The Portuguese Colonial Bust- a Fanpatch 1.1 Strategy!

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Re: The Portuguese Colonial Bust- a Fanpatch 1.1 Strategy!

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""Tubruk""]I was able to beat a dutch major using this. It can be dangerous if they anticipate the rush and build defensively but luckily in my case he put his stable upfront so he didnt have any heavy infantry counter for quite some time.[/quote]

Unfortunately my experience with dutch has been a barracks behind the tc with defensive skirms, and then either go to fort to own me or add in huss to raid me to death.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Dutch are a hard ass civ, because Skirms do own, and it's hard to tell what they'll do, because even when they appear to be in their TC they get res from Banks.
To be honest I'm not sure, if you age fast and go cav first they generally wont anticipate this, either that or I'd do a naked FF with my TC forwarded so they hopefully expect a colonial attack, and any troops they make will be crushed by my fort army.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

How about good old xbow/pike against the Dutch, and pressure them relentlessly from the outset? Kill military buildings, etc... Always worked for me with the Germans... not sure how well the Ports can spam archaic inf, but based on a few clanners, it looks like a winner from an econ point of view.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
amigrunt

Post by amigrunt »

Cool, I may give the Ports a go. I just never really viewed them as a serious contender.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Their arent really a serious contender if your not playing on the FP Tbh, But if you are. go for it =)
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]How about good old xbow/pike against the Dutch, and pressure them relentlessly from the outset? Kill military buildings, etc... Always worked for me with the Germans... not sure how well the Ports can spam archaic inf, but based on a few clanners, it looks like a winner from an econ point of view.[/quote]

You know, this doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I remember watching a VOD of parfait doing something similiar to a dutchie with his germans by keeping him contained in his base and harassing his gold mines constantly. The dynamics of the game have changed of course and the ports would take a slightly different approach but still, the concept is solid. Might have a go at that. :)
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""deaconferal""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]How about good old xbow/pike against the Dutch, and pressure them relentlessly from the outset? Kill military buildings, etc... Always worked for me with the Germans... not sure how well the Ports can spam archaic inf, but based on a few clanners, it looks like a winner from an econ point of view.[/quote]

You know, this doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I remember watching a VOD of parfait doing something similiar to a dutchie with his germans by keeping him contained in his base and harassing his gold mines constantly. The dynamics of the game have changed of course and the ports would take a slightly different approach but still, the concept is solid. Might have a go at that. :)[/quote]
That's an excellent point Deacon, in fact - ports are, at present stronger early game doing that strat that Germans in some respects, they're faster and you can use your shipments after the Xbow one for things like Food or Coin, whilst Parfait sent for 3 SW if I recall. I'll have to adopt this.
However, if they FF you have a serious problem, and generally a dutch player will FF if they don't think they'll be rushed.
Whilst vs a German player, it's much more likely.
If a Dutch hits fort and you haven't seriously crippled his economy, it can spell disaster fast.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""deaconferal""]
You know, this doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I remember watching a VOD of parfait doing something similiar to a dutchie with his germans by keeping him contained in his base and harassing his gold mines constantly. The dynamics of the game have changed of course and the ports would take a slightly different approach but still, the concept is solid. Might have a go at that. :)[/quote]

this one was it
Xbow Contain

i think he keeps drag boxing his explorer to keep the intense clicking speed he is at