Phone Scam

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Phone Scam

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

I just thought I'd share a little internet horror story with you guys. Maybe it will help one of you.

A few months back I changed internet providers because my provider was having a few problems with a router. I'll make this part of a long story, short. Trust me, this is the short version.

They were terrible, sold me things I specifically told them I didn't want, numerous times, changed the plan I specifically told them I didn't want because it was too expensive, charged me for virus software I already had and lied about if you could connect to them without a dialer. I called them, they said they were sorry, changed the plan back to what I wanted and the next month I received a bill for the price of the expensive plan because they never removed it. I then cancelled, got the confirmation number and went back to my old provider.

Six months later we noticed I was still be charged (the right plan this time) but I had cancelled 6 months earlier. I threatened them by threatening to call the Attorney General and was refunded eveything immediately.

In the meantime, while doing all of this calling around, a customer service rep at Embarq, my phone company, said "Do you know you have another one on here charging to your phone?". I couldn't believe it. A call forwarding company was charging me and I never signed up for it. I eventually threatened them, after a good battle, with calling the Attorney General, and poof, like magic my charges were gone.

There are lots of company's that name their company to fool telephone customers into believing it's a tax or phone charge. They'll name their company, The US Phone commission or Telecom & media services or something similar. They will usually just charge a few dollars to your bill so that you really don't notice. Most people don't!

Check your bills people. There may be one or more. They're slick ******* and they'll even try to get you to believe you ordered it online. All they need is your name, address and phone number and they've got you. Pretty easy information to get.

You can block anyone from charging to your phone. It costs just a few dollars a month and it's well worth it just for the piece of mind.

Thank God for a great customer service rep at Embarq! She said she recognized the name and had gotten calls, over the years, from people wondering what the charge was.

Phone companies must allow these companies to do this. It's a federal law. So check those bills today people!
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Phone Scam

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

unbelievable, what a scam :/
I must say that here's it's clear what we pay, you just kinda pick a pack (ADSL light, turbo, ... etc) and u know the fixed price for it. Nothing in addition can be charged. Makes it easy to check your monthly bill.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Chaos I love your signature because it quotes System of a Down.

On topic: That sucks, I'll keep that in mind in the future.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

yeah it does suck

chaos u 4got the best part of that song...hes gone so far to find our hope hes never coming back