Aztec Start B.O.

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Aztec Start B.O.

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

For anyone who's interested, especially Azzy players, here's my start B.O. I've been using it for quite a few games now and it works as well as other styles I've tried.

(1) Go from 5 to 9 settlers. Don't build a house or ship anything age 1.

(2) When you have 800 fd, start to age with the Messenger (quick age).

(3) During the transition build a house and continue to collect food.

(4) When you hit age 2 (which should be way before your opponent):
i. Fill your settler queue
ii. Switch your firepit to produce W.P.s
iii. Select Infantry training as your 1st card; and 700 wd as your 2nd.
i.v. Put 4 settlers onto the F.P. with your W.P.

(5) When the Inf. Training shipment arrives it should produce your 2nd W.P. almost immediately. Then put as many of your remaining settlers onto the F.P. as you can (although still keep enough on fd to let you continue producing settlers).

(6) When the 700 wd shipment arrives collect it. Build a house outside of your F.P.; Build a W.H. infront of your F.P.; Then build more houses outside of your firepit to give you a line-of-sight and to hamper any Cav which will have to run through it to reach your F.P.;

(7) Select 700 fd as your 3rd shipment.

(8) When you have 10 W.P.s, take settlers off F.P. & switch to production dance and build Maces keeping them around your F.P. and fill your T.C queue.

(9) You'll probably then want to ship 10, 9 Maces, or the 600 wd, 600 fd.

And go from there....

It seems to work pretty well. Let me know what you think.

Then go from their.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Re: Aztec Start B.O.

Post by GeneralMichael »

This one sounds kind of risky to me since you are making soldiers pretty late in the bo

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Not at all.

The infantry training card takes 40% off the time it takes to build warriors (minutemen) from your F.P. With the houses around the F.P. you can switch to that dance the moment you see anything coming. And with settlers and W.P. on your F.P., Warriors pop out immediately. Also, W.P.s are good fighters too. For example, a few times I've had a opponent try to get onto my F.P. to kill settlers with Hussar. You can just turn the W.P. onto the Hussar and the W.P.'s will win.

It's safe believe me. Infact, I quite like being rushed because often the opponent comes out worse than you do. (Plus being Azzies, if your W.C. is around you pick up extra XP so you can send 10 Maces, etc. as you're being attacked.

I try to build Maces as I go along. i.e., try to keep my resources at zero so everything is on the table and I've got off the XP from building them. I don't feel vunerable. If you mix the Maces into your F.P. behind the houses they can shoot at anything coming and it's quite hard for an opponent to pick them out amid the W.P.s and settlers. Infact, in the opening stages I don't bother with Puma Spearmen. The Maces stand up well, as Hussar have to navigate the houses and if need be you can turn your W.P. on them.

This strat is *very* different from trying to go to 10 W.P. from a normal start. You're aging so early you're well underway getting the W.P.s before your opponent is in a position to get anything near you. The old way I did feel vunerable to an early rush. This way, I don't feel vulnerable.

Sun.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Interesting strat. Presumably the idea is to have 10 wp within about 6 mins.

The 3rd card being 700 food sounds risky though, as you can only queue up 5 mace at first. Isn't it better to send 10 mace and start queuing them at wh. You can then have about 20 with WP as anti-cav.

Maybe 4th card could be villagers to help the food boost?

Any chance of a rec?
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Interesting strat. Presumably the idea is to have 10 wp within about 6 mins.
Yes, although I tend to prefer to go over 6 mins so I can get a W.H. up. for defensive reasons.
The 3rd card being 700 food sounds risky though, as you can only queue up 5 mace at first. Isn't it better to send 10 mace and start queuing them at wh. You can then have about 20 with WP as anti-cav.
You don't really need anti-cav early. If 3 Hussar come in, or whatever, he'll have to come within your 'house zone' around your F.P. In which case you 10 W.P. or 6,7,8 or however many you've made can massacre the cav.

Might have got it wrong on the BO I posted, but the 700 fd shipment (your 3rd shipment) normally arrives when you have 10 W.P. If you switch your F.P. to production dance + remember the +40% from the I.T. card, you can pop Maces out like no-bodies business. Yes, sure you could ship in 10 Maces, but I like the XP from building them and I normally have the F.P. on production dance then anyway to catch up with settlers.
Maybe 4th card could be villagers to help the food boost?
Could be 5 vills, yes.
Any chance of a rec?
I posted it in the recorded games section. It's not perfect by any means but it should give you an idea. I'll probably keep using this B.O. as my norm until I get it pretty sleek. e.g., I often forget to put my 4 settlers on the F.P. during the I.T. shipment period, or forget to change the F.P. dance to Preist dance. Just small things but it makes a difference!

Enjoy. Remember, I'm not presenting this as the ultimate Aztec B.O. or anything - that'll solve all your problems. It's just something different. It's more of a turtle strat initially, and you can have great fun with your F.P. dances. Also, because I've not seen anyone else using it, I'd be interested in what people think when they see me aging so quickly an my score being initially a little low (e.g., do they thinking I'm going to rush? Do they think they must be playing a noob?, do they even notice the quick age? etc.)