Navarone vs. Chinese Major

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Navarone vs. Chinese Major

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Well, this was a damn good game and I think I played quite a bit above my rank here. I also discovered a startlingly effective strategy with the Dutch. In age 1, eat all your herdables to age up a bit more quickly, throw down a forward barracks and start picking off villagers with skirmishers and shipped pikes. I started aging to colonial around 2:30 this game, and I didn't get any huge food treasures. I'm gonna try it some more and see if I can have any more success with it as opposed to a 4 bank turtle.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Here's the rec.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groovy.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Navarone vs. Chinese Major

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Sounds like a good game. I just have my first China 1v1 loss to a 1st LT playing Germans. I must admit it was a pretty good defence. He got Xbows out pretty fast! Unfortunately QuickSearch for whatever reason hasn't record my last 2 games even though I've had it checked for both! I wasn't too dissapointed as I had just come out of a game where I beat an Iro on Honshu.

I'll give it a look see!
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Nice job he went for the diciple FF strat that so many decry! I actually don't use that start when playing China. You handled the diciples really well. I was surprised you didn't focus fire his explorer to prevent him from making more but, as it turns out you didn't need that. China player made a big economic sacrafice to get that early age up and it cost him the game fairly quickly. Fun watch and short too :D

You had a very early army 17 military @ 6:20 compared to 5 @6:20 in the Mr.Milo game.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I just feel like as long as the Chinese player hangs in his base for a little while, sends a couple of his OP fortress shipments and then attacks with his mass of disciples / arques / changdao / hand mortars they will beat anything somebody could possibly have in Age 2 at that point. Plus, China has an easier time defending their vills against early harassment because of villages.

The inclination of a lot of over-confident Chinese disciple-FFers is to try to destroy all of the opponents units with disciples the second they get to fortress age, thinking that they will totally roll over everything since they are so OP. This can lead to losses. But if the disciples are backed up by 11 changdao + 10 arques or some of the other fortress shipments, they are really unstoppable.

If you try to straight rush the Chinese player with like pikes or something instead of making skirms, your pikes will just get owned the second the Chinese guy hits fortress.

Really tough imo. :?
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

nice game Nav!
early pressure was great.
Dutch have so many good strats...

only thing you could try is shipping the bank wagon sooner, it's really one of the best shipments imho.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

I think that 2nd LT you played the other day had tougher China but wasn't strong enough in Fortress to hold you down!
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

for dutch i go for 700w then bank wagon, when did nav send it??
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

never (cause he had 4 banks up already)
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

watched the game...yeaah interesting choice of cards lol, maybe send the bank wagon to save yourself 700 res, and u never put banks up for agges any reason?? maybe cudda helped ur econ a bit earlier on

but good play anyway, and good micro
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

700 wood is enough for 2 banks so it's a great choice as the first card, then send Bank Wagon. It's better two put to banks up than just 1 a little sooner.

GG Nav
Last edited by NEO_CrAz3n on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Actually the 1 bank wagon card gives you so much xp once it quickly builds that you practically have your next shipment ready so I always send it first upon age up. I've never time tested gathering the wood from crates and having villie build the banks but I'm pretty sure the wagon builds faster.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I sent military cards first and then by the time I could have sent the bank wagon, I already had four and it was pointless. Banks are good and all, but the Dutch economy can easily do without them early on, as this game shows.
Groovy.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Nav is right
but I think it's worth it to ship the BW as first card in age II, quickly followed by 8 pikes. The extra xp it gives and eco boost (without any VS loss) is worth it. Having the pikes out 40 sec later shouldn't be a problem.
This is how Iamgrunt usually played.

of course, the most agressive way is how Nav did, military first.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I played a few QSs today as Dutch and got completely pounded while trying this strategy. That game was obviously a fluke. I'll keep trying, though.
Groovy.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

I don't think that chinese guy was that good in that game, but this strat is good

although how were u getting pounded?? through military, or failed rush with bad econ? because sending the bank wagon then the 8 pikes would help, and only lose you a few seconds

I tihnk im gonna try this strat out actually, thanks nav !