Levelling up my cities

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Levelling up my cities

Post by ruminator »

This is quite a noobish question, but how do I set up comp stomp type games to level up my home cities? I have not been playing Asian Civs much and need to get my Japanese up to 25+ before I set up a Chinese and Indian city.

Getting auto games at levels 10-25 is difficult, so I'm aging slowly. Is there a way I can play an unrated 1v1 vs comp on ESO to increase xp. It's not that levelling up is a crime anymore is it?!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Levelling up my cities

Post by Soccerman771 »

Play 5 humans v 3 comps on expert to get the most XP IMO. Not sure if you know, but if while in game you press your home city button and look at your XP at the top center it will show either Red or Green. Green means there is more XP to be had. Red means you've topped out for that game. If you've reached Red, then force the comps to resign when you've beaten them as you have maxed out...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I thought Cyclo's guide had some tips about this? Can't remember. There are are things you can do to really max out on XP like play Great Lakes, start in Imperial (get all upgrades automatically), play on fast speed (to speed up process), get all the TP's for XP.

Not sure, but might want to use Japanese, age up with the XP option, use all cards that accelerate XP. Normally, you spam plantations so I don't know if the Japs with their XP options is better? I need to do the same thing, but have been putting it off.

Just some thoughts...
Puddleglum
Private
Private

Post by Puddleglum »

ruminator, shizle . . . I need to level a TAD civ too. Maybe if I see either of you on this weekend we can play an XP plantation game or two?
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle"
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I'll certainly be on Sunday night - will try then maybe ... Is there a way you can go 1v1 for xp though?
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Puddleglum
Private
Private

Post by Puddleglum »

ruminator - to be honest, i've never actually done it, but my understanding is that the fastest way to get the max XP for a game is to do a 1v1, fast speed, start in post-industrial, boom till you have 99 settlers, then put everyone on wood and constantly build and destroy plantations. Every plantation built gives you 160 XP, and every one destroyed gives your opponent 320 XP. So with both players doing this, and some key cards to make plantations cheaper, my understanding is that you can get both players to the 30,000 XP game maximum in 10 minutes or so. If someone with experience with this could correct any errors or omissions I've made, that would be great.

As a side note, does anyone know if a high-level TAD civ will cause new european civs to be created at a high level? Like, if I level an Indian HC to 60, and create a Russia HC, will it be level 40?
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle"
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

Hard to predict when I might get on, but will gladly do some XP farming with you. I have non-Asian civs leveled enough, but TAD civs have to be leveled on their own, and I'm down around 10 or 11 with those.

I didn't know about the 360xp for your partner, when you destroy a plantation. But TAD civs don't have plantations and I don't know what the xp is for a rice paddy.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

For a 1v1 unrated game WITH XP, set up a game 1v1, and check the Free For All box.

Make sure you don't use handicaps, you get NO xp for handicap games.

When you're on the setup screen, top right of the screen, it will say one of 3 things.

"Rated Game" in white
"Unrated Game" in yellow (you still get XP)
"NO XP" - this will be in RED so that it stands out.

So, 1v1, FFA, Post-Imperial start, Fast speed, and start dropping plantations like crazy. Don't forget to delete the plantations to help give your opponent XP so that you can both get there as fast as possible. You get 160 XP for each rice paddy destroyed.

(I hate Plantation Games.....so boring. But, I do understand the need).

BTW, you don't need to get to level 25 to set up your other HC's. The new HC levels change at intervals of 20.

For your highest level Asian HC....
At level 10-19, new HC's start at 10
At level 20-39, new HC's start at 20
At level 40-59, new HC's start at 40
At level 60-79, new HC's start at 60
At level 80-99, new HC's start at 80
At level 100+ new HC's start at 100
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Never understood why people level up their hc in such games. If you beat an opponent with a lower hc you even get more points. At least you can play some unrated 1vs1 to learn your civ right from the beginning. Then you'll see which cards you'll need to optimize your strategy.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

it sucks not having the essential cards, thats why people do it
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Problem is with starting out as a level 10 Jap is that all you can play in the same tier are Jap mirrors and Chinese! All euro civs will be a higher level so you want to get to the next tier up in order to play some better games.

I have just bitten the bullet and played Japanese auto games against people of a higher tier (try a level 15 Jap v level 60 Dutch for instance). My rating has taken a bit of a hit but who cares - I now have a level 20 Japanese city and can now make a new Chinese or Indian city starting at level 20.

Just need to watch some replays of that disciple ff ....

George Wallace
petevas
Private
Private

Post by petevas »

I can use some leveling up for my HC's as well, if anyone is in the mood ofc ;)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Plant spam all the way if you need to. I had to plant spam a bit with my ports even though they were like lvl 65 or sth because I didn't have the cards needed for FI.
petevas
Private
Private

Post by petevas »

You mean doing the 1v1 post industrial planatation spam eh?

Also, if u level up a vanilla civ with TAD do u get more advanced TAD civs? If i take brits to 80 e.g. will i be able to make lvl 60 tad civs?
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

[quote=""petevas""]You mean doing the 1v1 post industrial planatation spam eh?

Also, if u level up a vanilla civ with TAD do u get more advanced TAD civs? If i take brits to 80 e.g. will i be able to make lvl 60 tad civs?[/quote]Unfortunately....no. You have to level up a Tad civ to get the other 2 leveled up.

To level up, I used to play Great Lakes, fast speed, post-Imperial, get the TPs, spam and delete plantations. I may have missed something...