Super Bowl

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Super Bowl

Post by KingKaramazov »

I'm absolutely disgusted. That was the worst Super Bowl I've seen yet, though I admit I am young.

The Patriots shamed their great season with a dismal, pathetic showing in the Super Bowl. If they had played up to their standards, they would have won easily. Instead, they played really poorly. I couldn't help feeling like they just didn't want it that much. How could they, when they were so clearly unable to do any of the things they'd been able to do for the rest of the season?

I'm sure this is a happy time for any Giants fans (screw you) but the truth of the matter is, the Giants didn't win the Super Bowl; the Patriots lost it. There are plenty of other teams that could have similarly won today. The Patriots were not the same team they had been for the rest of the season.

Besides all of that, it was simply not a very exciting or fun game to watch. It was incredibly low scoring, with many mistakes and failed drives by both teams. Even the commercials weren't much to talk about.

Bleh.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Super Bowl

Post by BashUgood »

Glad to hear I didn't miss anything... :D
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

This should prove it to everyone. AOE3 > real life > football. :D
Groovy.
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

The game was very, very boring. It's up there with the most boring superbowls in history.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Agreed, Craz3n. Like I said, Giants fan or no, the game sucked.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I liked it. I loved watching Tom Brady get hit every other play. It's about TIME someone tried that.

The commercials were very weak.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Seemed to me that it was just a suck-fest. Which team can suck more?

In that sense, the Patriots certainly won.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Giants played to keep Brady & Co off the field. First drive of the game was 10 minutes. Patriots never even HAD the ball until the 1st quarter was 2/3 over. Good game plan. THe Giants had several long (clock-wise) drives that came up empty. On D, they hit Brady so many times he may forget who Gisele is by now.

The Patriots played unspectacularly, but they haven't looked GREAT in several weeks now. I think the Chargers should have had them 2 weeks ago.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I thought it was a good game. Giants set out their stall in 1st quarter, then they both tested each other out before the game exploded in the 4th quarter.

Give Giants D the credit for making Patriots look bad - though why they went away from an ok running game so soon was a mistake, allowing the D line to only play the pass.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Any game that is 7-3 for the majority is a boring one, if you ask me. The majority of the drives on either side ended up failing with no points scored. Boring.

The Giants played decently well (for them) but the truth is they aren't a particularly spectacular team. At their best, the Patriots should have been able to beat them, no problem.

They simply underperformed. I don't know if they were tired, if they didn't care enough, or if they just choked. All I know is that wasn't the Patriots we've been watching the rest of the season.

Plus there were a lot of retarded decisions on the Patriots part, like too many plays where they tried to run it when they should have relied more on their strength -- Brady's passing. Unfortunately, though, Brady's passing was a lot worse than normal yesterday. And then that play when they went for it on 4th down and they tried to throw a wicked long pass instead of going for a long field goal. There were a lot of plays when I just couldn't understand what they were thinking.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Rofl..... football. American foot ball is a bunch of guys running around fully padded up where the ball can even be thrown forward. Try playing a gentlemans sport like RUGBY. Thats a true contact sport.

Besides the classical european thoughts on the sport I´d just like to say that Im actually a 49´ers fan. Donno why. Never been to frisco either. Go figure.

Out
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""LaZy""]Rofl..... football. American foot ball is a bunch of guys running around fully padded up where the ball can even be thrown forward. Try playing a gentlemans sport like RUGBY. Thats a true contact sport.[/quote]

Interesting that you said that...you know Teddy Roosevelt (former US President) saw a Football game and thought it was too violent and forced rule changes. Here's a little clip from Wikipedia:
Violence and controversy (1905)
From its earliest days as a mob game, football was a violent sport.[5] The 1894 Harvard-Yale game, known as the "Hampden Park Blood Bath", resulted in crippling injuries for four players; the contest was suspended until 1897. The annual Army-Navy game was suspended from 1894–1898 for similar reasons.[16] One of the major problems was the popularity of mass-formations like the flying wedge, in which a large number of offensive players charged as a unit against a similarly arranged defense. The resultant collisions often led to serious injuries and sometimes even death.[17]

The situation came to a head in 1905 when there were 19 fatalities nationwide. President Theodore Roosevelt threatened to shut the game down if drastic changes were not made. One rule change introduced in 1905, devised to open up the game and reduce injury, was the introduction of the legal forward pass. Though it was underutilized for years, this proved to be the last—and one of the most important—rule changes in the establishment of the modern game.[18] On December 28, 1905, 62 schools met in New York City to discuss rule changes to make the game safer. As a result of this meeting, the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States, later named the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), was formed.[19]
@topic= I didn't watch but the half-time show (big Tom Petty fan) and about the last 3 minutes of the game. I didn't really care who won but if the pats had gone 19-0 it'd a been neat to watch the celebration and all. Anyway, I wasn't watching and then I caught shoot_bogey online and we chatted through the last 3 minutes of the game as we couldn't find a 2v2. I was rooting for the Pats, but after watching Bill and Tom walk off early and after hearing reports of how the Pats players were acting during the game I think they got what they deserved. And I'm glad for Michael Strahan. He's a class act...oh well, wake me up in August. :cry:
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
severebeating
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by severebeating »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]

Plus there were a lot of retarded decisions on the Patriots part, like too many plays where they tried to run it when they should have relied more on their strength -- Brady's passing. Unfortunately, though, Brady's passing was a lot worse than normal yesterday. And then that play when they went for it on 4th down and they tried to throw a wicked long pass instead of going for a long field goal. There were a lot of plays when I just couldn't understand what they were thinking.[/quote]

I was scratching my head when they went for it on 4th & 13 as well, when it was a makable FG. ????

BTW, Did anyone know that the Rockets-Bucks game (yes that's basketball) last week had TWICE as many fans watching then the SuperBowl???

Can you say Yao Ming???? >200MM
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

I've never played Rugby but I have watched it and all I can say is it isn't played at nearly the same speed. If it was played at the speed of American football there would be players laying all over the field with severe injuries every game. Or you'd have to start wearing pads.

I played semi-pro American football and I'll tell you this. A practice could make a tough guy go to his knees and puke his guts out and cry. After your done with cali, up & downs, the sled and windsprints and then running a half mile to cool down (loved that, it was a big break) then practice started. Then, between practices I lifted weights and rode the bike 10 miles.

You don't think we get broken ribs, broken necks and many, many concussions even with those thick helmets on? Try running at those speeds and practicing with all that gear on. My thighs and forearms were black and blue and sore constantly when I played DE. That was with 2 forearm pads and certainly my thigh pads. The thigh pads allowed me to continue on. Without them I would last a game or 2 before I wouldn't be able to walk.

We have loads of concussions, broken bones, torn ACL's, fractures, blown out knees, dislocations, sprains, compound fractures etc etc etc with loads of padding. If Rugby players played like that at those speeds you'd need 200 on each team to back up injured players and get through a season. There would also be a lot of deaths.

Try having a 6'5 330 lb offensive lineman that can run a 4.5 hit you. I also played MLB. Try having a RB that weighs 225 lbs running at full steam hit a big hole with nobody to slow him up and you have to hit him low because that's your gap. That would make you change your mind.

I was a severly under-sized MLB and TE. At 6'0 220 I was in there with some monsters. To be honest I thought MLB was a lot easier on my body than TE.

I was going to be the starting MLB but when our TE broke his ankle I became the starting TE. I hated it. Let me tell you, being the guy that has to go out into the middle constantly to catch balls where those line-backing animals live is nuts. I wanted my spot back at MLB so I could do the hitting. The only time I got my revenge was when I was run-blocking. I played both positions and there was nothing better than to hit a receiver or TE out there in the middle.

I also played special teams and saw some very nasty, full speed collisions there.

Europeans always say American football is wimpy because of pads. LOL I got a blown out bursa sack as a tight end from a fast, tightly spiraling pass that was thrown low and behind me by the practice team QB. I dropped on my side, the ball went through my hands and the tight, spiraling ball hit my knee cap with the tip and completely blew out the knee. I finished practicing and even ran wind sprints the next day in practice even tough my knee was 3 times it's normal size. It hurt and I limped but it showed the coach I was tough. Coach Banks loved me. He then wouldn't let me practice because he knew I would anyway. I got the knee drained.

Not to mention jammed and broken fingers from blocking. It's soooo common. That's nothing. Tape 'em up and play. You don't even hear about it.

Many ex professional football players are basically crippled. There's a reason why.

It's obvious you've never played organized American football or you'd never say that.

I know this was a long response but I've just heard that so many times. I don't put down rugby because it's a tough sport but it's certainly is no tougher than American football. It's just different.

Link
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Note to self - if you're in a fight, have Craz3n on your side. Done.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th