Aoe3 nostalgia

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Aoe3 nostalgia

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

This game is so old that we can already get nostalgia from it. Reading a topic at agesanc someone there said that the game wasn't even close to being designed for online gaming. And it's a big truth right there.

Does anyone want to share some good memories of vanilla 1.03? (first three patches were focused on online issues)

I'll start:

Skirmishers used to have 5 speed! That was fun. Losing 20 musks to 5 skirmishers.

Jans used to have 24! ranged attack and 18!! melee attack, Abus used to have 22 range and 40% ranged resistance.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Aoe3 nostalgia

Post by joe4holly »

2005-early2006 playing 4v4 vs the pc on mod and hard fun times 40vlls on food and 40 on gold.
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

the old french vill rush lol or even the british gettinng skirms from church sweet...(ppl never used to expect skirms from the brits back in the day)
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

man reading some of the stuff u posted makes me realize I really did miss a lot of stuff in the early AOE3 days. I honestly can't remember any of those types of things. Probably the earliest issue I can remember is the uhlan bug where uhlans from shipments would count in ur population even after they were dead
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

I came late, just before TAD was released but i remember my first online games. I won like 15 in a row and jumped to master sarge in the first week of haveing the game. I still remember the guy who taught me the basics in one or two unrateds but he doesnt even play anymore. BTW i dnot get nostalgic im only 18, some of you old folks on the other hand........
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

I remember the blackwatch+2 falc british FF lol, way long ago. I hardly remember online since it was about 3.5 years ago but I do remember that strat, along with the 15 jan early rush by ottos.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

I remember the age of mercs. And Jannies were so strong nobody noticed how OP abus guns were.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I didn't start playing until the end of the TWC era, but I do remember the mean Iroquois FP FF. That was whacked...
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

I remember the old unit characters
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

I remember when we would look at peoples win% inorder 2 get an idea of players skills. Wow he has 66%, that means he wins 2 out of every 3 games....im not playing him, he must b better than me. I need 2 keep my 55% :P

I remember when having a German civ on ur team was pretty much GG right there.

I remember playing my very 1st game on ESO and thinking 2 myself how much better/cooler/ exciting tha Zone was.

I remember when strategies were still being elaborated and experimented. Once the Jan rush discoevered and tweaked properly every1 was doing it. It was almost like a must do. Every1 had 2 try the popular strats as they were coming out.

What fun.

out
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I remember when I played my first game on ESO. Firstly I was like 'Dude how come I'm not in Imperial age?!?', because I used to play with the comps a lot on Post-Imperial... :D

I was playing Brits and he was playing French on Orinoco. I just walled up and had about 18 settlers and 9 longbows at 10:00 lmao. The good old days.

Before I joined N3O I was a Lance Corporal hehe, goes to show how much this clan changes people, with regards to both skill and maturity. ;)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i remember when i thought that muskets were a counter to bows ( what!?!?!? a rifle and lead ball doesn't kill a man shooting a wooden spring loaded arrow??? hahaha )
- Dan
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

oh they joy of having 33 strelets out before any other corporal was so much fun, got called a cheater a few times

my first rated games was a NR30, which sounded like a cool idea at first. After 30 minutes, i had maybe 20 veteran musketeers and a few longbows only to get anihilated by imperial cannons etc... thats where my NR career ended lol
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]i had maybe 20 veteran musketeers and a few longbows only to get anihilated by imperial cannons[/quote]

Lmao!
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

a yes, the pure joy of knowing nothing. I often played an otto turtle in those days and it was such a surprise I actually won a lot of games with it,lol

Yep going on win % and no realising that high wins are pretty beatable noob bashers.

The joy of going from corporal to sergeant.

and then master sergeant!

what an achievement