Clarkson for Prime Minister

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Clarkson for Prime Minister

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I just found an interesting petition on the net to make Jeremy Clarkson, t noted for the series Top Gear, the Prime Minister of Great Britain. I must say I think this would be a great idea. Even though Clarkson isn't to fond of bikers, after reading a collection of his columns from the Sunday Times I find I agree with a lot of what he says. This country is in a worse state than ever imagined in '1984' and I think he would do a lot to making this country great again and get rid of all the health and saftey, compensation, politically correct crap out there.

I know us Brits don't like to talk politics often, mainly because politicians and parties all talk the same crap, but please discuss your thoughts and if you like the idea of Clarkson as PM sign this petition. Even though Clarkson won't ever take the job, signing this might just show would be PMs how badly people want a change in Great Britain.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Clarkson for Prime Minister

Post by luukje »

Jeremy clarckson is a funny guy.
But shouldnt we all stick to our trade.

If you would have somebody driving a car with your life on stake, maybe you should take jeremy clarkson.
Or if you want somebody to do a funny talkshow, get clarkson

But do you want him to do brainsurgery on your kids? Better a surgeon maybe.

Do you want him to decide on your country fate?

Probably leave that to professional politicians, how boring, annoying and stupid they are.
They are probably more suited than jeremy clarkson.

You are much better of voting for the guy you think will do the best job.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Well I wouldn't want him doing brain surgery but running the country? Can't be that hard. Bush manages it. Schwarzenegger runs California. The problem with politics are the politicians. There all the same and we don't need another Brown or Blair making things even worse just so as not to upset any potential voters. These leaders hardly run the country by themselves its all the people coming up with the speeches and manifestos that really decide how the countries run. The only difference with Clarkson is that when someone comes up with some idiotic proposal thats designed to get a few votes from some loud mouth minority he'll say 'don't be stupid.'

I realize Clarkson won't ever be PM, he said himself he doesn't want the job, but if enough people say we don't want more of the same crap we've been having then someone different will rise up and actually do a decent job of running the country.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

In the USA we're in the process of nominating our presidential candidates.

All I can say is THANK GOD it looks like Hillary will NOT be nominated. *knock on wood*
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Clarkson for prime minister! Its not just his funny talkshow, its the fact he is so opinionated! he has a lot of things to say, hes just funny the way he comes out with things.
And come on no one can be worse than Gordon Brown Nose, copying what Tony Blair did.
Especially since this country is on the verge of recession(prediction withing the next 5-6 years i reckon).

Also kinda off subject but I would also like to point out that Americans shouldn't be too angry at the fuel prices recently, you should see it in the Uk at the moment.
Average 102.9p a litre = $2.01
Approx 3.8 litres to the gallon, so 102.9 * 3.8 = £3.91 or $2.01 * 3.8 = $7.64
Or average price of fuel at the moment in America is between $2.95 and $3.32
BIG difference!!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Actually, Dan... our gas just broke 4 dollars a gallon. That's still nothing compared to most of Europe, though.
Groovy.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

My time in the UK in the early 1990's taught me a few things about respect for other countries fule prices. I had assumed it would probably still be worse in UK but, you have just confirmed it. However, it is definately getting closer and closer to impacting American lifestyle. People are used to being able to affordably drive and price increases are really pushing a change in how the average american thinks about driving. People for the most part haven't had to ask themselves if they can afford to drive somewhere or show restraint in how much they're driving. Most American's have not traveled very much internationally and have little idea how unique or cheap gas has been even compared to other Free democracies. The low-middle class brit's life has far more budgeting and fiscal restraint than then their American counterparts.

I don't really care for the idea that comedians or in this case talk show hosts being president. Often these people are political comdians and they are quite cynical. The comic environment is one where a lot of logic,reasoning, and truth is put by the wayside for the comedy to work. These people observations and ideas are often quite horrible when it comes to having to peform and leader. The reasoning behind certain silly looking governmental moves is often far more sound than the comedians make them out to be.

However I can sympathize with the disgust about the candidates you have to vote for. I've always liked the idea of 'NONE of the Above' being an electable candidate and if NOTA wins it's essentially a vote of no-confidence by the people to it's Gov't and instutions that are responsible for picking candidates. Unfortunately this has implications that essentially leave whoever is current PM/pres in office.

I have some suspicion that brown nosing may be a title for anyone who is seen to agree or largely co-operate with a currently internationaly unpopular US president. Is GB making bad decisions for the UK that US suggests, or is he making decision he thinks are right that are also inline with US policy? What does he gain by capitulating to a US agenda? Japan and Korea also have some trouble's with Leaders seen as Brown Noser's to the US. I also suspect some of the Brown Nose leaders are people who buy into "the looming threat to the Wests way of life."

Thats a lot of talking politics for not trying to talk politics. I've tried to avoid hotbutton issues, and specific parties etc.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

[quote=""ZoRPrimE""]

I don't really care for the idea that comedians or in this case talk show hosts being president. Often these people are political comdians and they are quite cynical. The comic environment is one where a lot of logic,reasoning, and truth is put by the wayside for the comedy to work. These people observations and ideas are often quite horrible when it comes to having to peform and leader. The reasoning behind certain silly looking governmental moves is often far more sound than the comedians make them out to be.

[/quote]

Well strictly speaking Clarkson isn't a talk show host or a comedian, he is just very opinionated and gets his points across with a bit of comedy. As someone described him hes just your typical Englishman and representative of what I believe the vast majority of people think. In England at least anyway the Welsh hate him for some reason. As do anyone who used to work for Rover. And environmentalists. So quite a few people actually. :-P
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Reagan was a lousy actor and president. Bush was a lousy businessman and president. Together they almost ruined the world.
I dont know about schwarzenegger but If you want to compare clarckson with those, you just made my point

Running a country is a lot harder than some people might think. It's just that almost everybody has an opinion about it and some people like clarckson are very good at giving theirs. Its a bit like sports, everybody always thinks " i can do a better management of Chelsea than that Grant guy". In real life, being a football manager is probably very complicated. And I think football is a lot more simple than politics.

I agree that voting and choosing between the few high level candidates is sometimes like choosing between smelly cheese, stale beer or crap, you dont like either of them, but making a well considered vote is still the better option than giving some loudmouth your vote.
If clarckson were to say, im going full time politics from now on, and give his detailed view on society, its different.

I would never vote for him because he stands for the self centered egoistic view on society that has almost taken this planet to the end of life as we know it.

Here in belgium a few well known journalists have made the move to politics. Permanent. With succes. They are doing a good job. There have been a few other "celibrities" that have made the same move and most of those have just walked away after a few months "cause everyday politics are so boring". So voting on some famous comedian is a high risk.

Off topic, a Clinton - Obama team would be the best option for US president. Or better said, the republicans look even (a lot!!!) worse.