World Cup Discussion

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: World Cup Discussion

Post by Soccerman771 »

And Europeans call Americans arrogant....
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

@etrips: This is a difficult question. Normally everybody would say: Yeah, get those cameras to secure it was a goal or not. But people here are afraid of what happens if you have to pause the game to check it. It might be ok for that kind of decisions, but where and when will it stop? Let's check if that was a red card again. Let's check if that was a yellow card again. Let's check if that was a free kick again. You know what i mean? The referees authority will also lack quite a bit. Furthermore i have to agree with the people who are saying: If there isn't any doubt about decisions, football only would be as half as nice, because there wouldn't be any things to discuss. On the other hand i have to admit that on that level of professionality and that much money involved, there shouldn't be any doubt at all. Difficult...
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]And Europeans call Americans arrogant....[/quote]

Not all of them, matey...
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Bart331""]on the USA discussion, yeah they perform quite well on the wc and always survive group phase, but they haven't got the qualities yet to have a shot on the overall victory, many teams have much better players.

The MSL competition is a joke and i doubt any strong player wants to play there (except to earn cash at the end of career). Funny thing to see this WC is that the level of games during the big champions leaugue matches is much higher then the average WC game. So that's why we conclude quickly usa "sucks", cause they loose from ghana who also "sucked". If you watch the big european club teams play eachother the quality of the matches is so much better. Most teams on world cup didnt have enough time to really get used to each other, and the most important players in the competitions are mostly foreigners so the local players dont have a chance to reach the next level. This affects the level of the national team (england, france , italy) But you see that in german competition and in spanish competition relatively a lot of germans and spanish players play so they also got very strong national teams (the players are used to play at high level).

Conclusion, usa team performs well but the quality of the players isnt high enough, thats why the big euro club teams will never contract one. Thats why they will never reach the level of a World Cup candidate.[/quote]

wow phenomenal post bart xD
summed it up nicely.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]

I__CHAOS__I
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:23 pm Post subject: Re: World Cup Discussion
lol @ Ghana beating USA

^^^ He's not :D[/quote]

and what does my nationality has to do with what i believe is funny or not? I was actually putting more faith in USA beating Ghana...

And with a population of over 300 mil, USA is bound to get better, as soon as the game becomes popular. Same will happen in China, but for now they are putting their money into other sports (and pwning the competition there)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

The score of Argentinia - Mexico is totally wicked IMO.
Argentinia did 3 things good:
- they made the referees believe the offside goal was not offside
- they managed to profit from a supid error in the defense of mexico
- they managed to shoot one ball in the goal, which ended for the feet of Tevez kinda lucky

Argentinia never controled the match, IMO Mexico always had the upper hand, but just were a bit unlucky, better score would be 1-1 or something
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""froggyman""]GHANA TO WIN WORLD CUP !!!!!!![/quote]

+1 :D
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

germany vs argentinia will show which of those is actually good. This far both have shown they can be really strong at times. Germany seems like a very balanced team so i think they will have the upper hand at the end, but it will be a great clash for sure.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

I love sports in general - there is a raw competition where the score, and not some decision by brother-in-law, determines who wins. The competitors have real risk, because when you lose you are judged objectively "worse" rather than just getting to say something like "they didn't like me because I'm smarter than them" or whatever nonsense gets thrown around in RL.

However, some of the discussions in this thread illustrate exactly what I don't like about sports, especially sports fans.

First, winning or losing in sports is not a moral outcome - teams don't lose simply because the other team tried harder or because they had the wrong talent on the field. Sports is about match-ups, and how the particular game progresses. That's why they play the games, otherwise we could just decide games on a spreadsheet.

Second, the winning of your team indicates nothing about you or your country. The game is won by those players on the field. Likewise, the losing of your team is not a shame to you or your country. Further, it's not a shame to the competitors. They tried, and someone had to win. If they played with good effort and sportsmanship, that is all that can be asked.

The players are the ones putting themselves out for judgment. Until we invite people into our workplace to judge and jeer us for our work performance, we can't hold a candle to that. And to do that - we'd have to do something people care about anyway.

Their glory is not your glory. Aaryn you had nothing more to do with Germany crushing England than I did, and I had nothing more with the US losing to Ghana than you did.

Before these games, I knew or cared nothing about [football]. I watched that Ghana game, I liked the flow of the game, and I'll probably watch some more [football] when the opportunity presents itself. That is probably good for the game, whatever you think of the merits (or lack thereof) of the US.

Predictions about what will happen in games that will occur years from now is absolutely silly. It's hard enough to know how a game right in front of us will come out.
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Netherlands 2 - Slovakia 1

The Dutch are through to the quarter finals :D
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

Their glory is not your glory. Aaryn you had nothing more to do with Germany crushing England than I did, and I had nothing more with the US losing to Ghana than you did.
Thats the whole difference in football experience, you don't care, aaryn does. A whole nation cares overhere. People are living towards the matches and hope sincerely THEIR team succeeds in reaching the ultimate goal. If you arent a football fan then plz dont judge about the experience other fans have. And i am sure aaryn had quite some different experience from watching Germany-England then a england fan had (getting drunk, riding in his car while claxoning, demolishing city centre, whatever).

BTW

NETHERLANDS IN QUARTER FINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , terrible game but briliant Robben shoots us through !!!!
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Bart331""]
BTW

NETHERLANDS IN QUARTER FINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , terrible game but briliant Robben shoots us through !!!![/quote]

Robben was fantastic, as he has been for years and years. There was talk of him not even playing in this world cup, that would have been a huge mistake, he's one of the Netherlands greatest all time players IMO. Consistant and reliable, very rare to see him have a bad game for his country. A true legend.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]
. There was talk of him not even playing in this world cup, that would have been a huge mistake, he's one of the Netherlands greatest all time players IMO.[/quote]

Well that was more because he got injured at the last friendly game before WC and it wasn't clear if he could play. That's also why he sat on the bank during group phase, there was no need to put him in and to take the risk that this injury will break up again
Also if he isn't really fit he also doesn't play at Bayern Munich or only for a short time, even if it is an important game
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

he isnt 100% fit yet, i think they are taking quite some risks with him.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Man I have soooo much Id like 2 add,both in da "haters" defense and in the US defense. Ive lost track of all the quotes I had prepared myself 2 comment upon.

However Ill just w8 2 c what my beloved country (not the 23 elected professional football stars) will achieve b4 I through my very own poison into dis thread.

out

one thing goes without saying though Indy...... sports would b Nothing without that which u most despise about sports itself, namely the fans. And thus ur very elaborate and well written logic goes str8 out tha window bro