Down with China Lamers... :-P

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/blogs/bs ... patch.aspx
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Bruce's Blog ~ TAD Patch News

Post by KingKaramazov »

I'm fearing an over-nerf on this one.

We'll see what happens. My prediction is that Sioux and Dutch will still be the strongest civs after China is dealt with.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]I'm fearing an over-nerf on this one.

We'll see what happens. My prediction is that Sioux and Dutch will still be the strongest civs after China is dealt with.[/quote]

I think that too

but I rather have one UP civ than 1 OP lamer civ 8)

thx for posting the link Bash!

edit: Oh yeah, and after this patch, they promiss faster patching (again) :twisted:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

The way I see it, the only way that reducing the number of OP civs is good is if they nerf ALL of the OP civs until they are not OP. Since that isn't likely to happen, I don't think overnerfing China is a good thing.

Right now at least there are 3-4 civs which are strong enough to compete with pretty much any other civ. Nerfing China without significantly nerfing the other 2 or 3 OP civs just means that there will be even fewer civs competing at the highest level, which is pretty much the opposite of the aim of balancing in my opinion.

I'd rather they boost other civs somehow so that there are suddenly 5 or 6 civs which can compete against every other civ and be competitive. Now, obviously I'm not saying China shouldn't be nerfed at all. But I'd like China to remain very strong - I'd just like to see the super lame parts nerfed (OP team cards, disciple FF).

I think a lot of people would be happy if China got overnerfed because they are so sick of losing to China players. Revenge balancing is never a good thing, though. The German civ is a perfect example of that.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Once they patch it for Supremacy games, you know it's going to throw off the balance in Treaty games, and all the Treaty players will start complaining.

I do hope they are able to release balance patches faster (not that it affects someone that plays as infrequently as me, but it seems with the number of people that complain, it would really help community relations). The last patch, when they were supposed to patch the Aztec Warchief to give 3x XP, and it stayed at 2x was a big goof. No reason they couldn't have re-patched immediately. It's not like a big process to patch the game. They SHOULD have done that right then and there.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

btw, the "end of winter" is mid-March, so it's not like it's going to be REAL soon. 2 more months, at least.
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

I agree with the revenge nerfing being a bad thing but look at Iroquois, they are still competitive without being OP. I think they did a good job, not like I would have done it, but good enough.

Reducing the number of Disciples available (5 and 10 with wonder), their damage by 2 or 3 (accompanied by a higher multiplier to guardians), completely getting rid of everything random vs an opponent (random disciple damage and spawning is only ok vs. guardians), and slightly reducing the TEAM shipments (only slightly) will be enough nerfing to China to make them beatable on the equal skill level but still competitive.

Dutch just need less HP on their banks and less XP when created. Possibly make banks cost population space (say 2) to limit the huge numbers of cannons available late game and force some extra wood chopping early game.

Spanish can have their 2 falconet shipment replaced with something else. Possibly a artillery damage card.

I'm not sure how to nerf the Sioux. Removing a villager or food crate makes them to slow. Possibly an increase to wakina rifle cost?

Those are a few of my ideas for minor nerfs. As far as boosts go to the weaker civs, that is something that needs care as well. India could easily become the next top civ if their early game is significantly speed up (that is what happened to both Sioux and Dutch).
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

sioux : some siege dance nerf imho and a little coin cost increase for wakinas and the warchief "Siouxmacher" is too damn fast
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

I would like to see ports boosted, maybe there start, or casadoors?

China, some sort of stop to the disciples lol, either cost increased or amount aloud reduced. also get rid of tht darned critical sign its soo annoying!!

Dutch, maybe some sort of bank nerf, like less xp, because u can send 700w on age up make 2/3 banks then ship bank wagon instantly

Sioux, not sure what to do with them lol dont play em enough

French, imo cuirs need some sort of nerf, not a big one, juts a slight one, they just seem too strong FU.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

My point is simply that the goal of balancing should be to make as many civs as possible strong enough to have an appreciable chance in every matchup.

That, to me, is the definition of a competitive civ -- one that can reasonably be expected, given nearly equal player skill, to win in any possible matchup. Right now the only civs that fall into that category are probably China, Dutch, Spain, and Sioux (though that list may be somewhat debatable, the list is certainly not more than 4 civs long).

I'd like to see the next patch cause 5 or 6 civs to be competitive in that way, not fewer. I don't care what changes are made with the patch as long as that is the case.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Rofl @ end of winter. That's probably supposed to mean it is earlier than spring, but we all know how ES patching system works.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Lisbon, what country's flag is that in your signature (not the Japanese one)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Portugal

And Lisbon is the capital of Portugal ;)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Cyclohexane""]Spanish can have their 2 falconet shipment replaced with something else. Possibly a artillery damage card.
[/quote]

I would argue to the death that this would obliterate spain. An artillery damage card would be useless IMO. How many civs actually play them and have them worth while? Lets face it -- most 1v1 games don't see more than a 2 cannon shipment or maybe 2-5 spammed from a foundation (exceptions like a dutch mirror of course). The 2 cannon shipment isn't the problem, the problem is that people don't know how to deal with it. People need to remember to use the stagger formation for example. Suddenly a group of skrimirsher and a hussars takes those cannons out with no probelm whatsoever.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

[quote=""Comadevil""]Portugal

And Lisbon is the capital of Portugal ;)[/quote]
And Sporting Lisbon is a football/soccer team from portugal ;)
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!