Scout Slam in 1.01?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Scout Slam in 1.01?

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I was wondering, will scout slam (spamming advanced native scouts as sioux/iro or aztec) become a more viable strat?
Their only real hard counter, the spy, get's seriously nerfed in 1.01, leaving our little punching friends without true counters...

:o
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Scout Slam in 1.01?

Post by ruminator »

I've never liked tying up my t/c by building them. I want a constant flow of new villagers in age 2 and this route seems to be all or nothing as if you lose the fight the other side has a much beter eco than you.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

^ you dont have to tie up your t/c, if you get a native t.p. and build a native embassy thing youre all set :)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

That's an awful lot of wood though!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I've never been able to execute it successfully, though i've seen it work in team games. It could work, but.... i'm learly a little.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I've had that done vs me and if well executed is the most ghey and nasty thing on nerf, on the same rank as china discs. I was playing iro so I had no spies.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I've done it a few times myself in the past and I think as Iroquois this could actually be even more lame than it was in the past. As you noted its one real counter has been nerfed significantly (against natives) and Iroquois now have stronger basic units.

I'll have to give it a try.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Crazy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Crazy »

I like the idea of bringing it back lol, I've had it done to me,and I've tried it out myself, its annoying on one side, yet fun on the other. With Iro and Aztec colonial boosted, this should only add to their power
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

It's best with the Iroquois due to their wood cutting / infantry upgrade cards.

Their attack upgrade cards have little effect on scouts (base 5 damage lolz) but they certainly have effect on the HP. Scouts become beasts with a few upgrade cards sent.

I'm not sure if native warrior upgrade cards count either.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I had it done against me in a 2v2 once. Nothing a few falcs couldn't handle...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]I had it done against me in a 2v2 once. Nothing a few falcs couldn't handle...[/quote]

scouts can stealth and sneak upon falcs, not a good counter imho

and KK, the native card does boost the scouts as well (+25% attack & HP), but as you said, the base attack is so low it hardly matters.

a great card is the one that reduces the cost by 25%, making it 67 wood a piece :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

You can't sneak up on falcs when you have your explorer near the meatshield army in front of the falcs..

That and the guy's micro was atrocious.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Problem with cannons is you can't make nearly enough of them. Once the scout slam player gets going, they will be able to mass produce scouts at an alarming rate. It's quite ridiculous actually. I've played games where I made between 200 and 300 scouts in a game that didn't last all that long (under 30 minutes).
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

The guy that invented the scout slam initially made them for the Aztecs due to the firepit Gift dance and availability of needed shipments early to get it rolling.

In the next patch, it will definitely be more viable since maces just got boosted against scouts next soft Colonial counter, HI. Shipping in a few maces as support will go a long way. Not to mention the BB upgrade for WC just got boosted which will allow those shipments to keep flowing in.

I've found that this is really not a late game type of strategy and found little use of any Age 3 shipment. If it went to Age 3, then something was not going right.

Advanced scouts do seem to out perform coyotes (at least in previous patches) and easier to mass.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Iroquois can make the slam last longer with their infantry upgrades.

I haven't seen it done with the Aztecs but I was inspired to try it out a few times as Iroquois by YouBoreMe. I saw some recordings of him laming it.

It's quite effective as a surprise tactic.