Anyone good enough to give me some feedback

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Anyone good enough to give me some feedback

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Know you're all busy playing league games, but, if anyone's got time could you give me some comments on my game - didn't get a mentor :(.

Here's a 1v1 vs. Russia which I managed to win. My style probably looks a little chaotic.

These days, I'm aging with 9 settlers for a quick age 2 (and not playing an age 1 shipment). Then I'm using Inf. Training to go straight to 10 W.P.. To be honest, I'm not bothered about getting rushed, because my age is quick and W.P. & Firepit make a strong combo. By building around my F.P. I can see stuff coming, and I can shoot warriors out really quickly. And, if they go for my F.P., I can clought them with my W.P. (which are actually good fighting units).

Anyway, this game should show that.

My style generally involves a lot of F.P. micro. Dropping resource shipments, and then using production dance to make them into units quickly. Then switching between making warriors and using the damage dance.

I know I drop settlers early for my quick age, but, I'd say I'm swapping them for W.P.s. Plus, with a strong F.P. its easier to boom.

If you've got the time, I'd appreciate hearing your views:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Re: Anyone good enough to give me some feedback

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Think I posted the wrong game... Here it is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I'll take a look. Did you finally create a water deck? :P
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Thanks Huggy. I did create a seperate waterdeck but I think I deleted it :(.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

So i guess you gotta do it again :P
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I'll check it out
I have hard times believing that a 9 vil age up is viable when followed by a boom, but then again I learn new stuff every day :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I watched this game and I think the strat is not so good
age up time was not so fast (3.30+) and you had your WP's at 7.00. I'm sure you can have all 10 WP's out almost 1 min faster without suiciding your early eco.

not sure why you kept making maces vs russia, coyotes are the way to go.
Nice use of the Firepit throughout the whole game though!
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

age up time was not so fast (3.30+) and you had your WP's at 7.00. I'm sure you can have all 10 WP's out almost 1 min faster without suiciding your early eco.
With this strat, reaching age 2 at 3.30 is pretty normal. And that is fast. I prob made efficency mistakes in the game I posted. Still trying to get it sleek.

k, but it's normal to get 10 W.P. at 6.15 with this strat. But, I stress that's after I've collected enough of the wood shipment to get a W.H. up (which is settlers off the firepit). I agree you can do it in 6.00 with a regular start, but, if I didn't put the W.H. up it would probably be around that too.

With the "suiciding your early eco"... what are we talking about? A 2-3 settler down time to age quickly, plus skipping the 3 settler card. That's 5-6 settlers down. However, I've dropped 700 wd, and 5-6 settlers would take a while to collect 700 wd, so, it terms of resources collected 'early' my eco is up on a regular start.

My 5-6 settler down could be easily settled but shipping 5 settlers. However, I prefer to go with the 700 fd shipment, switching my F.P. to production dance, and getting my resources into Maces & Settlers quickly (i.e., producing them manually rather than shipping already built so I get the XP).
not sure why you kept making maces vs russia, coyotes are the way to go.
Early on, I'd rather go with Maces behind my houses (and in with the W.P. & settlers on my F.P.) than with Coyotes. This is because if he builds muskets, or includes them with his stretlets, I could be in real trouble. With that game, I'd still go Maces early. However, I think you're right in the fact that there was a period where I was still going Maces when I probably should have gone to Coyotes earlier. Also, your earliest Coyotes won't have the Coyote upgrade.
Nice use of the Firepit throughout the whole game though!
Thanks. The F.P.s like your engine. With a full 10 W.P. Firepit you've got so much versitility - Massive production, Fast defensive Warriors, Quick XP collection, +20% etc Damage increase in battles.

Thanks for the feedback Chaos. Your critics are really helpful.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

try to get some more recs up, really interested in how it works out.
maybe show it under optimal conditions by playing vs sandbox.

I think you underestimate those 5-6 vils early. As soon as you consumed the wood shipment, you fall-back on a small eco.
And with the nerfed fertility dance, you're better of getting xp from the xp-dance imho, instead of building units faster.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Hi Chaos,

I've attached a nice recording I just played on QS. The map was aweful, I had settlers vulnerable all over the place, however, it terms of getting the B.O. tight I was generally really happy with it. Somehow I managed to win the game too. Was looking really bad at one point. Game also shows that W.P. stand up quite nicely to conventional units.

Here's the details:

I actually started with 1 extra food crate and 1 extra wood crate (i.e., 4 fd & 3 wd) - although having an extra wd crate doesn't really make any difference.

I reached 10 settlers in 1 mins 45 secs.

I started to age at 2 mins 51 secs (i.e., T.C. queue idle for 1.06 secs)

I reached age 2 at 3 mins 21 secs.

I had 10 W.P. out at 5 mins 57 secs. Plus, I'd started building a W.H.

So, on completing the 10 W.P. I had 10 W.P. & 15 Settlers.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

great, will check it out !
those times sounds much better already