47 minute game: Drew vs Cammel on Yellow River

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

47 minute game: Drew vs Cammel on Yellow River

Post by 36drew »

Drew's France vs. Cammel's Japan

This was one hell of a game that really could have gone either way for the over whelming majority of the game. I went for a cav semi ff and raid to know effect -- he's japan -- really what am I going to do -- just buy some time.

I hit age iii and try to spam skirmishers to deal with his ashi. I research CIR and they do okay, but they I loose my whole army of skirms, currs, and falconets in a fight on the side of the map.

I get three tc's and start my way to 80 villagers. I end up running half of my villagers across the map on several occasions to avoid them getting pwned.

He pushes me back to my factories and I almost loose it. Finally in age iv there are many large battles. Samuari show up, make things epic. Heavy cannons show up, make things epic. Monitor ships show up, make things epic.

This was really one hell of a game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: 47 minute game: Drew vs Cammel on Yellow River

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

OK, you sold me on it. Downloading now ... ;)
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

EPIC it was

good game 36drew and cammel
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

vgg, i would have lost my nerve many times in that if i were drew
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

GG to watch. Cammel's samurai were really tearing things up, but Drew's solidly build eco really kept him in the game. Oh, the heavy cannon's helped too =). Samurai really seem like a unit you want to push hard into the person's base with once you have decimated their army; their siege is simply amazing.

Once again, well played by both sides and definitely worth the watch.
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""blayzer13""]vgg, i would have lost my nerve many times in that if i were drew[/quote]

Agreed, so much micro and bouncing between eco and military would have been way too much for me. Great game from both of you.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""blayzer13""]vgg, i would have lost my nerve many times in that if i were drew[/quote]

Many times I almost hit the resign button!
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

Ja I wonder how your heart handle it!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ha! by seeing it was on yellow river i innately hoped for the non-dry version(e.g. water) to see some water battles. i didn't got disappaointed in this but it was not until later in the game :-(
i fully expected drew to go 5 huss first, even though he was aware of ashis waiting for him, which indeed happened
i watched the game from cammels pov.
going sams was a nice idea, knowing you'll face tons of cuirs, i don't know why you didn't get out a single shinobi no mono, would do more i think than to wait to get those 290export monsters out. also nice one that you changed the golden pavillon bonuses, you put it on melee to allow your sams to break through and get the cannons+cuirs, i've seen other players go for Hp or speed bonus, to tank more shots from cannons/cuirs and/or to reach their destination faster, i forgot if you used cover mode for this or not. too bad you had no heavenly kami, you could have built an additional of 3 shrines , i always forget that too when i reached 200 pop, not counting the free pop from the tc and toshogu.
too bad the techs researched in the monastery couldn't be of any use
you reco was a bit broken at some points but nevertheless it was managed well
i was glad seeing that onin war card again, i used it very often a couple of months ago

and drew you are one lucky man :-P
cammels castles nearly shredded your frigate which had tons of cuirs and falcs onboard, i guess a caravell would fail in that case
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Wow, that was an excellent game. I like seeing Japan games that do not involve mere Ashi or late-game Yumi lamage. Samurai and Hatamoto vs. cuirs... what a joy to watch. I can't believe that Drew hung in there. If Cammel knocked out the factories, it would have been over; those Heavy cannon made all the difference.

This game should be nominated for an award or something. I had a steak dinner and a drink while watching it; it was better than any TV show :D Finally, may I say that I was reminded of the movie "The Last Samurai" as I watched those bold swordsmen defying Western technology by charging artillery... and almost winning! Lovely!

Brilliant game all around, guys. I would have copped out in the first 15 minutes!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Wow, that was an excellent game. I like seeing Japan games that do not involve mere Ashi or late-game Yumi lamage. Samurai and Hatamoto vs. cuirs... what a joy to watch. I can't believe that Drew hung in there. If Cammel knocked out the factories, it would have been over; those Heavy cannon made all the difference.

This game should be nominated for an award or something. I had a steak dinner and a drink while watching it; it was better than any TV show :D Finally, may I say that I was reminded of the movie "The Last Samurai" as I watched those bold swordsmen defying Western technology by charging artillery... and almost winning! Lovely!

Brilliant game all around, guys. I would have copped out in the first 15 minutes![/quote]

One of the best game reviews ever... :)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Wow, that was an excellent game. I like seeing Japan games that do not involve mere Ashi or late-game Yumi lamage. Samurai and Hatamoto vs. cuirs... what a joy to watch. I can't believe that Drew hung in there. If Cammel knocked out the factories, it would have been over; those Heavy cannon made all the difference.

Brilliant game all around, guys. I would have copped out in the first 15 minutes![/quote] +1 , that last hatamoto did look a bit like tom cruise , gg guys
- Dan
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I wouldn't have the patience or the concentration to have a game that long.

One of the reasons I gave up treaty games! :)

Well, in the latter days of my treaty career, it was only 10 minutes...

Good game gentlemen. =)