Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Round 5: Nav vs. Drew

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Navarone_Guy(Harley14) vs. 36Drew
French vs. French
Indochina? I believe that's the map. The one in present-day Vietnam.
Winner: Navarone

Well, this was an OK game I guess. We both FF while I wall off the middle in case of a rush. Drew goes cuir/skirms, while I go mamelukes/skirms. We fight a few times but OP mamelukes win the day. It only lasted about 12 minutes.

Anyway, GG Drew!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groovy.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Round 5: Nav vs. Drew

Post by 36drew »

I scouted your villagers and they were all on gold and checked your deck for mercs and I had no idea what the hell you were doing. Never thought of clicking on saloon. GG.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Mams are amazing.

I played a game against TatlTael today and just made skirms / dragoons and about 8 or 9 mamelukes on Mongolia. He was Japan and had a huge force of Yumis with a few Ashis.

I killed him without losing more than 1 or 2 Mamelukes. They had 1667 hp and 39 attack with cav combat card. Insanity.

:P
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Very nice game. Mams really made the diference that game. Congrats Nav, u rock bro.

Out
MrChristy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MrChristy »

mamalukes are very nice although I still think Spahis are better!

GG Nav BTW
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

instead of making spies, drew should have made his own mams or even better: black riders!
spies without upgrade hardly counter those monster cav units like mams and elmeti
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

Yes mams are great!!
BUT enough spies and you'll get the job done, stelath your way to em then quickyl pop out and they die plus fire from other units!!

gonna watch now, but seems like nav played awsome...when you gonna get to colonel?!?!
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

As soon as I get better. :D
Groovy.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""kingchrisII""]Yes mams are great!!
BUT enough spies and you'll get the job done, stelath your way to em then quickyl pop out and they die plus fire from other units!!
[/quote]

u can have 3 spies for 1 mameluke, but with other units around shooting the spies, they stand no chance, while the mams might take fire as well, their HP will keep em alive.

Without the agent/assassin upgrade, I'd prob not bother making em
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, and ES is probably going to make spies count as HI next patch, making them even more useless.

I agree with Chaos that his best bet would have been to make some mercs of his own, or at least mass some dragoons.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Mercs should have a negative multiplier vs spies, that's all. It doesn't matter that spies deal 150 dmg when they die like flies.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, Sporting, it isn't even really the damage that the mercs do to the spies, but the damage that all the backup units usually do to them. Even if you stealth the spies and have them start attacking when they are right next to the mercs, the backup units will immediately focus fire them and kill them very quickly.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I think spies need to be able to upgrade to veteran/guard/imperial. That would allow them to be able to keep up with other units without being overpowered at first.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Either that or they need to have a lot more hp, lower base attack and an ever higher multiplier. Make it so they are completely useless against anything except for mercs / explorers, and also lower their cost to 75 or so. Or instead of giving them more hp, give them lots of ranged armor.

They should be really effective at countering mercs / natives as well as scouting out what the enemy is doing (good LOS, decent movement speed when stealthed etc) but be completely terrible at everything else, so as not to be lame as it once was.

The problem is Mercs should still be useful; they shouldn't be totally made pointless by a unit that costs far less than them. On the other hand, they shouldn't completely win you a game, as they did in this case.

It's just another part of this game that is really tough to balance.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I agree, except that spies should not counter natives, that's just pointless and kills the usage of a fine aspect in this game.