Funny Screenshots

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Funny Screenshots

Post by joe4holly »

funny how dan was thinking up ways how to pi$$ off lazy on vent then i said about the beer ban.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

not pi$$ lazy off - but to engage in a friendly+spirited debate , BIG difference , such as the many discussions i have with aaryn from time to time
- Dan
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

Americans wouldn't find a "prohibition" on alcohol to be unbelievable because they have already experienced it once. So I don't really find what is funny about that post; especially after constantly hearing of people's lack of self control with alcohol. I assume Joe's "joke" was that alcohol is such an integral part of the Euro lifestyle that no one would think to give it up.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

you got to be euro to find it funny lol...
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Everyone loves alcohol because it lets you escape yourself for a while. On one level or another, this means that everyone doesn't like some aspect of their life, since it's always nice to suspend life with booze sometimes.

Europeans are more honest about their dependence on alcohol. Americans love it just as much; they just say they don't in public, in church and on TV commercials. Do you really think Budweiser wants you to "drink responsibly?" It's pure hypocrisy.

Here's what I mean about European "honesty in alcohol:" In New York, there is a sign in the subway: "No alcoholic beverages." In Berlin, you get on a subway train on a Friday night and everyone has a beer bottle in hand. Everyone has a good time. No one gets hurt. Life goes on. In fact, there are far fewer social problems in Berlin; maybe free drinking helps?

So why be restrictive about it? Don't forget, early Americans thought themselves "God's folk" who came across the Atlantic to form a "city on a hill." That spirit banned alcohol in 1919 and Americans still have a tortured relationship to it. In my view, it's pure hypocrisy. If the government really wanted to discourage drinking, it would not allow every beer, wine and vodka peddler to publish blaring advertisements all over town inciting people to go buy liquor and get drunk. It's like speaking out of both sides of your mouth; it can't be done without appearing ridiculous. Yet there is a clash of values going on here: The old Puritan preaching about "the devil's drink" and the American commercial impulse to "market and sell anything and everything--effectively." That is why Americans are schizophrenic when it comes to drinking. Their entrenched morals are at war with their desire to make money and have a little fun before dying.

Fun without guilt... that's the rub.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

I take my alcohol in pill form, 2000 mg a day, for alcohol withdrawal siezures.

Alcohol clobbers the action of GABA receptors in the brain, slowing it down. The brain then makes more to compensate. If your brain makes enough overtime, for example you drink alot on the weekends then none during the week (called neurochemical kindling) your brains threshold for siezures and motor tremors is reduced or reached upon ceasing drinking when the clobbered receptors go back online with their new friends, sending the brain into overdrive.

My last drink was 2 October 2006. Last siezure was 9 October 2006 (knocks on my own wooden head).
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

In Portugal Alcohol gets so much suport that the Nº1 beer brand, Sagres, gets 2 b the Nº1 sponser of the National Footie Team.

I think that the more alcohol is "regulated" the more it backfires. I was brought up 2 drink a glass of wine at weekend meals since the age of 14-15 (in front of my parents). Any 15 year old will easily get alcohol from any supermarket in Portugal. In countries like Enlgand, where "control" is turbocharged, binge drinking has become a social disease. I think that countries like the US forbiding people 2 drink until they have become 21 is simply outrageous. How much more responsable does 1 need 2 b: marrying @ 16, driving a car @ 15 or drinking a couple of beers @ 21????? In a society where some liberal attitudes are not only accepted but actually encouraged, like me being able 2 drink with my parents, will make my 1st alcoholic experiences much more "supervised" than me getting hammered with my Uni friends at 18 or 21. At the end of the day, however, its a thin, grey line here, too much liberty and it works against u. The opposite is also true; too much regulation and it backfires. Like most things in life its the half way point thats necessary in order 2 find balance.

out

PS the most insane law that I was confronted with was in Ontario, Canada. There, two years ago, it was illegal 2 drink alcoholic bevergaes in the privacy of ur own garden! I guess if the birds and the bees saw some1 getting drunk in the garden they´d stop singing and producing honey and become hazardous flying binge monsters. I say let the bees have a couple of Gin n´Tonics. I say give ur sparrows some Vodka Lemons. Equal rights for all! Nothing would b cooler than 2 c my mums chameleon go purple and blue while french kissing the plastic ducks. muahahahhaha
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Not every country has the law where you must be 21 to drink. Also, that is a slightly wrong application of US law. In most states you must be 21 to purchase alcohol, not consume. If parents want to give 14-15 year olds a glass of wine, then as long as it is not delinquency, then it is fine. Now just define delinquency....
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Not every country has the law where you must be 21 to drink. Also, that is a slightly wrong application of US law. In most states you must be 21 to purchase alcohol, not consume. If parents want to give 14-15 year olds a glass of wine, then as long as it is not delinquency, then it is fine. Now just define delinquency....[/quote]

In europe it's the same, the law speaks only about purchase, i like 90% of the other belgians had it's first glass of alcohol on the age of 12. buying is on 16.
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Americans love it just as much; they just say they don't in public, in church and on TV commercials.

Americans thought themselves "God's folk" who came across the Atlantic to form a "city on a hill." That spirit banned alcohol in 1919

Fun without guilt... that's the rub.[/quote]

Not sure how this subject started involving the Christian religion, but while we are here...

The Bible doesn't define alcohol as an "evil" drink or prohibit people from drinking it. Instead, it deals more with self control or the lack thereof. Just as there isn't a problem with money in itself, the problem is the love of money and the resulting mess from people who can't control their greed.

Jesus turned water into wine; he wanted people to drink and have fun. The only time people should feel guilty is when they get wasted enough to lose self control and harm others.

-Vint
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""KingVint""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Americans love it just as much; they just say they don't in public, in church and on TV commercials.

Americans thought themselves "God's folk" who came across the Atlantic to form a "city on a hill." That spirit banned alcohol in 1919

Fun without guilt... that's the rub.[/quote]

Not sure how this subject started involving the Christian religion, but while we are here...

The Bible doesn't define alcohol as an "evil" drink or prohibit people from drinking it. Instead, it deals more with self control or the lack thereof. Just as there isn't a problem with money in itself, the problem is the love of money and the resulting mess from people who can't control their greed.

Jesus turned water into wine; he wanted people to drink and have fun. The only time people should feel guilty is when they get wasted enough to lose self control and harm others.

-Vint[/quote]

Since we're already off-topic.... and speaking of "God's Folk", has anyone read "Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War" By Nathaniel Philbrick?

I just finished it. It tells the story about the Pilgrims organizing, planning and executing their journey to America and establishing a colony, and the book really goes into detail on King Philips War and the resulting aftermath. I think anyone interested in early american colonial history, native americans, and goverment/politics will find it quite good.

I grew up in the Plymouth area and realized after finishing the book, I didn't know much at all about what really happened and the overall scope of the situation. Check it out ;)

EDIT: PM me if your interested in the audiobook for download, I may have a "coupon". *wink wink*
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
mrsniffler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mrsniffler »

i consider ranged cav as light cav

and mele cav as heavy cav

:D
been kicked from clan
mrsniffles out
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

gods folk? lol
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

@ Cleeduz: King Philip's War is something most Americans know nothing about, and it was very important. I learned about it last year and was amazed (as you probably were) to know that the colonists and natives engaged in brutal warfare basically in places we know. I'm from Mystic, Connecticut and discovered to my horror that there was a native village in my town that was surrounded and burned in 1637, killing hundreds.

King Philip's War catches my interest in another sense. There was an Englishman who "betrayed" the Crown and fought with the natives in Rhode Island. He was the only man ever "hanged, drawn and quartered" in North America. That helps my argument that America is no stranger to bloodthirsty capital punishment... especially if you were a slave! As recently as 1750 good Massachusetts folk burned "bad" slaves and hanged their corpses in public for decades as a warning to others. If this happened in the "enlightened" North, imagine what they did in the South!

Not part of our history about which to be proud, I dare say :cry:
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Kaiser growing up in New England like I did, I was amazed to learn about all these atrocities that took place in our own backyard.

I found it especially interesting that it only took 56 years for the settlers, to go from colonization to enslaving/exporting the native peoples that were left remaining after the war. I read one statistic that stated that in 1620 (the year the pilgrims landed in Plymouth) to the end of King Philips War, nearly 85% of the native people were either killed or sold as slaves in the caribbean. Considering that most of the native americans that died from foreign disease was prior to 1620, the population of "Indians" must have been massive before we "enlightened" them.

Not a proud time at all.
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin