Something I really dislike about Sc2

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

Something I really dislike about Sc2

Post by 36drew »

So far here is my biggest beef with sc2. Back in AOE when I play Q/S I had the choice of going +/-15 in terms of PR.

This was great since it might mean I could be a colonel and face a 2nd lieut. Likewise it was even cooler since it might mean that I could face a bloody major general or one of the best players in the world.

Currently I'm about 1400 diamond, and I get to play players that are between 1300-1500 diamond in the matchmaking system. While this is mostly good, it would be fun once in a while to play a true guru of the game, or to play a lower ranked player who I could try a unique strat against. And since you can't host a rated ladder game... well.

Thoughts? Anyone else got beef?
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Something I really dislike about Sc2

Post by deadhanddan »

my gripes are lack of hosted rateds and no cross server
- Dan
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

No cross server at the moment is also just blah... I can't wait until it gets patched.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

yes drew you are right hits is the biggest downfall of teh game.
but you are still lucky!
your mmr and your points are in balance now, since you get roughly people of ±100 within you points. when i played 10 games and was in gold league, i would get 800 points diamond (that was early september so over a month ago where the highest guys were 1800) and i kept getting people around 798, 801, 802 which was just rofl. i bet there were thousands of people quicksearching for a game and it wouldn't give me them but it would give me the 800 guys.
i approve of your suggestion, once in a while you play someone considerably lower than you and on the other hand sometimes you play people considerably higher - keeps things fresh and clean
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]... keeps things fresh and clean...[/quote]

I tend to find it easier and more pleasant 2 just shower 2 get the same end results

out

PS pretty soon Ill create a thread with the exact same title as urs Adam.....im still trying 2 gain some more understanding about gameplay b4 I start comparing the uncomparable.
Gomezd
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Gomezd »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]yes drew you are right hits is the biggest downfall of teh game.
but you are still lucky!
your mmr and your points are in balance now, since you get roughly people of ±100 within you points. when i played 10 games and was in gold league, i would get 800 points diamond (that was early september so over a month ago where the highest guys were 1800) and i kept getting people around 798, 801, 802 which was just rofl. i bet there were thousands of people quicksearching for a game and it wouldn't give me them but it would give me the 800 guys.
i approve of your suggestion, once in a while you play someone considerably lower than you and on the other hand sometimes you play people considerably higher - keeps things fresh and clean[/quote]

As far as I know blizzard uses a different "secret" rating for matchmaking and promoting, so you'd always play people near your skill level I remember there was a detailed link about that if I can find it I'll post it

Edit: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=142211
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Drew, the only reason there was ever such a large disparity between the best and worst opponents you faced in AoE is that there were far fewer players on ESO2 at any given time.

Since there are always so many people playing SC2, the matchmaking system is never going to need to place you against somebody so far away from your skill level. The AoE system probably wasn't any different, it was simply forced to place you against people much worse or much better than you because there weren't very many opponents to choose from.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey