PR and ELO Rating for Dummies

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

PR and ELO Rating for Dummies

Post by BashUgood »

Could someone explain to me how these work.

For example what affects these ratings ?
If a player was to constantly play someone who had the same PR would his ELO go up?

I know it's obvious that if you play someone of higher rank it would increase.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: PR and ELO Rating for Dummies

Post by RascalJones »

I think a lot of people have wanted to know the formula for calculating PR. ES has never divulged the information as far as I know. The things that have been said are that PR and how much you go up or down based on a win or loss is based on your rank, opponent's rank, which civ you played and played against - using the idea that some civs are stronger than others (a subjective rating, only ES knows how they rank civs), plus I think it depends on whether you're right-handed or left-handed, whether or not you're wearing a shirt, or if your monitor is plugged in.

ELO Rating. I have not read anything about it. I would assume it's a little more straight forward than ES's PR.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Here's the explanation for the rankings:

AOE Rankings

Basically a win gets you points, no matter what. The higher you get the more a win over a quality opponent will give you points. A loss vs a lower player nets you a bigger loss as well..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""RascalJones""]plus I think it depends on whether you're right-handed or left-handed, whether or not you're wearing a shirt, or if your monitor is plugged in.[/quote]

and also if you are wearing clean underwear or not. 8O
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""RascalJones""]Iwhich civ you played and played against - using the idea that some civs are stronger than others (a subjective rating, only ES knows how they rank civs), [/quote]

This is not true - it is not subjective. The ranking on win % you see on the main screen is what they use for determining the strength of a civ, the way I understand it. AOE Rank

Based on this, generally speaking winning a game with portuguese will get you more points than winning a game playing as any other, because they have the lowest win % - 43%. Conversely, winning as Chinese will get you the fewest points as they have the highest (lame) winning % - 55.77%.

That said, PR doesn't mean nearly as much when it comes to skill as ELO, or even the amount of experience points someone has. I've beaten Majors and lost to Corporals. It's all a matter of strategy, countering, and other various things. I've seen people rise to Captain by noob-bashing..(i.e. playing only conscripts and privates).
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Yeah and Freezing the game after Losing. Watch for blade__kemal i.e. Definitely not a Major or whatever he is or used to be.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I've also heard that player win % matters, but it frankly doesn't make much sense. Also, nice avatar Pierre!
Groovy.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

ok, I know I'm bumping an "old" thread, but I have to bring this up. I think players should not start over at 0 with the new game. PR should carry over. I think I'd also be valuable to see ELO when you hover over a player's avatar before a game.

Shoot_bogey and I were playing 2v2's like we do..we step into a game we think is even. Game Stats

Those two guys we played are PR 25 in vanilla and are only Corporals/ Serg's in TAD. BTW, we pretty much owned those guys and dictated that whole game....Sevastapol FTW!!!

I'm really starting to get the feeling that I really don't know what rank I should be playing against...
jtackel@hotmail.com

KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Thing is, with each expansion the relative ELO and PR of all players tends to go down, because there are fewer people playing.

People tend to have a rating that is a lot higher in vanilla than in TAD. That's just how it works.

Plus, I like how it starts over with each expansion -- it gives people a chance to start over. Sometimes with a nick that has a lot of games on it, you get locked into a rating or a PR because if you have a lot of games it becomes more difficult to raise your PR or ELO.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by BashUgood »

@ Soccerman..

You pretty much argued against your own preference as far as PR carrying over to a new game.. ;)
Basically because as some have stated here, your PR in Vanilla doesn't mean you'll be reanked the same PR in AoD.

For instance my main civs in Vanilla were French and Port.
If I was somehow able to play a game vs. myself now, I would be able to beat the old me even though the old me from vanilla is quite higher in rank.
( I think I may need to see a shrink after this post ) :D

I do like your idea about the ELO rating showing when hovering over opponent.