DHD > Torrential wind storm

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

DHD > Torrential wind storm

Post by deadhanddan »

last friday 6/29/12 , Ohio and several other U.S. states were hit with a very nasty storm that leveled much of every state it hit. over 3 million w/o power , structural damage to infrastructure and mass damage to mother nature , people dead , and all of this on top of the hottest heatwave for this time of year ever. this thunder storm was basically a hurricane on the mainland , it  had straightline winds of up to 85+ MPH. i was on my porch and saw it rip through my neighborhood and let me tell you it was something straight out of a movie - never will be able to forget it or the damage it caused right before my eyes. 100 year old trees over 100 feet tall were ripped out of the ground and slammed into the ground like ragdolls.  so much property damage from trees slamming into cars , houses , even people. electrical fires caused by downed lines were common , as well as from the excessive heat. one woman here  in Ohio was even crushed under a barn that collapsed on top of her from the winds , and so many personal and public losses that it will be a record destruction in the dozens of billions of dollars - and this is just for Ohio ! no telling how much damage in total they is from all the other states that were hit as well. me and 990,000+ other Ohioans were forced to throw out all our food from are refrigerators and suffer through 95+ degree days without A.C.  on the eve of our 4th of july celebrations :*(

just got power back on 7/03 , was out for basically 5 days o_O my mom who is only 12 minutes drive from me won't get power back until sunday at the earliest....

rascal's area of Columbus (suffered alot of damage and with over 200k+ w/o power

Obama declared Ohio and several other states were national emergencies and ordered crews to help from as far as away as Texas. some people won't even get power back for a whole more week even...one big gigantic mess

to all the N3O'ers here who went through this like Rascal , Murdilator, and myself - my prayers to you and your families - i hope you made it through it unharmed and hopefully cooled and hydrated. was trully something you people would have to see to believe to understand what just happened in the wake of a freak 10 minute storm that could cause so much damage in so little time.
- Dan
Frits
Conscript
Conscript

Re: DHD > Torrential wind storm

Post by Frits »

thats why you shouldnt build your houses from wood every time.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

Frits wrote: thats why you shouldnt build your houses from wood every time.
eh.. are you serious?
i really hope everybody of you guys made it out well. ever since that hurricane katrina the U.S. is afflcited by natural catastrophes.
thanks for the information dan
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

This is why the news media over here sucks.  What these people go through is news.  It's pain, suffering and hardship.  Obamacare, while legislative is not news over that.  People in Ohio need help NOW!  I've barely heard of this and didn't know so much help was needed.  Now I'm propelled to see how I can help.

Best wishes and prayers to you and all Ohioans, Dan, Rascal, etc.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

thanks Aaryn , Soccerman.

yeah , alot of people here in Ohio have homes that are 100% run on electric : meaning that they don't even have running water if they are in a blackout. the elderly and infirm have been the hardest group hit. no power for any devices needed to help them live like for example : breathing apparatus' , or even power to open pharmacies so they couldn't even get medications. it took me over a day to locate a place where i could get an adapter for my car to charge up my phone. most homephones nowadays are all electric so homephone lines were useless and cellular phones only way to communicate. but many towers were damaged and inoperable , and the few towers up and running were overflooded with desperate people looking for any bit of information they could find trying to make sense of it all.

on saturday for example , i had to spend 47 minutes on the road just to get some gas for my car , another 22 minutes to find a working ATM to withdraw money , another 10 minutes to find an area not sold out of ice,water, and edible food , then another hour and half driving back home. i put more then 400 miles on my car past 4 days just driving to get gas and food....lol
- Dan
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18680759

Looks nasty , Hope you all fine and get back to normal soon.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Good to know you're safe Dan.
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Frits wrote: thats why you shouldnt build your houses from wood every time.
It really is not that easy Frits .....

I hope you all are doing very well!
Last edited by DutchNvG on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shizle
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Shizle »

Yikes, that's rough.  I'm in MA and haven't heard anything about it.  My news source is Google News and I didn't see anything about the storm.  As Soccer said, the media just plain sucks. 

The split of Tom Cruise and whats her name blotted out the sun for a few days.  That tells  you a lot...
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Damn! Glad to hear your are okay! You and your family have been through so much.  Thinking of you and them.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Hope everything will be like normal ASAP !
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

oh man, that's rough!

I haven't heard about this either...

oh well, I hope everything ends up well! I'm cheering for you!