The "today in history"

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

The "today in history"

Post by Soccerman771 »

1836: Mexican troops massacre the American garrison at the Alamo, an event that has entered US mythology.

Question - If it really happened, how is it mythology? Maybe it's a use of the term as some kind of other literary meaning than what it is typically used to note?

By the way, it is snowing here in Dallas, Texas for the 2nd time in three days. It was almost 70 degrees F here yesterday.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: The "today in history"

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Mythology deals with MYTHS. Myths are untrue. I say we fire whoever did that day in history banner! :D
Groovy.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Doesn't it mean that a lot of stories or theories are made on the matter?
severebeating
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by severebeating »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Mythology deals with MYTHS. Myths are untrue. I say we fire whoever did that day in history banner! :D[/quote]

Firing is not appropriate. String em up!!! :evil:
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, it's more like a "legend" now than a "myth." It did actually happened but it has been greatly glorified and has become something of an American icon, so clearly the story is something of a "myth" or "legend", kind of like Davey Crockett or Johnny Appleseed. There are some truths to those stories too, but obviously they are much larger than life in their stories.

The Alamo isn't exaggerated quite that much, but you know what I mean.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

the alamo was just texas glorifying itself as it took land away from the mexicans.. shameful and disgusting
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Took land away from the Mexicans...? I don't think you have your history right, here. Basically, Mexico invited people from the US to come and settle in Texas, but they later declared independence.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, I'm sensing some Mexican bias.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Sorry guys -

Post by IndyBrit »

Spoiling lawyer alert. :-P

Myths are just stories that have achieved a certain status, and can be true or false:

a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

(emphasis added)
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

[quote=""Tatltael""]the alamo was just texas glorifying itself as it took land away from the mexicans.. shameful and disgusting[/quote]

Come on, the Mexicans hated Santa Anna as much as the Texas did. Proof of that is the fact that there were Mexicans fighting against the Mexican government with the Texans (who stayed in Texas after the war). The fact of the matter is that Mexico, conquered primarily by Spain, conquered South America and then revolted to form Mexico. Mexico stole the land as well (from a much weaker military by the way). Mexico was one of the dominate forces of the day and the Texans won through strategy. They decided not to reinforce the Alamo but wait for the guaranteed party afterwards. The Texans took advantage of their overconfidence and pride to turn the tide of the war and remove a brutal murdering dictator. It was brains, not cannon that defeated the Mexicans.

That is like saying, you just stole what I just stole. Despite their superior military, they had overconfident leaders making stupid decisions and to much land to defend. There are no true owners of the land, just a government that represents the people currently residing there. The Native Americans are the only ones I feel sorry for and the only ones not represented in the "Six Flags of Texas". Here is a link of those flags:

LINK HERE TO A QUICK AOE3 HISTORY REVIEW

Texas has a rich and diverse history and I remember being able to take US, TX, or World history for my history credit. Yea, we are that big.

The mythology comes from the many stories surrounding the Alamo, not the fact that it happened. It’s hard to get an un-biased account of what happened when everyone involved in the fighting was slaughtered.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Cyclohexane""][quote=""Tatltael""]
Texas has a rich and diverse history and I remember being able to take US, TX, or World history for my history credit. Yea, we are that big.
[/quote][/quote]

I took Ohio History for credit in college. w00t 4 OH-IO
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

LINK HERE TO A QUICK AOE3 HISTORY REVIEW
That was interesting and entertaining. Nice link.
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

[quote=""RascalJones""][quote=""Cyclohexane""][quote=""Tatltael""]
[/quote]

I took Ohio History for credit in college. w00t 4 OH-IO[/quote][/quote]

So what do you do with the rest of the semester when that course finished is in 2 weeks? :D
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

You do know that more presidents have come from Ohio than any other state except Virginia (But, William Henry Harrison doesn't count, he only lasted 21 days)

Speaking of Presidential trivia, who was the first president to be born a United States Citizen?
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Old Hickory..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th