No more AOEO content

This forum is for news articles
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: No more AOEO content

Post by joe4holly »

I had to install a start menu on my W8 pc at work. it a pain in the ass for admin stuff.  However server 2012 seems to have a lot of nice toys =D
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Wow such a funny coincidence as I was talking about this same thing today. That apart from Sc2 there aren't any decent RTS games out there and there would be a real niche for age of empires to come back after AOEO was such a failure. Whether it will be a application though would worry me, if what zutazuta says is accurate, they may go along the lines of R.E and go with a game on the phones and tablets!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
AdriftCrescent8
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AdriftCrescent8 »

AOEO is still a great game and is completely free (downloadable through steam/gfwl)! Everything in the game can be earned through questing & joining an alliance at level 40! These will earn you Empire Points & you'll be able to "purchase" content in game. PVP can be played competitively, when you gathered enough empire points to purchase a civ (675-900 EP), but you can ALWAYS invite people for a "arena game".
This is completely the same as playing ranked, but you won't earn ranks/coin/AP-EP/ for winning.
It is best to play quests first, until you reach level 40, then join an alliance & do alliance quests. This will earn you up to 18 EP daily+over a 100 weekly+ over 500 monthly. Which means you can buy a civ EVERY MONTH. After purchasing one civ, you can play ranked with it & earn your points for alliance EP that way. SO 18 EP daily+over a 100 weekly+ over 500 monthly by only playing pvp or combining it with pve or only playing pve.. You choose!

If you're interested in starting with AOEO, now is the time! N3O is hosting AOEO PVP lessons, which will start the week of 11 february! Sign up on the PVP course forum (N3O AOEO subforum) and give AOEO a chance! Together, we'll make it worth it!
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

Hey guys, any of you wanna try AOE3 again? I mean although ES "cut off" support for it years ago, Age Sanctuary didn't, and they made a Fan Patch.

Now of course Fan Patches separate communities. That was their original problem: awesome multiplayer, crap single player. So in N3O Fan Patch, I aimed to fix that by making the Draugur AI into a competitive supremacy/Deathmatch AI (needs work on treaty still). I myself have lost to it sometimes on 2v2.

Also, since the N3O patch includes early, mid-game, lategame and deathmatch balance and bug fixes, why don't you guys give it a try? Yes, its like the original AOE3, but finely tuned, as to say. Rightfully, I could be one to say that N3O still gives Microsoft's games support and patches.

I am not sure how custom art files work on multiplayer; they may lag up the game, and aren't necessary for online play.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

noone cares about fanpatches, everybody just plays on the normal one. you don't have the community for such a  thing. due to my comp problems it'll delay my aoe3 adventure, but i'll only gonna play on RE patch.
MasterDragoon
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by MasterDragoon »

there are lots of games on nilla, can find games pretty fast
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

TAD isn't bad either. I get games within 15 minutes most of the time.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

there is no room for a fanpatch, everybody who still plays is just on the standard one, that was what i was trying to say :P
i've been online there 2 years ago and obviously it was better then than now and still there aren't games pr 25+
you can't tell me that it is better now than it was before
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Aaryn_GenD wrote: there is no room for a fanpatch, everybody who still plays is just on the standard one, that was what i was trying to say :P
i've been online there 2 years ago and obviously it was better then than now and still there aren't games pr 25+
yah it isn't better, but somehow aoe3 seems to do very well for such an old game. The population hasn't really been decreasing lately. In the first year after sc2 (which caused many people to leave) the population dropped with about 1000, after that it didn't drop more than like ~100-400 people. Aoe is really doing amazing compared to other 7! year old games.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Aaryn_GenD wrote: there is no room for a fanpatch, everybody who still plays is just on the standard one, that was what i was trying to say :P
The fanpatch is mostly for fun, playing it is almost as nice as making it!
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

A main reason I wanted to show the FP was that I've made a better computer player, so that single player feels quite like a regular supremacy game. I even added good Deathmatch play, so that you could play lategame against the computer.

It usually takes me 30+ minutes to beat the computers in a 2v2 on DM. Some AIs are worse, and I win quickly, some are better, and I lose often.

Try playing "New Unknown" and you will not be disappointed; the variation in that map is so underrated; Much of FP1.2 could not be enjoyed properly because you needed human players to play it; now we have an truly Expert AI.

This said, you still have to install the AI manually, along with the Homecity and Civs.xml files (for numbers behind homecity shipments,  and beginning crates), the custom art files (if you want to), and the sound files for basic units (if you get annoyed at their having no audio).

Another problem is that none of the notes are translated. So you will be launched onto English-patch notes regardless.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i'm not trying to bash you but who plays vs AI?
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

That's exactly what I've been asking as well.

Its just I've given people the chance to fight against them if they want to, getting a decently competitive game instead of no game at all. For the most of people, who play single player (I would assume about 80% of AOEIII players), this is a miracle, because now the AI actually plays somewhat like a human.

I make this for myself and to share with others. Its not for a patch really, but I like the game so I did it.

---------------

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

screw aoe4 i doubt they'd even have the gumption to start such a massive task as making an entire game from scratch unless they went ahead and did the aom2 using the aoeo engine as the base.

it'd be a downloadable pay as you go BS - just more expensive and prolly even more buggy then aoeo.

an aom2 would be nice as long as it was just like the aom minus atlantean style crap that ruined aomt. aoeo was already  a carbon copy of aom just without the myth units.

if M$ is really going ahead with another age of game , aom2 is the best bet for them.
- Dan