General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Patch soon?

Post by RascalJones »

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/blogs/bs ... fault.aspx
If no serious bugs are discovered, we expect to release the patch sometime “before the end of winter” as mentioned in a previous blog post.
"End of Winter" = March 20 officially. Patch within 2 weeks?
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Patch soon?

Post by Soccerman771 »

From Bruce Shelley's Blog:
Bruce Shelley
The Asian Dynasties Patch Update

The Asian Dynasties Patch Update: Oscar Santos, head of our community team, has told me that the design and balance changes for the long awaited first patch for The Asian Dynasties (patch 1.01) have been finalized. From this point, the patch will be built, playtested by ES and Microsoft, and verified by our Quality Assurance team and our beta playtesters while the localization teams are doing the translations. If no serious bugs are discovered, we expect to release the patch sometime “before the end of winter” as mentioned in a previous blog post. The patch notes will be posted soon by Thunder on the AgeCommunity site, so watch for those.

For this patch we recruited the help of 8 top players from the Age community. They were given beta versions of the patch and we set up a private forum for discussion. They played the beta against each other and our balance team. They did a great job of being objective, responsible, and mature about the whole process. If they lost a game, they were able to distinguish between being outplayed and running into imbalances. This type of feedback is invaluable and often difficult to collect. We think the patch is going to be excellent and a lot of that will be due to the help of The ES 8.
So, yeah couple weeks..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Crazy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Crazy »

good...good
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

if all goes as planned that is....
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I have a feeling they are gonna nerf my agressive iro and jap style :( Same to spain. If not there are gonna be a lot of boosts to the other civs ^^
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I'm sure that most of the nerfs will be centered around China, and maybe, hopefully Sioux. They've said in the past they won't touch Dutch but the "ES 8" would obviously have a say otherwise, I would think.

With luck there will be some good boosts for other civs as well, with some much needed fixes / nerfs to things like Tlaloc / Offshore Support and Sevastopol laming.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Time will tell. With the top players involved I suspect a good patch though -- for 1v1's at least -- which really is what counts. ;) Hoho.
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

I think it will be a good patch but I really wish they would do as promised and give many small patches opposed to very large ones we have to wait forever for.

I also would like to see many of the bugs I hear about fixed in the scenario editor and some cool team vrs. team scenarios published. I've seen some really cool ones (actually won a tournament in one and got a free video game), but there are just not enough out there and I do not see them very popular. From what I understand, people still play them in AOM because the editor is so much easier to use and free of bugs...
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I really hope Germany and Ports get a boost, but I also hope that China doesn't get Germanified. From what I hear, they're making disciples and the resource wonder worthless.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, I'm afraid of that as well, Nav.

At the most they should make Porcelain Tower only slightly weaker and make disciples more expensive and / or cost population.

Then maybe do something about Hand Mortars.

On top of that they should fix China's anti-cav...but I don't see it happening.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Yeah, Bruce Shelley said something to the effect of "cavalry are China's weakness, and we're going to keep it that way".
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I don't think a civ should have a specific weakness that they are designed to not be able to counter...that's ridiculous.

There's a difference between a civ having a weakness that can be exploited and one that it is designed to not be able to deal with, basically.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Yeah, I don't really think that's justifiable. For example, as China I've gone against Ottoman hussar spammers and French cuirassier spammers and no matter what I did, I got obliterated.

Qiang pikes aren't that bad, but their low multipliers make them unable to deal with a lot of cavalry, and they can't be made individually; you have to make them with CKN or worthless keshiks.

Changdao are completely worthless, though... Look at their stats compared to a musketeer or halberdier.

Changdao (veteran) vs. Halberdier (veteran)
Cost: 95 vs. 120
HP: 144 vs. 200
Attack: 15 vs. 25
siege: 25 vs. something like 50

From these stats, changdao should cost at most 80 food... they're worthless compared to their counterparts, halberdiers.
Groovy.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Yep small but regular patches, thats ho they should do it.
Then they could avoid german ubernerfing and iro OPness.

Just let the strong civs be as they are, only nerf annoying stuff like Greathouse, Thlaloc BB, Sevastopol and give the weaker civs each time a little extra.

And for boosts i would love them to focus on underused units. You dont see to many cavalry archers around, Otto, and Russia arent the strongest civs, so give those guys something. Or grenadiers.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Yeah, I think keshiks/cavalry archers need a bit of a boost.

I'd also like to see xbows fixed. I say give them -2 or 3 attack, but x1.5 to heavy infantry. Right now they're not good enough vs. heavy infantry but too good vs. cav and other light inf.

I'd also like to see lbows fixed and for the same reason. Their ROF and base damage are far too high but their heavy inf multiplier is worthless.

Boost coyote ranged resistance, and make all cav like Asian cav is right now, with multipliers only against light inf.

I also like the idea of smaller patches, because it would lead to smaller nerfs and boosts and would bypass any serious OPness and UPness.
Groovy.