too bad, but it will not change much.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

B) Just because you personally haven't been able to effectively mass Eagles in 1v1 games, doesn't mean it can't be done.
Erk spamming used to be way worse. Iirc now it doesn't kill everything early game.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

in 1v1 I cant remember a single game where a gendarme spam really changed the game. I can remember a few games where somebody tried a gendarme spam to soon in age 4 and got countered.

I can remember at least 5 games where ERK spam owned me. All these games my skirmisher couldnt kill the ERK fast enough to win it for me, and after a while, you know what happens...

It never stopped me from playing vs aztec, I just found it very annoying that if I didnt win the game in the first 15/20 minutes, there was nothing I could do.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, ERK spamming isn't nearly as bad now. Originally in this thread I was just saying I think the nerf to Eagles is fine, they'll still do their job.

But all these Aztec fanbois (I love you guys :D ) jump all over me because they have this inferiority complex in regards to Aztecs.

Gendarme spam is really hard to accomplish so it's not even that big of a deal. But when it reaches a certain point it is pretty much unstoppable. But it only happens in like 1% of 1v1 games so it's fine. ERKs aren't nearly as bad but I'm just arguing against the idea that strategies should be countered by "stopping them before they get there."
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey