Spawn points for ships

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Spawn points for ships

Post by Macavity »

---The little flag in the water... how do you move it? I know there is a way, but I forgot how.
Shizle

Re: Spawn points for ships

Post by Shizle »

If I recall correctly, select the dock and then right click on a patch of water. But the water has to be "open"...not dark.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yes, you can only move it to an area you have explored (I think). Or must you have LOS of where you want to place it?
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I think you are refering to the buoy where shipment from the HC or aging arrives for naval units. That drop off cannot be changed. You can change the spawn from dock like shizle states.

This can mess up your strategy (and at the same time be to your advantage) if your drop point is near your enemy's dock or HC. It stinks in comp stomps b/c the ai usually has a large amount of navy build and you cannot fish with your caravel.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]Yes, you can only move it to an area you have explored (I think). Or must you have LOS of where you want to place it?[/quote]

The spawn point for the dock can be on "dark" water for exploration, but then it would mess up your micro and your boat would spawn to a place where there's nothing happening. Best to set it to fish or whales for fishing boats. Exploration might be good for warships.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I was reffering to the buoy.
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

How do you move the buoy?
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]I think you are refering to the buoy where shipment from the HC or aging arrives for naval units. That drop off cannot be changed. [/quote]

Um. Yeah it can LOL. Click on the bouy and the right click where you would like it. Easy as warm apple pie.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""36drew""][quote=""Soccerman771""]I think you are refering to the buoy where shipment from the HC or aging arrives for naval units. That drop off cannot be changed. [/quote]

Um. Yeah it can LOL. Click on the bouy and the right click where you would like it. Easy as warm apple pie.[/quote]

yes, but you need explored water, cant drop it off in the dark
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

For some reason, I don't see this feature used in a creative way much anymore. I remember back in Vanilla when folks like Ourk and NP would ship a boat to some small lake instead of the sea. I vaguely remember a game on New England when someone shipped a frigate to the small lake and used it to transport military back and forth, and I think to destroy the enemy's TP(s) close to the lake. Oh, he'd transport falcs to the opposite side, keep them close to the frigate, smash some things, then pop them back into the boat when threatened. I loved seeing that kind of creative play.

But, if you want to keep someone from building a dock, send your explorer up to their coast to open it up, then when you hit age II, move your bouy there and ship your caravels right to his doorstep.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

it's still used often for Tlaloc pwnage ;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Shizle""]For some reason, I don't see this feature used in a creative way much anymore. I remember back in Vanilla when folks like Ourk and NP would ship a boat to some small lake instead of the sea. I vaguely remember a game on New England when someone shipped a frigate to the small lake and used it to transport military back and forth, and I think to destroy the enemy's TP(s) close to the lake. Oh, he'd transport falcs to the opposite side, keep them close to the frigate, smash some things, then pop them back into the boat when threatened. I loved seeing that kind of creative play.

But, if you want to keep someone from building a dock, send your explorer up to their coast to open it up, then when you hit age II, move your bouy there and ship your caravels right to his doorstep.[/quote]

That sounds nuts! What i'd give to see that!
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Guys as most of you know, If theres water on the map with tasty fish and yummy whales, Lazy_Tuga will hop right in. Patagonia and other maps which have two decent setts of water ( ie on the left and on the right side of the map) makes CHANGING the bouy very important. You can, not only change the location of the bouy on the same "sea front" but also change the bouy from the left sea fron to the right sea front. For example. Your currently fishing on the right side whilst you r enemy is doing the same thing on the opposite side. Now u wish to send war ships to spawn on his side, simply left click the bouy and then right click on EXPLORED water to place the bouy´s new location.

Simple and effective.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Looks like nobody posted how to move it. I don't think just right-clicking somewhere works. Look in the little menu area on the bottom-right where the stances (melee, stand ground, etc.) are. There should be a little button to move buoy or something like that. Just click on a patch of water where you have LOS.

Also, something I found out a really long time ago (2+ years) is that you can scout with the buoy, although very ineffectively and painstakingly. Keep moving the buoy a tiny bit and it has like 1 LOS to allow you to move it again. If you keep this up, you can scout a good portion of the water and see the shore.
Groovy.
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

Some guy named Cyclohexane has this great guide, and in 2nd to last tab, it says:

"The starting water drop-off point can be changed to by left clicking the water drop off point, click change, and select new location in any area already explorer (not in areas covered by the fog of war). However, do not set the way point to close to the shore or large boat shipments will be wasted (i.e. 2 Tlaloc Canoes instead of 4)."

Btw, this tab is called Random Notes and contains all sorts of useful comments. Here's a sample of things I didn't know:

-Bombarding an area (with Warship) where your explorer or WC has died will revive him.

-When attacking a building, do not directly right click on the building. Instead, move all the units close to the building and then attack. This will decrease the amount of time the units spend walking in circles to setup to attack. Instead they attack from the position they are standing in.

PS...I know Cyclohexane is an N30 clan member..