An Otto Question

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

An Otto Question

Post by Soccerman771 »

If you are fishing, how do you know how many villagers you have? I know you could click on the dock, see how many boats you have, then do the math...but is there another easier way?

This is obviously important so as you get close to 25 vils you can get the 400 gold and the church up so vil production doesn't stop. At the same time you don't want to spend that unless you have to.

Lastly, when is a good time to spend the 300 food to get the villager speed up time? I usually wait until fortress when I have more than 1 TC up and going...thanks in advance.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: An Otto Question

Post by 36drew »

1) The only way to figure it out is to do the math (unfortunately).

2) Most of the time on sea maps I never actually get to the point of spending the 400 gold upgrade. I usually do only if my sea boom isn't as strong as I would like and I have gold to spare (sometime in fortress around 15-17 min it seems). This means your TC will probably be idle for a bit, but don't sweat it.

3) Good plan to not spend to food church upgrades until you have 2-3 tc's.

4) In the next patch there is a possibility that church tech prices will be reduced.

5) If you need anymore otto help, see me. They are my civ of choice. :)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

With a double dock schooners spam I rarely have the wood to build a church, never mind the gold for the upgrades!

With 2 docks going, you should have 50 resource gatherers shown on the UI before you even need to consider it. At that point resources will allow you to take this option quite easily, followed by wood for second t/c. The 1000 wood card in fortress is good for this.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""ruminator""]With a double dock schooners spam I rarely have the wood to build a church, never mind the gold for the upgrades!

With 2 docks going, you should have 50 resource gatherers shown on the UI before you even need to consider it. At that point resources will allow you to take this option quite easily, followed by wood for second t/c. The 1000 wood card in fortress is good for this.[/quote]

Good post.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Ok, on a water map then should my first card be schooners? I usually play the continuous coin card first so I can keep up Jannie production and it by itself will give me the 300 coin as soon as I ship 700 to go to fortress right-out of aging to colonial without having to mine at all (or minimally)

I'm not that strong with Otto's but I'm trying to get better. I prefer their age III and age IV rather than the standard Jannie/Abus rush..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Well the best players iv seen with otto are sepiroth and DerMastor. Both of them have been in top ten. From watching recordings, they never upgraded the villager limit in a good game for them.
So if you play aggressive with otto, never upgrade unless you really can spare the resources.

I remember a game Mastor (Otto) vs Love (Ports), where mastor had trade route and 25 villagers vs 30 boats and 50 villagers from love, and still made a win.

If you like age 3-4, I think you first want to get your shipments out, mamelukes and 2 falconet, before upgrading.

I have a nice otto water boom strat, if anybody is interested, i will post it;
plop627
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by plop627 »

btw you can click on your tc to see how many villies you have
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

my villie count is shown just below my res count, aint yours?
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Sure, the total vil pop count is shown (boats + villagers). In all civs except Ottos, you can hover over the 'make villagers' button and it will say x/99 (where x is the number you have). With Otto's this doesn't exist. So, if you are fishing, you cannot see the number of villagers (humans) that you have independent of total civilian population unless you click on the dock, see how many boats you have, then subtract from the number under the res count. I was asking if there was an easier way to see the human civilian pop count without having to do this. Basically I wanted to know if I was missing something easy for Otto's that is easy to see in all other civs. The problem is when you get to 25 vil (human) pop in otto's you have to pay for vil pop increase in the church...
jtackel@hotmail.com

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""luukje""]Well the best players iv seen with otto are sepiroth and DerMastor. Both of them have been in top ten. From watching recordings, they never upgraded the villager limit in a good game for them.
So if you play aggressive with otto, never upgrade unless you really can spare the resources.

I remember a game Mastor (Otto) vs Love (Ports), where mastor had trade route and 25 villagers vs 30 boats and 50 villagers from love, and still made a win.

If you like age 3-4, I think you first want to get your shipments out, mamelukes and 2 falconet, before upgrading.

I have a nice otto water boom strat, if anybody is interested, i will post it;[/quote]

I'd like to see it. As for water maps, I always play schooners as my first card if i'm going for a 100% sea boom.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

well, usually, it's around the 12 min mark you need to worry about the upgrade.
It takes 4 minutes to spawn 5 vils, and you start with 6 and usually ship 3, so for the remaining 16 vills it will take 768 seconds or almost 13 min
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]well, usually, it's around the 12 min mark you need to worry about the upgrade.
It takes 4 minutes to spawn 5 vils, and you start with 6 and usually ship 3, so for the remaining 16 vills it will take 768 seconds or almost 13 min[/quote]

Good information. :)
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I guess it was a good idea to refer him to you for Ottos, Drew. :D
Groovy.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]I guess it was a good idea to refer him to you for Ottos, Drew. :D[/quote]

LOL. Now now...
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Well, you are by far the best Ottoman player in the clan.
Groovy.