My proposal to boost ports

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

My proposal to boost ports

Post by 36drew »

I've been contemplating how ports can be boosted without turning them into an OP civ and I think I have thought of the solution.

All of their infantry cards (infantry HP, infantry attack, and infantry HP + attack) are not availible until age iv. On what rational this was designed I have no idea. I think that making the first 2 avalible in age 2 and the last availible in age 3 would really change things alot. I musket spam might have some meat to it. Also, it would allow a player to take advantage of the plethora of age iv cards that portugal has to offer.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: My proposal to boost ports

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

It would be a nice boost, they'd be better on team games too. I'd like to see the besteiros fixed too tho.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I think my idea of giving xbows 16 damage but 24 to heavy infantry will help balance their age 2 army.

I also proposed that exact same idea on AgeSanctuary a while ago, Drew. Maybe they'll listen.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I'm not expecting a patch anytime soon tbh.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

They said not till spring. I would assume that means May or so.
Groovy.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

I would give ports an extra 100 food to start, and have the the infantery combat cards moved to age 2 and 3 as suggested.
I would make besteiros 2000 wood again. Or even, make them 1500 wood and give only 15 units for the tech.

THat should do it. More boosts would make them OP for very good players.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

CM needs to be fixed though, it's too good, def for a civ like Ports
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

CM is a good but very dangerous card (Its probably one of my standard cards as I play dutch and ports).
It can help you survive 1 almighty rush.
But if you dont take control of the game after that, you are dead.
It only helps against lamers, not against better players.

With these changes you improve ports early games and so you reduce the need to play CM.

I think TAD balance more than enough rewards offensive/aggressive styles of play. Only sevastopol is the turtling card that annoyes me most. I would not like this game to be an all "spam units from reaching colonial" type of game.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Chaos, if you rush a Portuguese and call CM OP for shredding you... you need to realize that FFing with petards/map control completely obliterate a Portuguese turtle.
Groovy.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Chaos, if you rush a Portuguese and call CM OP for shredding you... you need to realize that FFing with petards/map control completely obliterate a Portuguese turtle.[/quote]

I didn't really say that ey
Fact is, CM is a really good card, and a civ that gets free TC's can abuse it much better than any other. If you FF, Port will take the Map controle before you btw, 3 TC's FTW
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Free TC's is the ports bonus, they should have something to compete? And CM is a good card, but lets not forget ports dont have villager cards, making them weak in colonial/early fortress.

If they try to take map control, you should always rush and level that second forward TC.

If you dont rush, just keep them of hunts. Ports are incredibly food heavy and if you make them go mills early, they will have a slow boom.

Everybody has those games with ports where you think, "Ive got through" and then another load of minutemen comes and shreds your army.
But thats just ports. You cant expect them to play the "house of braganca" card and just wait for you to kill them.

For aggressive players, CM looks like an easy way out for turtlers, but believe me, it isnt. It is only OP against people going for an all out very quick heavy infantery rush. ANd so it should be, I hate this kind of players, just build 1/2 barracks and trying to get your tc down.

It is so difficult managing your resources when your opponent is constantly circling your tc (or tc's). If they manage to keep away from your TC fire and minutemen, you are dead meat.

Good defensive play is just as difficult as good aggressive play.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

that's all good and well but beside the point tbh.
IF port early game gets boosted, it should not have 42 or 63 minute man in addition... I know CM is ok NOW as Ports need it, but with a boost it could turn into a super-lame civ
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^I wouldn't count on that happening. Ports need CM like ottos need tp's and dutch need banks.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

No because if ports were to have more age 2 options, they wouldnt have a BO including CM. Well some players would still have it, but not all.

After 15 minutes gameplay, the card isnt that good anymore, armies become a lot bigger and easier to replace.

The problem is much more in giving ports a decent age 2 game, is them becoming an op civ because of their massive boom potential.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

CM is now way OP, u have extra colonial malitia, which last 1 minute, and u can come bk a min later and kill them all, then freely seiege down their tc

and every civ needs a good strat, otherwise they are pointless.