Team Cards and when to play them in Team games

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Team Cards and when to play them in Team games

Post by KingVint »

China has been really fun, but I feel the need to learn another civ. The Iroquois have a very good eco and numerous strats. A major reason for me switching to them was for the team cards. Team Furrier, Medicine (15% reduction in vill train time), and Mill Silos are the most useful of the team cards.

My question is how to work these cards into a BO. My current setup is:
3 vills
5 vills
Team furrier (people now have enough vills for this to be useful)
Conservative Tactics
Team Medicine (if the game is still going, people are usually developing excess resources about this time)

-What are your opinions and improvements upon this BO? After an hour of practice, at 7.5 mins into the game I have 10 Aenna and 10 Tomahawks; my eco is good but this is a low amount of units. I used to get around 32 units at this mark with China (shipment spam), yet I had less vills.

~Vint
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Team Cards and when to play them in Team games

Post by deadhanddan »

team cards are great, lord knows i send them a lot myself, but team cards are really only good choice if your teammates will also ship their civ's team cards, as i have found out numerous times, if your the only one using team cards then you will be the one lacking either in eco or military early on
- Dan
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

i usually go 3 vil 5 vil 4 vil but if we are rushing i send military and in 2v2 i send 4 kanya.

maybe you should try aztec, i think their a bit better for team games, team schooners (25% off of fishing boat wood cost) 15 wood fishing boats ftw! team 3 vils in age 2 and they have team hardwood (15% wood gathering for the team)
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

I played with Aztecs for a while before I purchased TAD. The fact that they have WP for the pit makes them very attractive as opposed to having to use my vills. I mainly need to learn which units are good for Age 3+ play. The only thing I did not like about the Aztecs was the unit transitions, which is also what I don't like about China. Those civs have upgrade cards for specific units, yet the units you use changes with your age. Iro has general Infantry upgrades which is attractive.

The Iro seem to have a very solid early game eco, yet late game it doesn't seem as good (I have been playing China too long). How does Aztec and Iro beginning, mid, and late game eco compare toward each other and toward other civs in general?

Thanks,
-Vint
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

aztec eco > iro , especially on water
- Dan
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

if Iro does wise woman and 5+4 vils his eco would probably be better until you get the 10 WP and fertility dance the hell out of the firepit.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]team cards are great, lord knows i send them a lot myself, but team cards are really only good choice if your teammates will also ship their civ's team cards, as i have found out numerous times, if your the only one using team cards then you will be the one lacking either in eco or military early on[/quote]

good dan, that is exactly what i told you last time :)
i grabbed that info from somebody, but forgot who.

team cards are great but not all. imo TEAM furrier is a waste, so is TEAM medicine. good team cards are 5 urumi from india or aztec 3team vills or team teutonic village from germany or team building hp.
but only if used right, you send them mostly when they are necessary

and plz always tell your team if you sent a team card ;) so they can adapt
KingVint
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KingVint »

If possible, please mention why you think the aforementioned team cards are not worth it. It would help me understand your logic and the game.

Thanks for the response guys,
-Vint
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ok, lets take a look:
Mill silos as a team card is definitly great, but ONLY if you and your teammates got each like 2 or more mills up, like in a 3v3 with 2-3 mills each it immediately pays off, plus, it's a age1 card which doesn't take slots in the important colonial and fortress card slots.

Team medicin gives just a tiny little bonus to villager train time, which will make like 32 vills instead of 30-31 in a longer run(unless you are 3 tc booming) but i find it still too little, you can only have 3 tcs in fortress, and in fortress there are much stronger and better shipments available AND it the bonus will only start then, so the 30 vills you made so far are made of normal "speed" :/

Team furrier boosts the gathering of hunts for you and your teammates, but i think that you need the woodtrickle early on. it is simply just a big difference early game i think,a nd your amtes can just get a market where they get their hunting bonus themselves ;)
but yeah, this card was or is played by some player

as russia you are better imo of sending Team dueling school:)
provided you have the eco
those brits get that really fast o.o

Oh and what really is op as iro is team birchbark on water maps. together with an aztec team schooners it's gg right away
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
adeadmanrunning
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by adeadmanrunning »

from the aztecs i think the 2 wp is a good team card. but i have found iros doesnt have the best team cards but a good civ all around.
"You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers