PATCH NOTES RELEASED!!!

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: PATCH NOTES RELEASED!!!

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

clubrush is really overrated... it's like a pike rush, if it get's the opponent off guard it works, but in all other cases you lose.
cetans still suck, 90 HP = 1 shot kill by TC

the only thing I see em doing is constant raiding and hope to create some kind of advantage there... or possibly scout slam :D
that's their only decent unit standing
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Sioux FF got killed. Club rush won't be as effective due to pet nerf and xbow boost. What else remains then?[/quote]

You could always wall up, turtle and then, oh yeah, um...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Super OP civs are dead once and for all. Now we only have to wait and see which civ exploits this battle system better. I think India will be powerful due to their counter system dominance (sowar for RI, zam for cav, ghurka for HI, sepoy for siege and overall killer, eco for all this) and Germans, since they get cav for free to raid and to back up the pike/xbow army. Japs and brits will do nice too, but overall the civs will be very close.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

My thoughts on the patch. I think it's obvious that ES wanted to balance all the civs. If you look at the stats, there are certain civs that are used in the 2-4-7% usage range. This patch should change all of that. This will also help getting more people in the QS games and get the better players higher. You will have to employ more strategy and less spamming to win, imo.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, hopefully the biggest change with this patch will be that people won't feel as much that they have to play a few specific civs in order to compete in Quicksearch. That has been a big problem in the game for a while, and now that the civs will most likely be a lot closer in their strength it won't be necessary.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

With a harder counter system picking the correct strat/unit will be far more important. Just going xbows or muskets from the word go is a much bigger risk now, if the enemy is making the counter unit.
So scouting and game knowledge will be more important.

And once fighting begins micro will be more important, cause you want your unit fighting what they are supposed to counter.

It's the end of the " one build order is good for all" age.

Not good for me,lol
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

I always spam for mixed units to counter anything. If my opponents spam one unit, then I'll concentrate on the counter unit but still making few of other units. That is why I welcome this patch very much as now skills and tactics are now important (not I have any - I just like the game to be more interesting and fun instead of boring FF & laming). :D
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I still think that late game every civ will have that one spammable unit that can wreak havoc, whether it be Cuirs, opris, Dutch halbs, Uhlans or Axe riders. I still think we will see armies of one unit winning the game. This is also why I don't think Ports will become a top civ as their one great unit is dragoons and dragoons aren't much use against anything other than cav or maybe artillery. Its their lack of one single really strong unit that holds them back, forcing them to make mixed armies and having to fight much harder against civs with one spammable and powerful unit.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Yes but how many games get that far? Even more so in 1v1?
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

I know I'll be glad to not hear all the whining and complaining about how "op" eagles are. Even now, given their cost, weaknesses and the fact that they are only strong for such a brief time starting in mid fortress (in a civ that's slow to fortress) and the way they fade in age 4 and especially age 5. It'll be nice to play my favorite civ without such gaping holes in it's defenses.

I think that with this patch, each civ has a shot to beat any of the others. We'll see.

Mac
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Hardly any games go that long, Adder.

And I disagree with you about Port Dragoons. They do tons of damage late game and have the range of a skirm. Add that to super long range mortars, heavy cannons, royal guard musketeers, and newly improved cassadores and the port late game is even more pwnage.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Darn it. You guys are making me want to start playin Ports again. I don't have time for 3 civs. I BARELY have time for 1...
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

clubrush is really overrated... it's like a pike rush, if it get's the opponent off guard it works, but in all other cases you lose.
cetans still suck, 90 HP = 1 shot kill by TC
It's not overrated because 6 speed rod like clubs kill xbows (their counter). And cetans don't die in 1 shot the same way strelets don't die in 1 shot - they have ranged resistance.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

show me a good club rush... it's all about the surprise.
and cetans still suck, seriously, I haven't seen a cetan in a long time, and I do watch lot's of replays.
CM TC does kill in 1 shot though :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]

And I disagree with you about Port Dragoons. They do tons of damage late game and have the range of a skirm. Add that to super long range mortars, heavy cannons, royal guard musketeers, and newly improved cassadores and the port late game is even more pwnage.[/quote]

Thats my point, ports have to make lots of different units, costing different resources, from different buildings all needing different cards added to them to make them strong, whilst other civs can just spam one unit type much much easier. And you can't even upgrade the port dragoons until age 4 which is a major set back when other civs can reach age 4 with their OP unit already fully upgraded. I'm not saying their late game can't be strong it just takes a lot longer and a lot more effort to get strong, by which time the 1 unit spam will have won the game.

And quite a lot of my games reach age 3, when the spammage of one unit type starts. These are of course team games because I don't care about 1v1 until they actually achieve balanced civs, which if they do it after one patch will be miraculous.