Things I wish the game did...

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Things I wish the game did...

Post by Macavity »

---I can't help but sit around and dream about small little tweaks or additions that would make this game that much better. Some small, some not so small but all I think would improve the gameplay.
===========
1: I wish that you could garrison archers or musketeers in forts/towers to provide extra firepower.
2: I wish there was an option on forts/towers to buy burning pitch (50 wood/50 gold?) that would dump around the fort/tower causing splatter damage on all troops below.
3: I wish you couldn't take down stone buildings with pikes, swords and muskets. Stone should only be brought down by artillery/explosives (grenadiers/petards)
4: I wish you couldn't line up on the other side of a wall and shoot troops on the near side. The wall should shield the troops (archers not included).
5: I wish buildings when damaged but not destroyed would catch fire and slowly decay until destroyed if not repaired.
6: In association with #5 I wish there was a 4th resource to gather, water. Water would be used to put out fires in buildings, to raise crops, and to support cavalry animals.
7: I wish shipments didn't just appear. Instead they should come in on a wagon (or ship) to the designated drop off point. This gives the enemy the opportunity to capture or destroy your shipments.
8: How about a HC shipment that was ordering the navy of your home city to intercept the next shipment being sent to your enemy and send it to you instead. A bit radical, but it would make the enemy player very cautious about what shipments he was sending first in fear that it might be stolen.
9: I wish villagers died easier. Seems like they are more resistant to attacks than some of my troops.
======================
---I'm sure I can think of some others, but interested in what you all think in the meantime. Feel free to add to the list, love to hear your ideas as well.
Last edited by Macavity on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Things I wish the game did...

Post by BashUgood »

Sounds Interesting....

I miss being able to garrison military like back in AoK... Actually the units would slowly heal while garrisoned.. If I remember correctly I think only Cav and Seige couldn't garrison..
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I wish that mercenaries were the only military unit shipments.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Some of us can't handle the level of hte micro in the game already. What you propose is insanity in my mind. A FOURTH resource to gather?
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

Use to be 4 resources in AoK and AoC. Stone was the 4th...
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

well, i never played those. :P
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""RascalJones""]Some of us can't handle the level of hte micro in the game already. What you propose is insanity in my mind. A FOURTH resource to gather?[/quote]

I am glad that I didn't play AoK - I coudn't handle 4 resource management. I am still struggling with 3 resource management (I often seems to pile up the food while being low on wood and gold 8O ). I am used to 2 resources in starcraft (I hope that in Starcraft2 there are only two resources as well - minerals and gas). Managing 4 resources will drive me insane.

So please NO, NO to 4th resource, please! :evil:
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

[quote=""Roger_The_Rogue""][quote=""RascalJones""]Some of us can't handle the level of hte micro in the game already. What you propose is insanity in my mind. A FOURTH resource to gather?[/quote]

I am glad that I didn't play AoK - I coudn't handle 4 resource management. I am still struggling with 3 resource management (I often seems to pile up the food while being low on wood and gold 8O ). I am used to 2 resources in starcraft (I hope that in Starcraft2 there are only two resources as well - minerals and gas). Managing 4 resources will drive me insane.

So please NO, NO to 4th resource, please! :evil:[/quote]

AOK = best game ever. 4 resoucs were perfect it wasn't too difficult.

Most of the ideas you have presented seem to be implemented in Cossacks ;)
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

AOC was awsome, and not hard to handle lol...after a while stone ran out anyway so it doesn't matter!!

i would like to see the biuld limit removed!
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

I wish there was an elevation bonus like in AOC. For those of you that don't know what that is, if military units are on higher ground they get a slight bonus vs military at a lower elevation. Cliffs and hills become very important ground.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

They did? Didn't know about that. In this game cliffs should just be removed altogether, they only bring lag and path issues.
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

Think about the options with having to collect water though. Map control would be more inportant than it is now. It would be a nice touch to be able to sink a well in Fortress though to better protect your water source.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]They did? Didn't know about that. In this game cliffs should just be removed altogether, they only bring lag and path issues.[/quote]

I disagree completely. Think of starcraft where cliffs and ramps are done properly. They make the game completely different. I wish that they were in, but pathfinding was better and hot air baloons could be used to garisson and transport units through the air (much like a dropship in starcraft).

While I agree 3 resources is pretty intensive when balancing management, 2 might be a little low for an AOE style game. Some pretty interesting ideas in this thread though.
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

[quote=""36drew""]Hot air baloons could be used to garisson and transport units through the air (much like a dropship in starcraft).[/quote]

Imagine the elephants in the balloons. Then the balloons will not take off. LOL
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Put some falconets or mortars in a balloon and you're set!
Groovy.