You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Pitchfork's Top Albums of the 2000's

Post by deadhanddan »

true , you have solid points there

i built a mental wall blocking out memories of 90s pop sensations , i dont miss the nirvana'ians either

disco...yuck! glad i wasn't around for that
- Dan
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

1.Radiohead: creep was a great single, the bends a great album and ever since Ok computer they have been the number 1 band in the World for critics and fans, making much more relevant and exciting music than any other big name. Eat your heart out U2 and coldplay.
2.Arcade fire: a great band that absolutely has made some of the best and most relevant music in the 2000s
3.Daft punk: great entertainment and pop songs, great live act as well.
4. Wilco: they should be in top 10 for the nineties as well. The true heirs to real Americana music a la neil young and johny cash
5. Jay Z: not my thing
6. modest mouse: unknown here in Europe
7. The strokes: they made only one decent record but every time I play it, I wanna be a young spoiled arty farty new york kid
8. Sigur Ros: weirder but better than radiohead. Maybe a bit to much for your general music lover. Watch their movie. It made me cry.
9. panda bear: I like them but in the top 10?
10. avalanches: good band
11. Ghostface: pretty good
12. White stripes: when talking about music in the 200s jack white must be the most productive guy around,. He’s the Russians of the pitchfork top 2000. And there’s a lot of quality in his music, a lot of history, he’s a sensation live and meg white is great to.
13. outkast: best American pop band?
15 and rest I like spoon, Interpol, broken social scene, yeah yeah yeahs, fleet foxes, phoenix, fugazi (one of the only true nineties band to reappear?), yo la tengo (another nineties favourite), trail of death – can’t describe how good they were when they just started, they faded to quickly, 2many dj’s – a Belgian band!!! -, … For me, bands like queens of the stone age, killers, kings of leon should be higher, while old ******* as greg dulli, mark lanegan, nick cave kept on putting out great stuff, but went rather unnoticed.

This overview reminded me of why I like the nineties more: so much unknown bands in this top 200, so much music, so much styles, it’s just impossible to keep track of everything.
A lot of bands just seem to make 1 superb album, maybe a second good one and then gently fade away. The average lifespan of a band seems to have been reduced.

Ive been going to indie gigs and festivals a lot for the last 15 years,and it used to be something like you saw a band slowly working it's way up, puttin out at least 2 or 3 good records before they got to be a mainstage act. You needed to be proven quality.
Now at werchter festival, they had lady gaga headlining the second stage. Last year it was mgmt.

I think in 20 years time, the nineties will be remembered a lot more for the music than 2000s, just as the sixties were a great time with the beatles, rolling stones, Dylan, Hendrix, beach boys, early led zeppelin and bowie all doing their thing. The seventies-eighties had their moments to, but not as defining.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

and the foo fighters: nive band with average albums but always a few really good singles and a dave grohl hurricane live show
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

luukje, if you don't know modest mouse but like those others bands go ahead and download EVERYTHING they've ever made.

you will like it a lot, they are very good
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

I'm not a huge fan of recent Modest Mouse. I love The Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon and Antartica though
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Pixies last nite:
It was fun, but not as great was hen I was fifteen. They played a lot of good and superb songs. They could have played a lot more great songs.
To many fat, bald, ugly losers acting like they are 15 again and crushin everybody. Get a life.
Kim Deal was drunk. Or she has lost to much brain cell drinkin.
Black Francis is still fat.
Joey Santiago was the best.
I will be singing There goes my Gun all day long. Don't ask why.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""etrips888""]I'm not a huge fan of recent Modest Mouse. I love The Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon and Antartica though[/quote]

The newer stuff is great - I like it a lot - but it's true it doesn't compare to their older stuff. M+A and LCW are fantastic albums.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey