new lamest civ

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: new lamest civ

Post by KingVint »

Sorry to change topic. Could anyone explain how the fixed starting crates for China works? Is it that you always get a set amount of Food or wood, and if you were supposed to get extra wood, then you get gold instead or nothing at all?

Thanks for bringing that point up, Chaos,
-Vint
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

china always starts with 200 food and 300 wood, without getting the random 1 or 2 crates all other civs get, unless those are map specific crates, like hispaniola, deccan etc.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Chaos, I will test this tomorrow - or well, later today and post back my honest findings.
But here is the foundings for my scepticism of your strategy.
1) Why 10 villagers? It's a somewhat irrelevant number, okay - it allows you not to build a house, but you'd have to build a house anyway the moment you age/during the transition - so that can't be the factor as a house is like 10 villager seconds, so why not 9? Why not 8?
You have down time with 10, and I don't personally intend to rely on treasures for me not to be wasting villager seconds.
But 12 villagers is where you have minimal downtime as ports, and 13 is where I have none.
+2 villagers is significant, in my opinion and
I__CHAOS__I wrote: Claiming otherwise means that you played it wrong or lack the ability to be precise in the very first minutes
Two TC spam is not easy to maintain whilst spamming out Musketeers early game, especially if you're choosing to use two less villagers than me.
I think it's quite clear I don't lack the ability to micro my economy thanks.
2) Age up time difference, are you aware of the actual age up time difference? I'm not exact on this, but you talk of being able to cut any civ off early, well so do I.
I don't need to be in someones base sooner if I'm already getting my military out in greater numbers than Iro/Aztec/Sioux/China (yes, I have played all of these in rated games) and the extra economy is always something you need to be able to fall back on.
3) Simple principles of the game, if super fast age ups were everything, then everybody would be doing strats like this, any civ with an outpost type barracks would be OP, because whenever I play this strat I don't even need to use my TC for backup, it's purely the fact I have a Home City Shipment point imposed on their second hunt.
It is a mixture of economic power (if necassary, vs Brits for example) with early military mass.
I do not feel comfortable sacrificing the sustainability of the rush, and that is clearly where our views differ.

If you honestly believe that your strategy is so potent, please post some recorded games and I will watch any game you post if it is rated, because peoples skill seems to differ greatly between rated and unrated.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Chaos, and questioning my Experience in using these strategies/Portugal is a Joke as You have 16 games played with Ports in Total, in the last 6 months or more. and you have not played a rated game for nearly a year.
You have said you are undefeated using this strat, how many games have you used this B.O.? as its easy to say your undefeated when playing against people With a Lower Pr than Yourself in unrated games.
while of my knowledge i have lost 1 game in unrated while playing against People significantly higher than me and of equal Pr using this strategy.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Boo at ad hominems!
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Boo at ad hominems![/quote]
Can you clarify who this is aimed at?
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Well for one if it was directed at me, which i believe it was. its the wrong use of the term, in no way shape or form did i personally attack him, without addressing the argument at hand. all i said in my last post was that he claimed that i posted guesses and theories without experience, and defended myself for an ad hominem in the first place.
as chaos, without taking my points etc into consideration. claimed that i had no experience in either strategy, p-10 and cammels BO, and that i had only looked at the strategies in theory.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

lol guys, relax...
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Yeah it was Tubruk, I was just reading one post or other and I just think that saying that Chaos hasn't played a rated game in a year isn't a great thing to say, especially since he watches tons of recs :\
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

Paper wars are and always will be pointless. Why don't you all try playing these games out and seeing what actually is the better strategy? If not, then I think Cammel made a perfectly fair request for recorded games. He himself has already posted some, so if we have recs of both types of play then people can choose for themselves what they think is more effective. I think it is best that until that time comes, everyone just settles down. While it may not be full blown flaming in here, its certainly doesn't look very becoming of the clan to have this kind of stuff on the general boards.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

it's not because you don't play rated you suck, i play 95% of the time unrated supremacy in clan teams. And still i was able to beat tubby twice. ;) (i challenge you caesar)

Edit : except one or two players we are all noobs.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Yeah it was Tubruk, I was just reading one post or other and I just think that saying that Chaos hasn't played a rated game in a year isn't a great thing to say, especially since he watches tons of recs :\[/quote]

yeah its not a good thing to say but neither is dismissing the points i made, and pretty much saying im inexperienced, and saying he watches tons of rec doesnt mean anything i have 300 ish recorded games in my save games folder and have watched them all, not to mention th eones i deleted.
Last edited by Tubruk on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

edit: Double post
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

AoE is a strategy game, people should debate the strategies.
As far as personal attacks go I haven't seen any direct ones, but maybe a few passive aggressive comments that I feel were unecassary and I quoted one in a previous post.
People can use whatever strat they prefer, the cases have been made for both, however - if arguing one strategy is better than someone elses the person making these claims should have to support this with facts, evidence. This is my only qualm.
Also, Tubruk seriously has tested these strats and I'm aware of this, so comments saying that he has speculated are out of place.
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

I tried a port Musket Rush...it failed

Still think ports should go age3 with OP goons AND skirms