Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

PeePing Tom on Opponets deck ?

Post by BashUgood »

Hi..

I've noticed that some players mention about checking their opponets deck.
I don't do this myself and I was wondering at when do you check his deck ?
Is it in game when your opponet chooses his deck?

How many people actually do this and does it really help ?
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: PeePing Tom on Opponets deck ?

Post by Navarone_Guy »

You used to be able to see his deck name so people were forced to code them. I do it usually as it gives some sort of insight as to the cards he's sending and possibly what strategy he's doing.
Groovy.
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

Pressing F6 takes you to the screen then you click on the flag to see their deck. I try to do this after I send my first shipment (typically he time the opponent will be sending theirs).

With 25 cards in a deck, it is hard to know what their strategy is but if you are on a map that can use water or land, checking out the deck will give you an idea if he plans to boat boom or attack by land.

If you see a lot of mercs in a Germans deck, a FF may be in the process. Seeing archaic infantry in Spanish means possible Colonial rush, etc. If you see Colonial Militia in a Dutch deck, do not rush them.

It's no guarantee, but it don’t hurt to try. The number of upgrade cards in their deck is a giveaway on their favorite unit type. For example, Spain can upgrade infantry or cavalry. If you see a lot of cavalry upgrades, you can almost guarantee Lancers are coming.

Against Japan, you can even see what cards have been played (currently a bug but since they get 2 shipments for most cards, you can see when 1 of them has been played).
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Oh, I didn't know about that bug! I think it should show what cards have been played because you could normally figure out that information by judging their armies and checking their units' stats and whatnot, but it would just take out a lot of the work.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

It's something that you should definitely do. A lot of the time certain cards will stand out as flags for the opponent's strategy. If you see them, you can be prepared. I definitely don't do it enough myself, and I think many people neglect to. If you want to start improving, that's one place to start.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

most decks/strats are predictable nowadays :(
but try to make a habbit of it.
Best time is usually during age up, it's where u get some free time
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I do it every game without question. Unfortunately, I can't play worth anything lately. Loosing PR/ELO left right and center.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

^Same here, don't worry.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

drew, ur still major!!! im a crappy ole master serg.. dont worry you'll pull through
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

I check my enemy´s deck whilst Im aging (usually the time when things are pretty quiet ingame. I find that checking ur enemy´s most important on water maps. ie if Im playing a water map vs an aztec playa and he hasnt got his OP water dance card or schooner then Ill end up getting my feet wet, if he does then Ill just have do pwn him another way :P

Out
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Definitely take a peek. This is best to see the difference in age II and age III cards. It can definitely tip off a ff or setup for mercs. It can also tell you if they plan to use grens or natives.

Adversely, you can use your deck to your advantage to 'tip off' a strat that you aren't going to do. Though very risky, since most of the time you NEVER use all 25 cards (even in NR games it's difficult to use all 25). You can fake a FF deck and flat out rush and catch em off guard.

The best though is when you do this, pretend you are Bill Belichick and wear a hoodie ;)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

best way to fool your opponent with a "fake deck" is to check his deck early and tell him: "hmmm, interesting strat..."

Be sure he will check your deck and fall into the trap ;)
(well possibly at least)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle