Iro card question...

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Iro card question...

Post by cleeduz »

I placed this card in my deck recently and haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. I thought I might be able to incorporate it into my rush (similar to a mini-Aztec Zap Rush), on maps like Yukon with plenty of gold treasures.

Does anyone have experience with this card? Is gathering that much gold just not worth it as Iro in early colonial?
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Iro card question...

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

It does ok when you want to rush with a big army, otherwise the mantlets kinda suck.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

takes a minute to pop out too :(
not worth it imho, use the gold for wood upgrades instead

also, i'd ship the 8 cherokee or 8 cree over the mantlets any day
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Maybe ok as a meatshield in your base if being attacked or to keep cav away from your aenna, but their movement speed and attack is not good enough for a card of that type. Save the gold and send the 5 curr for 500 gold in age 3 - now that's a good card!!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I tend to agree with you guys.

Mantlets aren't the greatest unit out there, maybe I'll give the 8 Cherokee card a try. My thinking is that this card might be able to be added to a rush or used as an expensive, slow training CM, provided you've got the extra cash of course. ;)

@ Rum --- 5 Currs is a great card and coin is a typically a little easier to come by in Age 3 for them, a definite must have card.

I'll try it out and if it works for me, I'll get a rec up in the next couple days.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

what about the sioux bro? :)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]what about the sioux bro? :)[/quote]

I'm still practicing offline with them. I haven't had the guts to try them "live" yet. I'm struggling trying to find an answer/solution to massed pikes, or any HI. Cetans don't seem to cut it, and BR/RR are kind of pricey, Also my micro isn't what it should be. ::/

My answer probably lies with Wakina, haven't used them that much. I noticed Ara did pretty well with them in his League game against Kaiser though. I will try to test that next, by defintion of the unit, it should work, right?. I'll also try get a rec up tonight, hopefully. :D

esmc3
Conscript
Conscript

Post by esmc3 »

I think that with the Iroq that one must do a fast rush. i have tried to ff or boom but it does not work.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

iro FF still rox imho, easy and very solid, just don't forget to take a TP at start. You reach III easily sub 7 min with a shipment ready.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

^^ I agree, the most viable option with Iros imho is still a colonial rush, it is just so strong. Their FF is strong also, and it is nice having another strong option to the cookie cutter Toma Rush. I have been taking my Iros to fortress kind of quickly lately (for me) and am amazed that I have neglected Prowlers in so many games thus far, stealth is always a nice option to have. ;)

As far as my original question goes...
I have replaced the Age2 Merc cards in my main deck with 4 vills. I think this will help the Iros notoriously weak eco, especially following a botched/failed rush.

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

one of my fav iro tactics is to aenna spam with my chief card, but ship 6 hawks and the 5 hawk bb for anti cav, this way all your early eco is all on food for aenna and buck the tame wolf, which provides a nice shield from cav with your shipped hawks and forces enemy ranged units into mellee where your aennas and chiefs crack shot will pown :)
- Dan