The Tribal Unity semi-FF! (or an OP fortress age transition)

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

The Tribal Unity semi-FF! (or an OP fortress age transition)

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Got that feeling that iros got nerf'd quite hard on this patch? Well, think again.

Tribal unity card (the one that reduces Iroquois Tribes mercs price down to 250c from 1000c) isn't exactly new stuff. However, it has been forgotten most of the time.

This isn't exactly a "semi-FF BO", it's more like an extra candy you can add to your daily iros, no matter your situation.

SO remember the good ol' "im an iroquois with an hut up and 4 kanyas by your hunts at 4:30 and there's nothing you can do about it" ?

In case you don't:

Get travois exploring around your base, use 100w on a market, use coin treasures and get hunting dogs, if you can't get it because you lack both the wood and coin (can happen on300f 100w starts) don't worry too much since that extra food crate will make you age a little sooner too.

Always ship 3v, unless it's yukon and you want to try your luck with gente pete on the treasures. I personally never do it.

ALWAYS age with the messenger. This cute politician allows you to age at 4:00 and get your hut right by your enemy's base, guarding a resource chokepoint and giving you a lot of map control.

On transition to colonial, get the coin needed for hunting dogs and steel traps and then get them back on wood.

You'll always need 4-5 or more vills on wood right from disco to colo to get 125w for the 2nd longhouse.

So you've made it to colonial, you get the travois up there as said before. CAUTION: smartass players will get an explorer to melee your fellow travois and slow him down. To avoid this, get your own chief melee'ing him. And remember that converted guardians and treasure incas can make it a huge mess.

Now as first card in colonial, I like to get 4 kanyas. In 2 swings the 4 kanyas kill a vill so they're quite good at punishing unaware players. Also remember that since you aged so soon most people automatically think that there's a rush coming, so these 4 kanyas reinforce that idea.

Don't forget to have vills queued all the time, obviously.

Now you got to choose:

- you either keep it cool and stay colonial for a while, making sure you're safe;

- or you scout and raid him hard with the 4 kanyas plus 5 tomas enough to keep him turtling on his base, waiting for a non-existent huge army.

In case you wanna keep colonial for a while, you have 2 options as well. If he's spamming hard and feeling like taking your hut, ship 6 tomas or aennas before shipping vill cards. If he's defending, ship 5 vills and keep the unit cards for the next battle by your hut. Anyway get some tomas from your hut and then adjust to what your enemy is doing: if he sticks to inf, get aenna; if he's getting some cav, make sure you always have tomas around.

Keep harassing with your army and kanyas while you ship another 4 vill card and get market wood upgrades and a corral.

Remember to be the one picking your battles. Always try to fight next to your hut. The dude will at some point try to fight you so that he can himself get some map control, especially hunts. Kanyas + fb can take away quite some hunts from him, making the hut a desired target.

Yet, that hut has some tricks. When the big army reaches the fb, there are 4 things to be coordinated:

1 - The most obvious one. Get your army in there, your army will often be away harassing. You can play with the 2000 hp the hut has, but that hut has to stand even if with just 100hp, so hurry up. Aennas have 5 speed so you might want to separate them from your tomas to get there quickly.

2 - Queue units from your hut. Self explanatory.

3 - Get your chief in there as well, that shotgun he has get 4~ units with half the health, which is great, and also gives the 15% hp aura that turns the tide of a battle.

4 - Army shipment. Get one coming so that they come in time to win you the battle.

5 - Tc BB. Use your market, do whatever you need, if you can have +5 tomas in 6~ secs, get them.

6 - Do not bother with firepit when in colonial, with 10v it's only worth 12.5% attack. Only use it in late colonial when you have 40-50+ vills.

Coordinated, fighting by your hut gives you the 30 atk from the hut, 6 units from card, 5 from queue, 5 from BB and the chief shot.

If you're eventually successful and you owned hard, feel free to get town destroyer and wipe the rest. In case you weren't successful, well, kanyas might get you some kills but the situation is ugly.

Because of all this spam out of nowhere from the hut, the cute hut is quite scary, so you might be able to hold your position for quite some time, giving you the opportunity to go fortress. If you've sent some vills on coin and got the resources, good. If you haven't or still need some coin, ship 600c. From here on, it is similar to the semi-FF.

So in case you did a good poker game right from start and tricked your opponent into believing that those 5 toma from hut and 4 kanyas were indeed a rush, then the build order is the following. After the 4 kanyas, get 600c card. Age with the wise woman poli. You then have to realize that you won't make any unit from your hut or corral. Everything will be either BB or shipment. So when in transition to fortress, you'll have to gather:

- 450f 100w for first BB

- 500f 500c for second BB

- 500f 500c 500w for third BB

- 125-250w for houses

- 100w for firepit.

Which represents 1450f 1000c and 850w. If you're going to fortress right from 6 mins this is quite a large sum of res, while if you're going to fortress after having stayed a while in colonial this is all much easier. Still, remember that you will only have to have this resources when your opponent comes in town, so think of this as a secondary objective. Until then, you've got other more important and also more powerful stuff to get.

As soon as you hit fortress, you're opponent will try to get the hands on you with a huge force. If you think that the thing looks ugly, ship 8 prowlers / 5 cuirs and get ready for the scenario of having to get all the BB's asap. If he's still on his place or his army isn't that scary, ship Tribal Unity.

You might think "wait wth, i just came to fortress and he's asking me to waste a precious shipment on that crap?" Well the thing is that your very first 250c card will be quite worth it. On the next shipment get 14 tomas and 500w for 250c. That's right, a 1900 res ship instead of ordinary 900-1000 ones. And it gives you precious WOOD. The wood that you'll use for the huge 500f 500c 500w BB.

If you stay defensive for a while you can even manage to get 9 kanyas and 2 medicine men for 250c as well.

If at this point your tc is still standing, get 5+10+15 in addition to your 14 tomas, so that's 44 tomas like really fast. Get the elite upgrade as well on the war hut. Also since you're in fortress get that war dance with 18v to give extra 20%~ atk.

As you have noticed this isn't exactly a single strategy, it's more like a feature for the iros. Kind of the same thing as otto revolt: you can either fast revolt or you can revolt when you get there, be it a delayed 1v1 game or a team game.

I personally like the whole +44 tomas after i've been playing a bit in colonial age with the opponent. Since you have more vills, it's waay more versatile. You can even get the market BB for 2k xp to spam a lot more 250c cards. I guarantee that it is a great finisher if you've been spending the colonial age with just a little edge on the game.

The 250c cards are 14 tomas + 500w, 9 kanyas + 2 medicine men, 6 mantlets + 5 rams, 10 prowlers + 2 travois, 10v + 1 tc, 12 aennas + 2 war canoes.

The straight semi-FF works great but just ONCE against the same player. I've tried to do it twice in a row and guess what? The dude was all over my base sieging everything, since he obviously wasn't going to think i was going to rush him.

Particular matchups:

- Vs Japan don't bother shipping 4 kanyas as 1st cav: they're very hard to raid and aennas or tomas are more effective at start.

- Vs Dutch don't semi-FF for a big huge mass of tomas. He'll have tons of skirms and your tomas will go down quickly. Just do the ordinary colonial game and then go fortress.

- Vs Brit the semi-FF is nice since they most of the times play defensively.

- Vs Ports you can age with 14v and ship town destroyer right from start and get the 2nd tc. Yes it is possible and I've done it quite some times ::/

I will try to leave the lovely samurais alone and get some more iro recs.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: The Tribal Unity semi-FF! (or an OP fortress age transit

oops double post, someone delete the other one ^^
Last edited by Sporting_Lisbon on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Sporting, if I weren't a straight guy and a few thousand miles away, I'd give you a kiss full on the lips!!!!!

Thanks bro, I have been working on something similar lately, but yours blows mine away!!!
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Wow great, It took a long time to read, but really great and very usefull.
How long did it took you to write it, about half an hour ?
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yep, half an hour indeed ^^
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

thanks for that sporting, you fulfilled your promise :-)
this is cool cuz it's versatile and ppl really have to know what to when, no cookie cutter bo, adaption is teh word :-P