India vs. China on Andes

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

India vs. China on Andes

Post by ZoRPrimE »

It's me and a 2nd LT playing a practice game. I think it's a pretty good strat to fight off China's rush. We were pretty well matched and game went into age 4.

watch, comment, enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: India vs. China on Andes

Post by KingKaramazov »

I'll give it a look.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

I'll have to watch it! I kind of struggled in a touch and go battle against a China 2nd Lieut in QS until about the 10 minute mark with Aztecs. He resigned in 14 minutes but it was a tough fight!

Mac
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, first of all, you didn't need Agra Fort at all in this game. You would have been better with a different wonder. Try to remember that the Agra Fort is useful only really as a high-HP drop off point for forward bases, or as a large obstacle in your base. The damage it does is rather pitiful, and any smart player will realize that. People tend to be afraid of it for no reason -- they treat it like an actual Fort, which does far more damage and has far more HP.

Second of all, once again it seems like your main issue is you need to focus on making as many units as possible, and upgrading them. I noticed you had a fairly small army going into industrial, plus you didn't upgrade your ghurkas to disciplined until you go to Industrial. You should have spent the resources to do those things before you spent the resources to go to IV.

Try to take better advantage of the TPs on the map. Don't forget that Incan natives are actually pretty useful. Plus, taking control of the trade route is very important. Don't just try to build castles here and there. Use units to consolidate it.

I wouldn't spend resources on siege elephants until you are actually attacking his town or if you need to counter some cannons / Chinese flying crows. They just aren't worth making for anything besides sieging and countering artillery.

Also, as always, focus on keeping villager production constant.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Thanks for giving me ideas how to improve my play. I usually try to find something someone did right in a replay review, but don't worry I didn't take it the wrong way. I know your just trying to help me out since you smoke me every game. Also noting if you thought any part of the strat was an effective counter to china rush might be good.

You may be right about the forts effectiveness with its attack and vs. knowledgable players "they'll just go around it?" However, I'm pretty certain that in this case the China player decided not to continue with his normal rush due to the wall and Fort. If I just had a wall I may have just bought my self a bit of time before he was in my base. And for anyone whose felt china's rush, staving them off for the duration it takes to bring down a wall probably won't save you. I'm not completely certain that because the agra fort isn't everything a euro fort is that it's still not effective at holding a chokepoint it's at least a 5000HP rax if nothing else.

You're right about my army production. I really do waste cycles thinking about what to produce and whatever else I might be forgetting, and when you Nav or Drew catch me off guard it just worsen's the effect. I need to get to the point where I crank out effective troops with my resources. I tend to lull after a certain point. Age 4 was probably completely uncessary for me. It does give me a near-permanent Urami production capability though.

I was actually planning on taking over the TP's whole game didn't get free brain cycles to do it until I had him pretty much beat. If you notice at the end I have 3 of them goign up. My whole goal vs. China on this map was to turtle and boom out, not fight for TP control in early game. Inca's have the infantry speed boost which I find quite nice and they're great natives to get. I think I got unlucky/unwise with my TC placement being close to his gather's otherwise I could have hidden my 2nd base and had effective pincer attacks. I wanted 2nd base more than a TP at that point. On Andes I always find scouting the center island vital.

I actually noticed I was getting siege elephants too late, but decided to keep the shipment that was halfway there coming instead of changing it. I need to get some age 3 howdah in my deck. Although if you watched closely I take out 3 maybe more hand mortars with them. I used there long range sige to free the rest of my troops to press attack while they took down a rax and village. Howda would have been far more effective.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

KK, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the agra fort. Early-game, soldiers are almost all infantry, and infantry travel in right groups. That maximizes the splash damage caused by the fort, and its benefit is very helpful early-game. I almost always make it first when I play India. It also gives your troops a place to run to if they get ambushed. Acting as a barracks AND a drop-point with 5000 hp is incredibly helpful.
Groovy.