Iroq/ Aztec Question

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Tatltael
Major
Major

Iroq/ Aztec Question

Post by Tatltael »

Haha this is a serious question, even though i know that iroqs/ aztecs are my favorite civs, well err.. how in the world do you get a good economy going with them? I ALWAYS struggle keeping up with Euro* civs and even asian civs* which really confuses me. (as aztec i always throw in the 3 wp card at some point in colonial for the 81% fertility dance, sort of same for iroq. just abit more gradually )

i know they dont get much for gathering upgrades @ the market.. does this contribute? i usually have to play tooth and nail to win a game with pure micro, and afterwards in the stats page thing i usually have x2 less resources than who-ever, which really confuses me considering constant vill production, MINIMAL idle villager seconds, and all the market upgrades/ farm / plantation upgrades (if it happens to reach that stage in a game)

note; when i do play a euro civ, my economy explodes and i plow through captains.. majors.. X_X i just dont understand what the difference is =?

this leaves me very distressed =( seeing as TWC are my fav.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Re: Iroq/ Aztec Question

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Diff vs. Aztecs might be due to Euro civs getting crates on aging up. Or, if your style of play is shipping units rather than resources (while they're the other way around) it might be that.

If you're in game and defensively put settlers in your TC for firing or onto your firepit on warrior dance then your opponent is still gathering while you're using your settlers to cause damage instead. However, if you're the one aggressing in a game it might be the other way around.

Also, remember that settlers/warpriests working gift dance on the firepit is like gathering resources - as you get shipments for their work - however, this won't show on the resources gathered chart. e.g., if you send 3 warpriests (to add to the one you start with) and have them working gift dance that's like having 8 settlers gathering resources.
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

My problem with aztec is that i'm too good at booming (have most recources most of the games) but I lack to make enough militairy. I outboom myself :)
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

If you micro your military you dont micro your economy. I do the opposite most of the time, winning by spamming more units then my opponent.
if its your style of play, dont change it and go booming all the way, however you probably could gain a lot by keeping your micro up and improving your economy a bit.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

thanks for the feedback! :]

&lordandcount do you have any replays up? :D i just want to see how retarded my aztec is going to look vs. yours
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I always had wp + 1/2 villager on gift dance, which allowed second shipment before aging up - 300 wood for immediate warhut.

I'd then raid in age 2 with 10 coyote followed by mace and when ready to age up send 2 farm travois and build one more. Send for free farm upgrades in age 3, build second t/c and then have continual villager production. Aztecs are very food heavy, so a split of 40/15/15 is not unusual. Wall those farms in though!

Only once the shipments slow in late age 2 do I change dance to wp production and then you can change again when you are in combat.

I then mainly spam military from warhuts/noble huts and just use cards for military upgrades - like stealth coyotes! BBs are good for military after 10 minutes of the game. If you hit 200 pop due to military mass before you are attacked then go get them immediately, don't stall any longer!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Tatltael""]thanks for the feedback! :]

&lordandcount do you have any replays up? :D i just want to see how retarded my aztec is going to look vs. yours[/quote]

If you want an Aztec replay, go check my tourney game in the replay section. I know its a team game and therefore slightly different, but my partner was Aztec and he's a level 41 Brig...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

O_O thanks soccer & rum :]
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Micro > macro, most of the time. But I do understand your concern. And I always felt that getting some WH's controlling some hunts + fertilitly dance + 2-3 tc's can result in a good boom.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

At least with Aztecs, what you are noticing is the higher cost of Aztec resources, especially early. Mainly, this is wood with a base gather rate of only .5 per second per villie (that's about 60% of food gather or 75% the gold gather rates - big difference). While the Aztec is gathering food and wood for Mace and Coyotes, other civs generally gather food and gold for their units (with a few exceptions). Aztecs also lack a wood age up politician and on top of that, Aztec units tend to be pop inefficient causing housing issues.

The solution? Use your market to boost wood gathering rates as much as you can afford. Put wood crates in your decks. Depending on your style, put the 20% wood boost card or land grab in your decks. Once you solve your wood problems, the rest of your economy should flow a bit better.

Hope this helps,
Mac
Last edited by Macabee on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

By using xp dance, you get the chance to send 3 villagers and 300 wood in dicovery. This gives you a bit of a catch up, as you can have a warhut built by the time you hit colonial. With 10 then 9 mace cards, all you really need is wood for houses that early.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Get 4 jaguars first, get tons of xp from treasures with xp aura and then ship 3 vills asap.