Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Nav vs. Drew, Death or Glory round 1

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Nav(Harley14) vs. 36Drew
India vs. British
Map: Silk Road
Winner: Nav(Harley14)

I honestly have to say, I don't think I've ever had a game with Drew that turned out anything less than amazing. I opted for my mahout-gurkha semi-FF while he goes for his good old hordes of musket/hussar/lbows backed up with a 480,000 vil economy. I lost the few first skirmishes, but then with the help of my trusty mahouts and gurkhas put him on the defense. It was a bit of a stalemate for a while, but I charged his FB once and for all and took him down. Very GG as usual, Drew!

Interesting facts:
Drew had DOUBLE my vils pretty much my entire game.
Drew spent 40,000 resources on guys, I could only afford 25,000.
My k/d ratio was 80 deaths, 350 kills.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groovy.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Nav vs. Drew, Death or Glory round 1

Post by 36drew »

Very good game simply put. Very fun to play too.
BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by BashUgood »

Sounds like a GG, I'm goin to give it a watch..

drew hopefully we'll have the next Tourney soon after this, and you'll get to play it out longer..
Though I'm sure you'll win your way to the top of the current loser bracket.

Glad to hear you kept it enjoyable...
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""BashUgood""]Sounds like a GG, I'm goin to give it a watch..

drew hopefully we'll have the next Tourney soon after this, and you'll get to play it out longer..
Though I'm sure you'll win your way to the top of the current loser bracket.

Glad to hear you kept it enjoyable...[/quote]

While there is a good chance of this, never count anyone out. There are enough capts/1sts/ and 1 major that could make the loosing braket tough game. Kingkara owned me earlier today and I was playing my best. Anything is possible. :) GL to all regardless.
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

GG guys. Another very good watch.

Nice job getting your game in so quickly!
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

will watch!

interesting civ picks though, saving the best civs for who ?
;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, that's what I was thinking, Chaos. They'll probably face each other again in the finals anyway. :P

This game was kind of a disappointing watch, I must say. I kept wondering as I watched how much stronger of a showing Drew could have had if he had used all of the resources that he had. There were a few points during the game where his food topped 2000 and he didn't do much with it for a while. Even towards the end of the game as he was losing Drew had almost 99 villagers and tons of resources to spend. I kept wondering what would have happened if he had made like 4-5 barracks earlier and just spammed lonbows and pikes or just straight up musketeers and maybe some hussars at Nav.

This game was really a good showcase of the problem I usually have with Britain as a civ -- amazing economy, tons of villagers, tons of resources, but no really strong units to spend those resources on. Drew was really hurting for some strong go-to units to get the job done, especially against those Mahouts. Longbows and pikes just don't really cut it.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Uh... muskets? Muskets murder everything when they have the right cards (Drew didn't have musket attack or hp). They're also royal guard, and India has no counter infantry rifling.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Mass musk and arty do well against India, nav will agree as we found out in a 3v3 a while back.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

lb's + goons (with 3 combat cards) works really well too imho
but musks is the most obvious option
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Sorry, I don't recall, Strokey. All those miserable team losses tend to blend together after a while! :D muskets and lbows work very well vs. India, anyway. Just pile on those cards and upgrades and you're set to go.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Sorry, I don't recall, Strokey. All those miserable team losses tend to blend together after a while! :D muskets and lbows work very well vs. India, anyway. Just pile on those cards and upgrades and you're set to go.[/quote]

If I remember right, I was industrial and you quit saying "nothing I can do against mass musk/cannon and rockets"..... ;)
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Muskets are nice as an all around unit -- but still, especially if your opponent has a large amount of anti-HI units, they aren't super effective at killing any one time of unit. They're just decent.

My point is simply that if the British had access to some stronger units like REAL skirmishers or halbs or something like that, they could use their resources to build an army that was a lot stronger. As is they have to spend their resources on pretty decent musketeers or longbows which are good but still not as effective or pikes which, well, pikes.

Then there are Dragoons which are good but definitely can't do damage fast enough against Mahouts in particular.

Anyway, even spamming Muskets as you said may have been somewhat effective but Drew didn't even do that, and he had tons and tons of food to do it for most of the game.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I saw that Nav doesnt use a different waypoint for military... and I've rarely seen anyone using that tbh (even experts)

any reason why not?
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Probably just cause it doesn't make much of a difference.
Groovy.