World Cup Discussion

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: World Cup Discussion

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]Did any of you ever shot a penalty? It definitely isn't that easy.[/quote]

If I paid someone £100,000 a week, I would expect them to hit the target every time. The keeper may save it, but to miss the goal completely is unforgivable.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

Taking a penalty isnt difficult, they score them with their eyes closed 100% on the training field, but after 120 min of football with very high tenston its a whole different story. Even the best players can fail in that case
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

In general everything said about the penalty is true, taking one is really easy, without the pressure.

For the finals, I think Dutch/Brazil vs German, but leaning more towards Brazil, and than Germany will win.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

By the way, nice thing about soccer vs football :)

NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""lordandcount""]By the way, nice thing about soccer vs football :)

[/quote]
LOL that one is really really really funny (and true)
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

In my playing days I took the corners and free kicks, and I could pretty much get them where I wanted. I scored goals from all over the field. But I missed my second and third penalty in competion and I never took another unless I was requiered to make up the numbers.
Horrible, the nerves, the goal looks huge in practice, in competion the goalkeeper looks huge.

It's weird, when in full play, I could score from any angle, always keeping calm and having a good sense of where the goal is. Some other players can't score a field goal but are like ice when they take a penalty.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""lordandcount""]By the way, nice thing about soccer vs football :)

[/quote]

I love John Cleese.

By the way, penalties are so easy to make I don't know why any are missed.

Just ask this guy:

jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Actually it is up to the coach to know who can take a penalty and can control the nerves, and who can't take a penalty and can't control the nerves.

The coach should have prevented that someone like that guy would take the penalty
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Guys wth, only one player missing a penalty shoot is very rare, and had the ball gone half a meter down it would be a perfect shot and very hard to defend for the goalkeeper.

Tbh the guys who failed in that penalty shootout were the goal keepers.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Bart331""]Taking a penalty isnt difficult, they score them with their eyes closed 100% on the training field, but after 120 min of football with very high tenston its a whole different story. Even the best players can fail in that case[/quote]

My whole point is they train every day to do this. They are paid to deal with the pressure and still be able to take a spot kick after 120 mins. It's what they do, and the get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do it.
There are plenty of jobs in the world that deal with much greater pressure than a football match, and if you fail at these jobs then the chances are you would be sacked.
As I said, for that much money, they hit the target every time, no excuses.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

My whole point is they train every day to do this. They are paid to deal with the pressure and still be able to take a spot kick after 120 mins. It's what they do, and the get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do it.
There are plenty of jobs in the world that deal with much greater pressure than a football match, and if you fail at these jobs then the chances are you would be sacked.
As I said, for that much money, they hit the target every time, no excuses.
How can you pay someone to deal with such amount of pressure? That single penalty can cause a whole country to be dissapointed in you, it can change your entire carreer. I would hate to stand there and have to take a penalty under such amount of stress, but those guys take their responsibility and do it. You can't train your performance under such circumstances.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Bart331""]
How can you pay someone to deal with such amount of pressure? That single penalty can cause a whole country to be dissapointed in you, it can change your entire carreer. I would hate to stand there and have to take a penalty under such amount of stress, but those guys take their responsibility and do it. You can't train your performance under such circumstances.[/quote]

Well John Terry also missed the penalty vs Manchester and he didn't die.
Of course it can change ur career. That's life. In other jobs it is also like this, there even a very bad decision can make your company bankrupt or u are under total pressure because many people depend on you. If you fail maybe they don't have work anymore. That is real pressure

The difference is: Most football players have earned enough, normal people are on the street and if they don't get a job, then selling house first (if they have one), depending on social welfare etc. So much more burden. If u have a family who depends on you even more

And: A country forgets fast this days. Ask all the english players who missed the penalties vs Germany. ;)
And good players or trainers always find a job. If it isn't in the country they come from, then somewhere else
Good example is Steve McClaren, the trainer who missed qualification to EC with England. Went to Holland, made an underdog club national champion and has now a well paid job at former german champion Wolfsburg.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""Comadevil""][quote=""Bart331""]
How can you pay someone to deal with such amount of pressure? That single penalty can cause a whole country to be dissapointed in you, it can change your entire carreer. I would hate to stand there and have to take a penalty under such amount of stress, but those guys take their responsibility and do it. You can't train your performance under such circumstances.[/quote]

Well John Terry also missed the penalty vs Manchester and he didn't die.
Of course it can change ur career. That's life. In other jobs it is also like this, there even a very bad decision can make your company bankrupt or u are under total pressure because many people depend on you. If you fail maybe they don't have work anymore. That is real pressure

The difference is: Most football players have earned enough, normal people are on the street and if they don't get a job, then selling house first (if they have one), depending on social welfare etc. So much more burden. If u have a family who depends on you even more

And: A country forgets fast this days. Ask all the english players who missed the penalties vs Germany. ;)
And good players or trainers always find a job. If it isn't in the country they come from, then somewhere else
Good example is Steve McClaren, the trainer who missed qualification to EC with England. Went to Holland, made an underdog club national champion and has now a well paid job at former german champion Wolfsburg.[/quote]
not really an underdog, but well number 5 or 4 of holland
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""jerom""]
not really an underdog, but well number 5 or 4 of holland[/quote]

Well, in a country where usually Feyer Rotterdam, Ajax Amsterdam or PSV Eindhoven win the championship (only 3 times in the 50 years before another club than this three won the championship), i would define even Number 4 or 5 as an underdog. ;)
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

yeah they were definitely underdog, but last season they also finished 2nd, so they have been doing well lately. But noone thought they would become champion at start of the season