The purity of Vanilla!

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The purity of Vanilla!

Post by ruminator »

Hi! Not been on much, still having to work for my wages rather than just turning up, but do still try to get a game in now and then ...

I was struggling on TAD as I couldn't run FP and was getting bored of Jap lamers at my level and China's inability against decent cav. I decided to boot up Vanilla for a laugh and have been enjoying it. It's amazing how there don't appear to be too many "no win" match ups here, at least at Mstr Sarge level anyway.

Cav is not as OP and doesn'y mow down skirms and strelets as quick, but otherwise it seems well balanced.

PS work have blocked the forum as "Games" so I can't access there anymore. What is the world coming to!!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: The purity of Vanilla!

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Vanilla is really fun. I have written about it in the past. There is a simple beauty to only having 20 cards without all the bells, whistles, firepits, warchief auras, shrines, Agra forts and bigbutton nonsense. In vanilla, life is the way it used to be--Euros flat-out battling it for land and glory.

And yes, cav aren't as strong over there! God forbid, when 35 xbow bolts fly at them, the horse actually goes down. Plus my uhlans are slower (6.50) and don't get as many OP boosts from cards.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I always had more fun playing Vanilla than either of the Xpacks. I feel like if I start playing again, it will be Vanilla. I like some of the features of the xpacks, but there was so much less to master in Vanilla. I think the xpacks are where my game went downhill. (Even if that "hill" wasn't very high to start with.)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Vanilla is really fun. I have written about it in the past. There is a simple beauty to only having 20 cards without all the bells, whistles, firepits, warchief auras, shrines, Agra forts and bigbutton nonsense. In vanilla, life is the way it used to be--Euros flat-out battling it for land and glory.

And yes, cav aren't as strong over there! God forbid, when 35 xbow bolts fly at them, the horse actually goes down. Plus my uhlans are slower (6.50) and don't get as many OP boosts from cards.[/quote] do germans have the age 4 *spanish riding school* available in nilla?
- Dan
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""deadhanddan""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Vanilla is really fun. I have written about it in the past. There is a simple beauty to only having 20 cards without all the bells, whistles, firepits, warchief auras, shrines, Agra forts and bigbutton nonsense. In vanilla, life is the way it used to be--Euros flat-out battling it for land and glory.

And yes, cav aren't as strong over there! God forbid, when 35 xbow bolts fly at them, the horse actually goes down. Plus my uhlans are slower (6.50) and don't get as many OP boosts from cards.[/quote] do germans have the age 4 *spanish riding school* available in nilla?[/quote]

I think so, but I will double check. Most German cards are original. TWC only added a couple, like the Palatine Settlements. Guild Artisans, Lippazzaner Cavalry and a lot of other favorites are all in vanilla. I don't think Solingen Steel is, though.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

just transform cards and the natives mercs infinite cards for germans. And tad merc cards like the merc lancers etc... horse cannons are missing in vanilla
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

Vanilla is great..(I also enjoy chocolate and strawberry) but that another story!!!!

Im at serg level and i dont think ill get to Master...i have played 0ver 750 games and im still serg.

I feel so...used!
aka~Rubber_Chuck
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Dang all this nilla stuff makes me want to play it but my nilla cd is lost in my bedroom :cry: Ohh well I'll probably find it when I start to clean it out before i go to college

Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

[quote=""GeneralMichael""]Dang all this nilla stuff makes me want to play it but my nilla cd is lost in my bedroom :cry: Ohh well I'll probably find it when I start to clean it out before i go to college[/quote]

Yea...TAD has always left me a little ...cold.... i always did prefer Vanilla!
aka~Rubber_Chuck