Wikileaks...

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Wikileaks...

Post by wicked_assassin »

Soccer jullian can't be a traitor as he is not an american.

Secondly their is nothing amazing about the leaks. The way the us tries to win countries over is nothing special (only how they tried to win slovenia over was a bid under the price, ( a meeting with obama.... lol).

Our countries do the same thing.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]
Yeah, of coarse he is. What his actions have done will put lives in danger and get people killed all in the name of "freedom of press". His actions are irresponsible at best, but whatever it takes to bring the US down, right?
[/quote]
It is not about bringing the US down, it is more about Hacker ethics and "usual" ethics collide here. Hacker ethics says: "All information should be free." Wihtout that ethics u wouldn't have had Linux, Napster, Wikipedia, Openstreetmap or Jailbreak for Iphone.
THe next revealing of documents will be the documents of a big bank and it will really show some unethical businesses there.

Granted: The revealing of information can put someones live in danger.

But also if u don't reveal information it can put live in dangers because people go to war and eventually die because the leaders put them to war and it is questionable if this wars are justified or not.
Afghanistan is an utter failure and even Iraq is very much questionable IMO
ANd soldiers die for it or come eventually back with psychological damage. Not to mention the money invested there.

[quote=""Soccerman771""]
There's a reason that those documents are classified. Most of the stuff he's 'published' is the non-PC facts about how countries and diplomats behave and their professional abilities. It does nothing but hurt relationships between sovereign countries. How is that a good thing?
[/quote]
To be honest: If 1% (2,5 mio access to classifieds and 850000 to top secret) of the US population had access to many of those documents than it isn't for sure a secret to other states anymore because agents are already sitting there out somewhere or someone sells it for money. I am pretty sure that other some other states had already knowledge about that.
To be sarcastic: The US should be thankful because else they would have experienced a data desaster in a much worse way. How can have 2,5 mio people access to that data and no one controls it? That's ridiculous.
The hunting of wikileaks justs masks their utter failure.

[quote=""Soccerman771""]
He's a hacker and a traitor
[/quote]
Hacker yes, traitor no. I guess he would even take the hacker as compliment

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Leaking classified and sensitive information about powerful countries is not a good thing to do in a world where black ops agents exist.[/quote]

Then there will be other people who do the same thing. The world doesn't have so many black ops agents to stop them.

For me this in general a good thing because much politics is dictated by lobbyism. U can only reveal that and take actions against it by revealing all the information.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

comaevil wins the thread, i wanted to write the same (just only about 10% as awesome). what difference does it make if those people die in war or after this revelation? this revelation of information is very much welcomed.
the government also wants to know as much as possible about us so why wouldn't we want that too? :)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

as much as i love freedom of information act , i see nothing but bad coming from this. some stuff shouldn't be public knowledge when theres the chance of economic harm however indirect it may be. the world has enough crap happening now as is , no need to pour more fuel onto the fire
- Dan
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I'm afraid that politicians will hide even more things now and less information will get revealed.

Giving Information is good. Giving Information without thinking about the consequences and fragile society structures is bad.

Nevertheless, he didn't kill anyone. If those Information killed people or might kill people, we should think about the people who sent others into armed conflicts as well.
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

My unofficial comment is "yawn" and "chuckle".

My official comment is, "Better set aside several days for security briefings, training, and intranet security reviews. Let's find that leaker (grrr) and don't feed Wikileak *******."
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Marco, while I appreciate and respect your comments I think you are wrong. Especially the first part. This is a directed attack against the US's foreign policy and is meant to bring down the US and it's relationships with it's foreign allies. It really hurts smaller countries that cannot admit that they are our allies or that are in dealings with us. There is a great article in the Wall Street Journal last week that shows with specific examples of leaked information that shows that this is by far more embarrassing to smaller European countries than it is to the US. Furthermore, since I was quoting aaryn I was making the correlation that when it's come to the US, he's always chosen the anti-American sentiment. Sad more than anything really.

As to the traitor comment - he's working against the US and illegally obtained US information. Regardless of his citizenship, he's making traitorous actions.

I'll find the specific new article information if you are interested...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]
As to the traitor comment - he's working against the US and illegally obtained US information. Regardless of his citizenship, he's making traitorous actions.
[/quote]

A traitor is one of who betrays his nation. I for example can't commit treason on turkey as i'm a belgian. For example.

And untill now only some ego's were hurt because what we were saying over dinner has been published. I live in a small eruopean country and the snow is even bigger news then what has been published about belgium.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]

I'll find the specific new article information if you are interested...[/quote]

Of course. It is hard to argue against something if u don't know it. ;)

Thx in advance
Marco
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

It's a necessary evil. Especially now that real journalism is dead or dying, replaced by blow hard pundits and opinionated talkers who occupy our "news" space.

Actually, now that I think about it. it's refreshing to see something other than the trashy tabloid journalism and fake news that passes for news nowadays.

Mac
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

@Macabee - it's refreshing we have a topic where I unreservedly agree with you
Wetmelon
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Wetmelon »

I think it's absolutely necessary for the governments to eat a piece of humble pie. If someone tries to arrest this man for his acts, I'll be the first on the street protesting the injustice. And I'm a guy who always laughs at protesters.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]@Macabee - it's refreshing we have a topic where I unreservedly agree with you[/quote]

LOL, yes it is!

Mac
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Comadevil""][quote=""Soccerman771""]

I'll find the specific new article information if you are interested...[/quote]

Of course. It is hard to argue against something if u don't know it. ;)

Thx in advance
Marco[/quote]

Ok, I found it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 59638.html

Full disclosure here. I'm all for keeping governments honest and ratting out illegal behavior, war crimes, etc. I do believe in keeping your allies honest and looking out for your own interests and interests of your allies. I also think it's important to hedge bets against anti-humanitarian nations (pakistan, iran, etc...) in the interest of human rights for everyone. Wikileaks' founder is a self proclaimed anarchist and has several charges against him for sexual crimes as well - notably Sweden. If Sweden has a problem with you, then you've probably done something bad.

There was another article about this subject a couple of days later about a US citizen that is Islamic, but loyal to the US. He's helped stop Times Square terrorist plots and other terrorist things. He's done spy work for the US finding out things about Egypt (a US ally)and other mideast relationships. Because of Assange, this guy's life is now in danger. This guy's purpose has nothing to do with Iraq or Afghanistan, and is all about bringing the US foreign policy to a screeching halt. He's now threatening other hacker responses if anyone tries to take his site down. 1/2 of Europe (the governments) is really upset with him and want his actions to stop.

I'd like to know what you think of the article.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Macabee""]It's a necessary evil. Especially now that real journalism is dead or dying, replaced by blow hard pundits and opinionated talkers who occupy our "news" space.

Actually, now that I think about it. it's refreshing to see something other than the trashy tabloid journalism and fake news that passes for news nowadays.

Mac[/quote]

Great observation. I totally agree. I can barely watch the local news without someone telling me what to think....
jtackel@hotmail.com