The OFFICIAL Books thread

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: The OFFICIAL Books thread

Post by jerom »

Coma read books different way than I do.

What other fantasy series would you recommend though ? I might get my hands on a few, becuase I guess I dont dislike reading, I just only really like fantasy books.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

No i just have read many fantasy books and with the 3rd and 4th book of Inheritance i more and more realized that character development is really not that good (motivations, thought process etc). It is also what people criticize in book reviews of Inheritance

Robert Jordan Wheel of TIme
Steven Erikson A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen
Raymond E. Feist The Riftwar Saga
Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and THorn
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman Dragonlance Chronicles, Dragonlance Legends
David Eddings Elenium ( a more humourous one)

The first two are the most recent epic sagas, though u need some weekends to read even one of them. Robert Jordans Wheel of TIme is a 14 book saga with 600-1000 pages per book, the 14th and final book will be released end of year/beginning next year.
Steven Eriksons saga is a bit harder to follow but nevertheless epic. 10 books here with 900-1200 pages per book

Ther english books are quite cheap, i dunno how expensive they are when u buy them in your native language. In Germany they are then a lot more expensive
Last edited by Comadevil on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I might just borrow them for free at the library when some big holiday starts (I dont think my english is quite up to the task). Im a pretty fast reader (and relatively dedicated, which means I will only and only read for multiple days in a row) so that will be fine :-)
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

THis is also what i thought at ur age. But then money dictated english because english was only 50% of the price compared to german books. Only the first two-five books u need often dictionary. And today u haven even online dictionry. At my time i had to use a book which even didn't had all vocabluary :(
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Comadevil wrote: At my time i had to use a book which even didn't had all vocabluary :(
Damn, you're getting old Marco  :P

J-k.
Last edited by DutchNvG on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

U are totally right :(
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Comadevil wrote: No i just have read many fantasy books and with the 3rd and 4th book of Inheritance i more and more realized that character development is really not that good (motivations, thought process etc). It is also what people criticize in book reviews of Inheritance

Robert Jordan Wheel of TIme
Steven Erikson A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen
Raymond E. Feist The Riftwar Saga
Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and THorn
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman Dragonlance Chronicles, Dragonlance Legends
David Eddings Elenium ( a more humourous one)

The first two are the most recent epic sagas, though u need some weekends to read even one of them. Robert Jordans Wheel of TIme is a 14 book saga with 600-1000 pages per book, the 14th and final book will be released end of year/beginning next year.
Steven Eriksons saga is a bit harder to follow but nevertheless epic. 10 books here with 900-1200 pages per book

Ther english books are quite cheap, i dunno how expensive they are when u buy them in your native language. In Germany they are then a lot more expensive

I've only read one Fantasy series.  That was The Banned & The Banished series by James Clemens.  I really like the story, but I have nothing to compare it to. The only think I didn't care for was the apost'rophe ab'use.  Every na'me, every ci'ty....everything had an apostrophe in it.

The book names in series order are Wit'ch Fire, Wit'ch Storm, Wit'ch War, Wit'ch Gate, and Wit'ch Star.  I keep telling myself I'm going to re-read them, but then I keep forgetting.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

The Inheritance books are good but as Coma said they aren't *that* good. Character developing is poor and it is quite one-sided - we don't really get to know "the bad guys" nor their point of view other than "he's evil". Definitely not as good as Song of Ice and Fire or The Blade Itself books from Joe Abercrombie.

Has anyone read any of David Gemmel's books? They were very good, even though the stories seemed similar.
Last edited by Sporting_Lisbon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

One of the main problems I had with inheritance was that I was accidentally starting to like the evil guy XD
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Inheritance confirmed for worst book I've read in years.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Sporting_Lisbon wrote: Inheritance confirmed for worst book I've read in years.
Required reading?
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Soccerman771 wrote:
Sporting_Lisbon wrote: Inheritance confirmed for worst book I've read in years.
Required reading?
Rofl I liked the previous books and I thought this one would be ok too. I suppose it was because I was much younger when I read them.

Filled with loads of pages with literally no action, poor character development, "simple" ending, last-minute boosts on the main character, etc.
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

I'm not up to par on so many contemporary books, but I really like reading. Some for more entertainment and some at least to say that I've read them.

Hunger Games series (Hunger Games in the summer, the other two this fall).
Percy Jackson series (This spring. I realized it was for 12-year-olds+ after I had finished the last book, but it was pretty good even then)
Lord of the Rings - The Hobbit (this spring), Fellowship of the Ring (last year), Two Towers (last year and this year), The Return of the King (Late spring). (I had read these as a kid, but couldn't understand half of what was actually written.)
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain (Summer, on a road-trip to Bergen)
Horatio Hornblower (first three books/seven books, then I got a bit sick of the book and just watched the series online. It was good but it got repetitive).
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin (This fall)
Little Dorrit - Charles Dikkens (partly two years ago, partly this fall, scene TV-series)

I think this sums it up. We don't have a TV at home because we would watch too much, lol. In Norway TV is so random so it wouldn't matter too much though. I like books better. Sort of just get in my own world a bit.
Last edited by murdilator on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I read some Ludlum book this summer.... Never read any of his books but I kinda liked it (though it was a bit straightforwarded), was done in 2 days lol :-)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

jerom wrote: I read some Ludlum book this summer.... Never read any of his books but I kinda liked it (though it was a bit straightforwarded), was done in 2 days lol :-)
Was it Ludlum or one of his "famous" ghost writers?  Ludlum is great, the ghost writers - not so much...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th