Japan Help

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

_Tak_
Conscript
Conscript

Japan Help

Post by _Tak_ »

I seem to be to slow with the japanese, especially against the original aoe3 civs. They are just to much faster and i dont know what i can do differently to speed things up. Ive been ageing up with 13-14 vill's, putting 3 on a wonder, torii gates usually, and that gives me my first barracks. That still seems to be to slow though. Ill see if i can get a decent game recorded and ill post that as well.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Japan Help

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

watch some replays from sporting_lisbon in our replay section

age up with the GP and send 5 ashi early, build a rax and spam more units
theere is no reason why you would be any slower than the euro civs, except maybe ottoman jan rush
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
_Tak_
Conscript
Conscript

Post by _Tak_ »

I think ive tried that, but ill watch again and see if it helps.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

what happened to the rest of this thread?
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

some things are better left unsaid.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
severebeating
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by severebeating »

[quote=""_Tak_""]I seem to be to slow with the japanese, especially against the original aoe3 civs. They are just to much faster and i dont know what i can do differently to speed things up. Ive been ageing up with 13-14 vill's, putting 3 on a wonder, torii gates usually, and that gives me my first barracks. That still seems to be to slow though. Ill see if i can get a decent game recorded and ill post that as well.[/quote]

Is 3 enough vils on the Torii gates??? I usually go with 4-5. Wouldn't this speed up the arrival of the first rax?
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I have heard that 4-5 vils is optimum for building a wonder. I'm not sure and I may be completely wrong, though.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I thought 4 was the optimum wonder building number to build it in a reasonable time and keep some eco going at the same time. I guess it depends on the map and what civ your against as sometimes I let it build on it's own.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Tak. 4 vilagers on tori gates will be fine. The delay is presumably therefore on how quickly you can get the 800 food and not the aging up process.

A few tweaks could save 10-20 seconds of your age up. Some suggestions:

1 Send villagers to food crates to start to ensure you get 100 food asap and then split them up. Put some then straight onto berries while orchard is being built.
2 Queue up first villager and only then look at using monks.
3 Ignore gold crates as you don't need them yet.
4 Make sure waypoint for t/c is set to orchard or berries.
5 Queue second villager ASAP.
6 Build shrine next to hunt to get max effect and leave on food.
7 If you get extra wood or wood treasure, consider a consulate and portuguese as this allows you to age up on something like 600 food! Besterios are then also a good support to ashigarus in age2.
8 Queue villagers as food obtained.
9 Make sure deck already selected so you can send first card as soon as xp earned. 3 villagers is often the best card.

Hope this helps!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""severebeating""][quote=""_Tak_""]I seem to be to slow with the japanese, especially against the original aoe3 civs. They are just to much faster and i dont know what i can do differently to speed things up. Ive been ageing up with 13-14 vill's, putting 3 on a wonder, torii gates usually, and that gives me my first barracks. That still seems to be to slow though. Ill see if i can get a decent game recorded and ill post that as well.[/quote]

Is 3 enough vils on the Torii gates??? I usually go with 4-5. Wouldn't this speed up the arrival of the first rax?[/quote]

According to Cyclo's guide, it takes 120 seconds to build a wonder with no vils in every age except going to III, where it takes 145 seconds. Then there's this to deal with:

Although most buildings can have a maximum of 8 builders, it is best to use 2 or 3 to construct any building needed fast. Maybe 4 if it is needed quickly to set up a defense, but never more than that. Using 1 villager is optimal since the rest can continue to work without wasting time walking.

Adding additional villagers to a building does decrease the build time but not significantly due to the fact that the villagers must move around and position themselves. I performed a simple test using 1 to 7 villagers to construct a barracks. The results are listed below but the values varied since it takes different amounts of time for villagers to walk to the building location and get set up. Even if they are standing very close to the foundation. If 7 villagers are perfectly lined up by creating a barracks and deleting it with the villagers in position (which will never happen), it still took 11 seconds (definitely not a linear progression). When they were lined up close but not perfectly, it took 15 seconds to move around and then build.

Vills Building Barracks Time (Sec)
1 30
2 25
3 20
4 15
5 13-16
6 12-15
7 11-15

Other than that, I read that three vils building a wonder will age you at the same rate as a European civ..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

When using Torii gates I use 5-7 vils because with that wonder you need to age up faster than Euro civs in order to get your rax to the fb location and set up at roughly the same time as other civs who already have their vils in position to build a rax. I find the time taken for the rax to travel to the fb a big factor in making Japans rush slow, however the extra XP allows you to get loads of shipments in quickly and be able to send 4 vils twice early, makes up for it.
severebeating
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by severebeating »

[quote=""_Tak_""]According to Cyclo's guide, it takes 120 seconds to build a wonder with no vils in every age except going to III, where it takes 145 seconds. Then there's this to deal with:

Vills Building Barracks Time (Sec)
1 30
2 25
3 20
4 15
5 13-16
6 12-15
7 11-15

Other than that, I read that three vils building a wonder will age you at the same rate as a European civ..[/quote]

So for each additional vil placed up to 4 you save 5 seconds. It is linear to that point. However, this is for a barrack. Presumably it is a multiple of that for a Wonder (4X? (i.e. 102 vs. 30)) given that then total build time is approximately 4X that of a barrack??? So the additioinal vils (up to 4) save 20 seconds, not 5??? If I understand this correctly, this is a significant time savings (in response to the original post of this thread).
MrChristy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MrChristy »

Put 4 vills on the Tori Gates wonder, then ship 5 ashisgarus as soon as you age.