the last great battle betwen men

it is so overlooked but aoe has so many units based around this time eg

brits =longbow
french- cuss
ottos= abus
germans= ulans
spanish=pikes
america= oh they havent had a real war. . . . . . ever

so what im trying to say is every civ has a counter its just got a little more complicted now TAD is out

so does anyone still know the counter system???

hope u like my grammer camel
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: the great WAR

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I lost all the counters when TWC came out and the native civs buggered everything up. Just couldn't be arsed to learn counters for every civ every time an unbalanced patch was released.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

America hasn't had a real war ever? You got some readin' to do my friend..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

[quote=""scoop10""]america= oh they havent had a real war. . . . . . ever[/quote]

Nice...

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Groovy.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Im gonna put in the effort in not writing anything in this thread.....yet. Lets c where this leeds.

Out
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

As much fun as America bashing is, America has had real wars, and things would be very different if they weren't there in WWII for one.
Scoop, I don't understand this post..
The counter-system?
There's nothing confusing about it, it's light infantry, heavy infantry, light cav, heavy cav etc...
Only exceptions are like Coyotes which are treated as cavalry.
Also, no, Scoop, I don't really like your grammar or your spelling, but trying to change that would be like trying to get full by eating dust.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

America had no real wars? Wth have they been doin all over the 20th century? o_O Or even before that America was just that east coast part now its huge :\
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

did America ever had peace ???
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

[quote=""Cammel""]As much fun as America bashing is, America has had real wars, and things would be very different if they weren't there in WWII for one.
[/quote]

Yeah Germany would probably still be Russian, the Soviet Union would have been the dominate/only superpower having gained access to all the German scientists, rocket technology and atomic weapons they were developing. Of course the pacific war would have been lost and Russia and Japan gone head to head in a war I can only see Russia winning.

Of course this is all what if scenarios but its fun to speculate. :-P

P.S. Of course America has fought many wars, they can just never seem to turn up on time for them! :-P
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

To be honest, without the US, all of Europe would be speaking German. Or at least have been under nazi rule for several decades. Let's thank the Japanese for pearl harbor and gettin the US pretty mad.

The US have had their wars, vs the native americans, french vs brits, indepence, civil,... and they have fought even more outside of their country.

But they haven't had the endless fights the rest of the world has known, and they havent had a modern war in their backyard. So yes, there's something in "never havin experienced a war". But here in Europe, the people that have really lived through WW2 are getting a small minority.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

[quote=""luukje""]To be honest, without the US, all of Europe would be speaking German. Or at least have been under nazi rule for several decades. Let's thank the Japanese for pearl harbor and gettin the US pretty mad.
[/quote]

Without the US supplying Brittan things would have been very bleak for us indeed and the war would have dragged on for a long time with unknown results, however I do believe that Germany was doomed the moment Hitler Invaded Russia. The Russians managed to hold the German advance outside Moscow and the battles for the cities of Stalingrad and Leningrad exhausted the German military strength.

When Russia finally beat back and trapped the 6th army in Stalingrad I think their war production was greater than that of Germany's as was Britain's at that point. From then on the Third Reich's Eastern Armies were in full retreat and I believe it was inevitable that Russia would win out. They had many more resources in terms of Tanks, men and planes than the Germans and after so much long bloody conflict the Russian's were determined to take revenge and take the fight to the enemy and would have fought a long bloody war to destroy the Nazi empire. Just look at the fighting for Berlin.

This is just the impression I have picked up from many different sources over the years. I think without the US much of Europe would be speaking Russian and not German.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

No way.

Without US help, Britain would probably have agreed terms with Germany in september 1940. That would have spared the luftwaffe who suffered tremendously in the battle for britain. That would have given the german marine free acces to the baltic sea and beyond. Image leningrad being shelled by the bismarck. Or Sevastopol.

Even with prolonged resistance from Britain, Germany would have taken control of the meditaranian, and secured acces to the persian gulf. The german war industry would not have suffered from carpet bombing. That would have given the germans all the resources and freed up another 1/3 of their army to push beyond Leningrad, Stalingrad and moscou.

The 1941 campain was cut short by the weather. Or better, It began to late because of Mussolini's failures in greece and the middle east. I dont think that would have hapenned without US support. If the 1941 campain in the east had started quicker, they might have rollen on to moscow.
Do not forget the US aid to rebuild the red army after the catastrophic defeats in 1941.

It was the fighting on three fronts (Europe, north africa and eastern front) that exposed the limitations of the "small" germany vs the might of Britain, The US and the USSR. No way this happens when only fighting one of these three. German decision making was hampered by the knowledge that victory had to be achieved as soon as possible, because they could not win a war of attrition, surrounded by the immense powers Russia, Britain and US.

In the end, we will never know. And the war probably had the "happy" ending (the good guys winning).
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

The result of WWII was decided when Germany AND Russia could not supply their troops. Supplying troops with rations and ammunition decideds 95% of all wars. The US ability to keep their troops 1. fed 2. armed 3. motivated 4. allied w/the good guys is what won that war.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

fully agree with soccerman, germany was already in a terrible shape and running low on many supplies
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Not always. But still very often. Single battles are often the result of tactical decisions. At least when both parties are of equal strength. The blitzkrieg was the result of strategic and tactical victories. Jsut like Rommel in the dessert. But the defeats of Germany and Japan were due to the enormous US war machine.
A war can be decided by a string of individual victories, but it's more likely that the partie with the most resources prevails in the end.

But it makes the outcome of WW2 without the US intervening even more likely: a german Victory. Germans would have been able to keep their core army intact, the veterans of the blitzkrieg, and would have kept on rolling over the russians.