Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

Build for British Musket/Hussar Combo

Post by 36drew »

Musket + Hussar Combo

Some pre-game points:
-Think about the civ you are facing and if this will counter it.
-Scout them to see if you need to adapt.
-This combo is pretty general and does well in lots of situations.
-Adaptation is your friend: a build is a build and nothing more, if you can't adapt it will only help so much.

That said there are some standard points to get you on your way.

Discovery
1. 1 villager to herd, the rest to food crates first and then wood (if you can see your 2nd hunt, send a villager to get it now.
2. Get your house(s) as soon as you have 140/280 wood respectively.
3. Your first villager should be qeued up by 0:08 max.
4. Constantly train villagers and age with 17 regardless of how many houses you made at start (some exceptions might include decan, carolina, etc)
5. The age up button should be hit by no later than 3:00 -- this will get you up at 4:30 which is standard and what you need.
6. Age up politician is the tower + 200 gold.

Transition
1. 3 vills on food, the rest on wood.
2. Get a market up as soon as you have 100 wood.
3. Research gang saw (10% to wood gather).
4. Research hunting dogs (10% to food gather).
5. Get one house up, or two if you have gathered some wood treasures and can fund it; the key it to make sure you have 200 wood so your barracks goes up immediately at 4:30. As soon as you have 200 wood + 40 pop, switch 3 vills to gold and the rest to food.

Colonial
1. 1 villager to gather the gold.
2. Place the tower to either secure hunts or turtle at TC (depending on the civ you are facing -- more defensive vs. agressive civs).
3. 700 wood is next card; when this arrives make as many houses as you can plus a stables.
4. As soon as your rax is up start spamming muskets + harassing villagers or taking down houses, markets, etc.
5. Next card is usually 5 villagers; as exception might be if you want colonial militia, 6 musket, or 6 longbows.
6. You can be constantly spamming either muskets or hussars now and mixing them in. With 600 wood and/or 4 villagers soon you need to keep on your opponent.

From here on out it's more about adapting to what he's doing. You should have a good idea from scouting, looking at decks, hanging around his TC during age up time, etc, about what he/she is doing. You don't need to go to fortress for a while usually; you can hang out in colonial and if your under pressure, landgrab is useful for hanging out at your TC. Don't be afraid to put up some towers and keep your cavalry moving (groups of 3 hussars can do lots of damage to eco, or at least starve an opponent).

GL. Any questions feel free to post here.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Re: Build for British Musket/Hussar Combo

Post by cleeduz »

Well written, Drew. :D

There are a lot of good points in there, I appreciate your adding the market research during transition (I always forget those) as well as age times vs. a strict 17 vill. age.

Also, is your 1st card in Discovery 3 vills? Or Distributivism?

Thanks again! :D
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""cleeduz""]Well written, Drew. :D

There are a lot of good points in there, I appreciate your adding the market research during transition (I always forget those) as well as age times vs. a strict 17 vill. age.

Thanks again! :D[/quote]

Aging with 17 vills regardless tells us the first card is 3 vills.

Nice write up drew, houses are 135/270 respectively, not 140/280. (minor detail though). Nice guide. ;)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""cleeduz""]Well written, Drew. :D

Thanks again! :D[/quote]

Aging with 17 vills regardless tells us the first card is 3 vills.

Nice write up drew, houses are 135/270 respectively, not 140/280. (minor detail though). Nice guide. ;)[/quote]

Of course. It's just that when you are gathering crates they gather in bunches of 20.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Nice to see a Brit guide :D
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Nice guide, Drew. British musket econ immediately translates into musket/hussar econ as soon as you add some more villies to coin. Basically it is all about food; muskets and hussars have a voracious appetite, so it's essential--as you write--to herd in additional hunts ASAP.

I have seen recs (and have done some games myself) in which I put up a stable first and get 5 early hussars for pressure. Then I will put up the barracks to add in muskets. Other times--as you've seen--I use 700 wood to build a second rax for a massive musket push. It's quite effective against Spanish, French, German, Iro and sometimes Otto (if you spot no artillery foundry :roll: ), I find. But don't rely on muskets against Russia, Japan, India or Dutch. As your econ grows, you can add in a stable for hussars and put more villies on wood. But I tend to be an aggressive early 1v1 player, and your turtle style will generally work against mine.

Just for clarity's sake, I would make sure you keep 3 vils on coin if you want a steady musket stream from a single rax. If you want hussars, I recommend at least 6 vils and likely more when you can. Just about everyone else should be on food. Solve your housing problems with the splendid 600/700 wood shipments... those cards are probably Britain's best (early game, anyway :-P ). Once you have a powerful musket/hussar army, you can begin manor-booming in earnest, if it's not already GG!

One last thing: In terms of cards for this build, I would suggest some musket and cav upgrades, and possibly advanced arsenal or Glorious Revolution. You can really pimp out your colonial British muskets; they can even stand up to mid-sized numbers of xbows and strels in late colonial.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)