General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Re: News Item - Robot Entertainment

Post by djdan »

I loved in AOE2 hopw wen a gate opened it didnt matter who you are friend or foe you could get into thebase that was OP, it will teach you to keep an eye on your gates! :D

Also I would prefer ROBOT to make the game more than MS, I just wouldnt want anyone like EA getting their grubby mits on it, Robot or BHG to make the next AOE :D
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I think they could either remake AOE 1 or 2. That would be good. But I also think they could improve upon AOE3, slightly lengthen the time frame, and expand it to Europe and Africa. Let's bring in the whole world and move up to about 1900. That would avoid dealing with WW1, yet we would still have funky new weapons that are not available during the AOE3 time frame, like breech-loading rifles (mega-skirms), maxim machine guns (like gatlings, but more readily available, and BETTER), breech-loading artillery (mega-falcs), light mortar-type artillery (nice anti-infantry; and fast) and dreadnoughts (mega-frigates). This was the Age of Imperialism, and I can imagine some cool native civs that could make an appearance (Zulus, anyone?). And we don't insist on historical realism. Let's let the Aztecs, Iros and Sioux stick around for good measure. In this game, too, we cannot do without the Italians or the Austro-Hungarian Empire!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

I believe Microsoft owns the rights to the Age of Empires franchise so they'd either have to hire Robot or Robot would have to create a new franchise.

My personal preference for a new game would be:
- AOE2 time period
- do not, and I mean absolutely do not, use a level system
- AOE3 card system (without levels of course) for added strategic options

The other AOE3 feature that is debatable is the treasure system. It was meant to provide additional game play in age 1 but I'd hope some other innovation could be added instead.
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

[quote=""djdan""]I loved in AOE2 hopw wen a gate opened it didnt matter who you are friend or foe you could get into thebase that was OP, it will teach you to keep an eye on your gates! :D[/quote]

I was freaking out for the first month of AOE3 because I couldn't find the lock gate button. Then I figured out they changed it from AOE2. I kinda miss not being able to sneak through an open enemy gate =)
dragonshinobi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dragonshinobi »

i think it would be cool if they did 1789-1890s

an area of history that is still colonial and isnt explored but still has powerful civs like the US, Spain, Japan (coming out of isolation), France, Britain, Prussia, and Russia.
GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Post by GreenDude »

Yeah, we are talking about the World Wats and yet we skip the fact AOE3 is up until before the American Revolution and Civil War. AOE3 does have some elements of the Revolution and Civil War, but only in the 4th and 5th age. Maybe start in the Revolution?
Saucy_Mentality
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Saucy_Mentality »

They've added a link to a press release on the page.
Seems like Robot will not be making AoE4 as it is "developing its own original IP." :(

Will be interesting to see what they come up with, although if it is Halo Wars-y I will be disappointed...
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Yeah I played the demo for halo was and it seemed less strategy orientated and more action orientated. Looks pretty but with no real depth. When an rts forces you to build buildings only at certain points it just kills the strategy for me. Just like Lord of the rings:Battle for Middle Earth.
Last edited by Blackadderthe4th on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

^ Number 2 they changed that though, you could pretty much build anywhere.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!