Beware of Ranks!

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Beware of Ranks!

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Hi guys. I have a particular philosophy about rated games and rankings in general. Because AOE3 is a game--and games are, according to the dictionary, "activities engaged in primarily for amusement or diversion"--I recoil from the ranking system. I am reading a book about power and discipline at the moment, and I am confirmed in my thinking about ranks: "...Distribution according to rank (or grade) has a double role: it marks the gaps, hierarchizes qualities and aptitudes AND punishes and rewards...Discipline rewards simply by the play of awards, thus making it possible to attain higher ranks and places...Rank in itself serves as a reward or punishment."

How often, after a rated game, have you felt "punished" if your rank declines? On the other hand, have you felt "rewarded" if your rank improves? I know I have felt this way, and then I remember "this is a game" and I wonder why I let myself have these negative emotions. Since joining N30, on the other hand, I have largely escaped the rank business, and I am enjoying AOE3 as I never have before for what it truly is: an activity I engage in for amusement and fun! :D Sure, I'll play a rated with my buddies once in a while, but in case you ever wonder why I play mostly unrated, it's based in principle :-P Just thought I would share that you with you all.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Beware of Ranks!

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Well said. I agree 100% with you. A game is not a game if you take it too seriously. If you win, cool. If you don't, so what? A game is invented to bring enjoyment to people's lives.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I like ranks and people like ranks for the same reason the dog gives its paw to the owner. We all like to get the cookie :p
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I don't know if anyone in AOE3 history has ever looked into rank so much. However, you perspective is based on that of a behaviorist, and I think that behaviorism is only one way to think about it. I still have a tough time believing that higher order brain thinking is fully accounted for by rewards and punishments.

This is by no means a critique, just more stuff to think about.

And also, I feel really damn rewarded when I win a game exclusively by killing villagers and never actually making a military push.
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Rated games are fun but I prefer unrated. I can relax a bit more when I play unrated. I'd have to say you really have a N3O attitude where rated games are concerned. Who needs a game to FEEL like work. Not me.

I understand drew & sporting's points too because it's oh so sweet when you win a rated game. I haven't had too many of those though.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

CrAz3n, how have you been man? long time no see!!
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""NEO_CrAz3n""]Rated games are fun but I prefer unrated. I can relax a bit more when I play unrated. I'd have to say you really have a N3O attitude where rated games are concerned. Who needs a game to FEEL like work. Not me.

I understand drew & sporting's points too because it's oh so sweet when you win a rated game. I haven't had too many of those though.[/quote]

Could not have said it better myself, Craz! It's about the feeling that comes along with it.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I haven't played rated in ages and I haven't had more fun with this game. I don't even play 1v1 anymore because I can really get into those and all of a sudden I'm completely absorbed into the game and stressing everytime a misclick or command lag buggers me up. Its just too tense and not as chilled out as team games.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

A game stops being a game when you take it too seriously.
'Nuff said. :)